WINDY CITY TIMES
||PETA wants gay-friendly school to be veggie
This article shared 3883 times since Wed Oct 22, 2008
PETA is urging the design team of the proposed gay-friendly Chicago public high school to institute a vegetarian-only menu.
If approved by the Chicago Board of Education on Oct. 22, the Social Justice High School Pride Campus would open in 2010. While the Pride Campus would be open to all students, it would focus on creating a safe and affirming for LGBTQ students and their allies.
In a letter to Social Justice High School assistant principal Chad Weiden ( who would serve as the Pride Campus principal ) , PETA's director of media relations Michael McGraw wrote, 'Oppressionregardless of the species or sexual orientation of the victimis dead wrong. To truly succeed in teaching tolerance and fighting oppression, the Pride Campus needs to keep prejudice out of its classrooms and off its plates.'
This article shared 3883 times since Wed Oct 22, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|GLAAD responds to weekend of anti-LGBTQ+ violence, poll suggests 2/3 of GOPs back discussion of LGBTQ+s in schools 2022-09-26|
-- From a press release - (Monday, September 26, 2022) GLAAD condemns a wave of violence against the LGBTQ community across the country and calls for increased protections and support for LGBTQ people and youth, as new data reveals that a vast ...
|Coalition decries Des Plaines candidate training sponsored by anti-LGBTQ+ groups 2022-09-25|
- A coalition of parents, educators and pro-LGBTQ+, pro-equity groups held a press conference Sept. 24 in front of the Courtyard by Marriott Chicago O'Hare hotel in Des Plaines to protest a school-board candidate training being held ...
|BOOKS 2022 #BannedTogether virtual auction taking place Sept. 22-25 2022-09-22|
- On Sept. 22-25, non-profit organization Pride and Less Prejudice (PLP) will hold its second annual #BannedTogether virtual auction to raise $10,000 to send 800 LGBTQ+-inclusive books to elementary schools across the United States and Canada. The ...
|Pritzker appoints Isoye to chair the Illinois State Board of Education 2022-09-19|
- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker appointed Dr. Steven Isoye, a former educator and superintendent, to chair the Illinois State Board of Education, effective immediately. Isoye follows in the footsteps of Darren Reisberg, a member of the LGBTQ+ ...
|Gov. Pritzker adjusts COVID-19 requirements to address current needs 2022-09-15|
-- From a press release - Chicago As part of his continuing plan to carefully unwind the state's COVID-19 executive orders, Gov. JB Pritzker updated testing requirements for school and childcare personnel, rescinding the requirement ...
|SCOTUS sides with New York university's LGBTQ+ club for now 2022-09-15|
- On Sept. 14, the U.S. Supreme Court, by a vote of five to four, declined a request from Yeshiva University in New York to block a New York County Supreme Court order that requires the university ...
|IHSA to make history when two Black women football coaches face off 2022-09-15|
- When DuSable and Fenger high schools face off on the football field on Thursday, Sept. 15, the game will make IHSA (Illinois High School Association) history. Fenger's Jouscelyn Mayfield and DuSable's Konesha Rhea will be the ...
|Campus Pride releases 'absolute worst, most unsafe campuses for LGBTQ+ people' 2022-09-09|
-- From a press release - CHARLOTTE, North Carolina — Campus Pride released The Worst List documenting the "Absolute Worst, Most Unsafe Campuses for LGBTQ+ Youth." The Worst List is an annual listing of colleges and universities that have chosen to openly ...
|Miami-Dade school board rejects LGBTQ History Month over 'Don't Say Gay' fears 2022-09-08|
- On Sept. 7, the Miami-Dade School Board struck down a proposal that would have recognized October as "LGBTQ History Month" out of concern that it would violate the state's Parental Rights in Education law, known by ...
|NATIONAL Convicted killer, school groups, Gloria Casarez, 'Gay Days' 2022-09-04|
- A Philadelphia jury convicted Abdullah El-Amin of third-degree murder for taking the life of trans woman Mia Green, per The Philadelphia Gay News. He faces a lengthy prison term when sentenced in November. Green, 27, was ...
|Indiana Supreme Court upholds firing of gay Catholic-school teacher 2022-09-01|
- The Indiana Supreme Court ruled on Aug. 31 that the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indiana was within its rights to direct the termination of a Catholic-school teacher who was married to a person of the same ...
|Local LGBTQ+ icon Dr. C.C. Carter returns to Chicago in a new position 2022-09-01|
- Dr. Carla "C.C." Carter is back. After being away for a few years and embarking on a few adventures (like graduating from seminary school), Carteran acclaimed writer, poet, and performeris back in Chicago as managing director ...
|Pride Journey: Orlando 2022-08-31|
- Orlando has always been a place close to my heart. Back in 2002, I attended graduate school there as well as worked in the music industry for a company that launched the careers of Backstreet Boys, ...
|LGBTQ+ youths, adult allies gather at Action Camp 2022 2022-08-29|
- LGBTQ+ young people and adult allies gathered under the sun and stars Aug. 1-5 for the 10th Annual Action Camp, co-hosted by the Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago's (PHIMC's) Illinois Safe Schools Alliance (the Alliance ...
|Campus Pride unveils 'Best of the Best' colleges, universities for LGBTQ+ students 2022-08-24|
- Campus Pride—a resource for LGBTQ+ leadership development, diversity inclusion and advocacy within higher education—announced the annual Best of the Best Colleges and Universities for LGBTQ+ students in the United States, recognizing ...