|PASSAGES: Shirley Chisholm
This article shared 7745 times since Tue Feb 1, 2005
Shirley Chisholm, 80, the first Black woman to serve in Congress and the first woman to seek the Democratic presidential nomination, died Jan. 1 at her home in Ormond Beach, Fla, according to The New York Times. She had reportedly suffered several strokes recently.
Chisholm was an outspoken educator-turned-politician who shattered racial and gender barriers as she became a national symbol of liberal politics in the 1960s and 1970s.
She won her seat in Congress in 1968 with
a victory in Brooklyn's 12th District, which had been created by court-ordered reapportionment. Her slogan was 'unbought and unbossed.' Chisholm challenged the seniority system and in 1972 she ran for president, losing to George McGovern in the primaries.
Chisholm served seven terms in the House; she was a voice for women and minorities.
This article shared 7745 times since Tue Feb 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|PASSAGES Trailblazing judge and attorney Patricia M. Logue passes away 2024-02-26
- The Honorable Patricia Logue ("Pat" to her friends, Trish" to her family) was a brilliant lawyer, a trailblazing jurist and a hero to the LGBTQ community. Pat's legacy includes numerous landmark cases she litigated over her ...
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted 2024-02-21
- Officials acknowledged there are unresolved questions about a 16-year-old non-binary Oklahoma student who died one day after a fight in a high school bathroom, NBC News noted. Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, ...
|GLAAD remembers Cecilia Gentili, transgender Latina, actress, activist, health care activist, journalist 2024-02-06
--From a press release - (New York, NY - February 6, 2024) GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to the death of transgender actress and advocate Cecilia Gentili and elevating voices of transgender and political leaders honoring ...
|More information emerges about death on Atlantis gay cruise 2024-02-04
By Lu Calzada - Further details have emerged following the death of a Chicago man on a Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas Atlantis cruise targeted towards gay men. Following a Reddit post by the man's sister which has ...
|PASSAGES Imperial Court's Scott Archer remembered as selfless, devoted 2024-02-04
By Alec Karam - As the old saying goes, we all have an angel on one shoulder, and a devil on the other. Well, Scott Archer was all angel, his best friend Herman Coen believes. "Everybody wanted to talk to Scott, because Scott was Scott," ...
|Broadway star Chita Rivera dies at 91 2024-01-30
- Chita Riveraa Broadway legend with more than seven decades of creditshas died at age 91 after a short illness, People Magazine reported. "It is with immense personal sorrow that I announce the death of the beloved ...
|PASSSAGES Chef Michael Thomas Zito 2024-01-02
- Chef Michael Thomas Zito, 55, ("Chef Bear Italia" and "Big Chef") passed away December 12, 2023, unexpectedly at home in Chicago's Belmont Gardens neighborhood. Born in Kentucky to Pentecostal missionaries from New York, Mike began cooking ...
|Gay political trailblazer Ken Sherrill passes away at age 81 2023-12-30
- Kenneth Sherrilla pioneering political scientist who was also the first out gay elected official in New York historydied in early December at age 81 from surgical complications, Gay City News reported. He is survived by his ...
|PASSAGES Paris Johnson 2023-12-29
- Paris Johnson, 29, of Chicago's West Loop neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly Nov. 28. He would have celebrated his 30th birthday Dec. 20. Born into a military family in Sacramento, California, Paris moved often in his youth, ...
|PASSAGES Frankie Franklin-Foxx 2023-12-18
- Frankie Franklin-Foxx (born Waverlynn Franklin), a resident of Chicago's North Side, passed away peacefully Dec. 13 at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. She was 68. Born at Cook County Hospital, Frankie graduated from South Shore High ...
|PASSAGES Former Republican Illinois legislator Susan Catania remembered for supporting gay rights 2023-12-14
- Advocates remember former Illinois legislator Susan Catania as an active ally in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights. Susan died Nov. 27 after a fire broke out in her home in Wisconsin, according to a tribute written ...
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|PASSAGES Todd Vitale 2023-11-28
- Todd Louis Vitale, 60, a professional vocalist and Realtor who lived in Chicago's Sheridan Park neighborhood, passed away peacefully Nov. 15, after a long battle with ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease. Born in East St. Louis, Illinois, Todd ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO