WINDY CITY TIMES
||PFLAG E.D. Speaks at Chicago Reception
by Amy Wooten
This article shared 2410 times since Wed Sep 14, 2005
Pictured Elizabeth Brown ( PFLAG National field and policy coordinator ) ; Mike Neubecker ( PFLAG Great Lakes Regional Director ) ; Janice Neubecker ( in charge of a PFLAG Detroit chapter ) ; Jody Huckaby ( PFLAG Executive Director ) ; Lee Neubecker ( son of Mike and Janice ) ; David Neubecker ( Lee's partner ) ; and host committee members Dr. Carlos Mock and Bill Ratton. Photo by Amy Wooten
A special Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays ( PFLAG ) reception and fundraiser was hosted by North Side couple, Lee and David Neubecker, Sept. 11, where PFLAG National Executive Director Jody Huckaby discussed the progress of the organization and its state organizing plans.
At the reception, Huckaby told Windy City Times that he hoped the event was just as much about increasing awareness as fundraising. 'One of the things I'm trying to do is help raise the awareness across the country about what PFLAG does.' His mission to let people know the group is about much more than support, such as education and advocacy.
Last year, PFLAG National launched 'Our House to the State House,' a campaign to increase the group's action at the state level and bring chapters together to organize and connect with community allies. 'So much stuff happening legislatively is happening at the state level,' Huckaby said. With 11 states passing amendments to their state constitutions to ban same-sex marriage, 'It's clear that we need to be much more active at the state level,' he continued. 'So one of our major goals is to increase the sound of the voice—the PFLAG voice—across the country because we know that other organizations like Family Research Council and others … are very loud and they're having a big influence at the federal level and at the state level. And we [ PFLAG ] need to be as loud or louder.'
This article shared 2410 times since Wed Sep 14, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PFLAG National mourns passing of past president Paulette Goodman 2021-08-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—PFLAGers everywhere mourn the death of Paulette Goodman, who served as PFLAG National President from 1988 until 1992. Goodman was born in a Jewish family, ...
|Former PFLAG board member Rev. Gil Caldwell dies 2020-09-16|
- Former PFLAG National board member Rev. Dr. Gilbert H. Caldwell passed away, the organization announced in a press release. A retired United Methodist Church minister, Caldwell participated in the 1963 March on Washington, the 1964 Mississippi ...
|"PFLAG Votes" film aims to get out the vote 2020-09-02|
--From a press release - WASHINGTONThis Friday, Sept. 4, PFLAG National will release its latest film project, PFLAG VOTES, as part of PFLAG Votes 2020, its broad get-out-the-vote initiative for the general election. Likely voters are encouraged through PFLAG Votes 2020 ...
|PFLAG National, Wear Your Voice elevate voices of LGBTQ+ Black, Indigenous, People of Color 2020-06-23|
- WASHINGTON (June 23, 2020) This month, as the media turns its lens to the dangers faced by marginalized people, specifically Black people and Black LGBTQ+ folks, PFLAG National and Wear Your Voice launch #YouAreMyPride, a ...
|PFLAG to launch TransKids, SoFierce social media campaign on March 31 2020-03-27|
- WASHINGTON, DCBeginning Tuesday, March 31, PFLAG invites allies, family, and friends of transgender kids (trans kids) to join a an uplifting social media campaign called #TransKids ...
|PFLAG National to honor George Takei with the 2019 Betty DeGeneres Advocate Award 2019-11-14|
- WASHINGTON, DC. | PFLAG Nationalthe nation's first and largest organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people, their parents and families, and allieswill honor actor and advocate George ...
|NATIONAL Kansas guv, PFLAG leadership, activist dies, gay chorus 2019-01-23|
- GLAAD hailed Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly for issuing an executive order that adds "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" as a protected class under state law, reinstating an executive order once issued by former Gov. Kathleen Sebelius ...
|Brian Bond Named New Executive Director of PFLAG National 2019-01-17|
- WASHINGTON, D.C.Today, PFLAG Nationalthe nation's first and largest organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people, their families, and alliesannounced that Brian Bond will ...
|LGBTQ groups condemn federal commission move to rescind school disciplinary guidance 2018-12-19|
- NEW YORK, NY Yesterday, GLSEN, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC), the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), and PFLAG National condemned the recommendation of the Federal Commission on School ...
|NATIONAL Gay doctor, PFLAG death, Emma Gonzalez, 'pumping' 2018-12-04|
- NBC News recently profiled Dr. Demetre Daskalakis, who the outlet called the "radical gay doctor" behind New York City's declining HIV rate. Daskalakisdeputy commissioner for the Division of Disease Control at the New York City Department ...
|PFLAG conference Nov. 10 in suburb 2018-10-17|
- The PFLAG Council of Northern Illinois is hosting a day-long PFLAG Conference on Saturday, Nov. 10, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., at Southminster Presbyterian Church, 916 E. Central Rd., Arlington Heights. The event will feature nationally renowned speaker ...
|Children's Museum hosts drag queens on Family Equality Day 2018-06-12|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - A packed crowd of pudgy-faced kiddos accessorized in handmade rainbow-beaded bracelets and PFLAG identity pins waved rainbow flags high above their heads, beaming with pride as they danced to live music and listened to Storytime with ...
|Mother's Day 'Kisses' event raises $3,000 2018-05-22|
- The annual PFLAG "Kisses from Mom" fundraiser at Sidetrack on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 13, raised about $3,000. PFLAGers handed out kisses (both chocolate and real) to patrons and passers-by and asked for donations. Fifty percent ...
|PFLAG Celebrates 45th Year of Leading on Family Acceptance 2018-03-05|
From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. On March 11, PFLAGthe nation's first and largest organization uniting families and allies with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) peoplewill celebrate 45 years since its founding ...
|Lambda files suit in union case 2018-02-14|
- Lambda Legaljoined by the Human Rights Campaign, National Center for Lesbian Rights, National LGBTQ Task Force and PFLAGfiled a friend-of-the-court brief with the U.S. Supreme Court in Janus v. American ...