WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES Ruffin Nelson Robinson
This article shared 1798 times since Mon Jun 10, 2019
Ruffin Nelson Robinson, 74; retired registered nurse; of Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood, born in Eufaula, Alabama; died peacefully June 6, 2019.
Beloved spouse of fourteen years (together for 24) to Robert Gerald Schwartz. Loving uncle of six. Preceded in death by parents Vinie Mae "Missie" Swain and Richard Snipes.
Ruffin was a U.S. Army veteran, serving in Vietnam and Europe. He loved playing "Bid Whist" with his cards group, and also enjoyed attending operatic performances.
Ruffin achieved over 25 years of sobriety, and attributed his coming out as a gay man and his relationship to Bob to his recovery along with other accomplishments.
Celebration of Life to be scheduled for a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to New Town Alano Club, www.newtownalanoclub.org/ .
Arrangements by Cremation Society of Illinois, 773-281-5058 or www.cremation-society.com .
This article shared 1798 times since Mon Jun 10, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30|
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|PASSAGES Todd Vitale 2023-11-28|
- Todd Louis Vitale, 60, a professional vocalist and Realtor who lived in Chicago's Sheridan Park neighborhood, passed away peacefully Nov. 15, after a long battle with ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease. Born in East St. Louis, Illinois, Todd ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20|
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|PASSAGES Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson 2023-11-17|
- Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson, "Ash," pharmacist, BCACP, AAHIVP, passed away suddenly Nov. 11. She was 35 and a resident of the Andersonville neighborhood. Born in Burnsville, Minnesota, Ashley graduated from Burnsville High School and completed a six-year ...
|PASSAGES Best-selling author, labor lawyer, feminist, LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman 2023-11-17|
- Best-selling author, renowned pro-union labor lawyer, Brandeis University professor, feminist and LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman died Oct. 31 in Burlington, Vermont of cancer. She was 79. Hirshman was born April 26, 1944, in Cleveland where she ...
|PASSAGES James Taylor Bannen 2023-11-17|
- James Taylor Bannen, 61, of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away Nov. 11 after an unexpected cardiac event. James was born in Rockford and grew up in Terre Haute, Indiana, the son of Howard James Bannen, ...
|Equality Illinois mourns the death of Magistrate Dr. Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Statement by Mony Ruiz-Velasco, Deputy Director at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the death of Dr Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo: "I am deeply saddened to learn of the death of ...
|PASSAGES Local bowling legend, Wordle enthusiast Mary Ann Graziano 2023-11-10|
- Mary Ann Graziano was a fervent Wordle player, avid bowler and an ace golfer. But above all else, she was a friend to many. The Palatine native died Oct. 9 at the age of 82, after a long illness that left ...
|PASSAGES: Chicagoan Lisa Love 2023-11-07|
- Chicagoan Lisa Love was shot and killed in the early morning hours of Oct. 17. She was 35, and at the time was the 33rd transgender, nonbinary or gender non-conforming American to be killed in 2023, ...
|PASSAGES: Activist, former Organized Chaos Chicago president Kathy Guzman 2023-11-07|
- Community activist, former Organized Chaos Chicago (OCC) president and founding member and now-retired queer women-focused L Stop website editor-at-large and writer Kathy Guzman died October 26 of heart complications. She ...
|PASSAGES Avid ceramicist Don Heggemann remembered for 'dedicated,' lively presence 2023-11-03|
- Ceramics instructor Dubhe Carreño first met Don Heggemann when he took her Saturday general ceramics class at Northeastern Illinois University in 2010. He took every one of her classes after that. Heggemann eventually joined the staff ...
|Boisterous activist/business owner Marge Summit remembered 2023-10-17|
- A group of Chicago-area friends gathered Oct. 15 at the Baton Show Lounge to celebrate the extraordinary life of LGBTQ+ activist and community organizer and former bar owner Marge Summit. Summit, the former owner of the ...
|PASSAGES: Lighting specialist, Chicago Gay Men's Chorus alum Xavier Yager 2023-10-09|
- Lighting specialist, former Proctor and Gamble pharmaceutical sales representative and Chicago Gay Men's Chorus alum Xavier Yager died Oct. 1 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in his home due to heart failure. He was 66. Yager was ...
|PASSAGES: Peter Vamvakas 2023-10-06|
- Peter Vamvakas of Forest Parka loving partner, son, brother, uncle, and frienddied Aug. 23. due to complications from an accident while vacationing in Key West, Florida. He was 60. He was born in Chicago on April ...