||PASSAGES: Raymond Munoz, Jr.
This article shared 5320 times since Tue Feb 1, 2005
Raymond Munoz, Jr., 51, known to his family and friends as Randy, died Jan. 9. Partner and companion for 21 years to William Fahrenbach; father to Jason and Christopher Munoz; son of Raymond ( Barbara ) Munoz and the late Shirley Jane Munoz; brother to Rai Ann ( Greg ) Dubrick, Philip ( Dawn ) Munoz and the late Adam Munoz.
Randy graduated from Kelley High School and worked in the 1970s and late 1980s in accounts receivables at Bradley Supply, a plumbing and pipe supply company, and at Robert White, a payroll service firm. But his real career and personal interests centered on fashion and the arts. He trained as a hair stylist at Midstate Beauty School and worked at his own salons in Chicago and at Whistles on Michigan Avenue. He was also a self-taught weaver, with a certificate in Fiber Art from the Taos Art School in New Mexico. From 1996 to 2001 he taught weaving at the Textile Arts Center, where he exhibited wall-hangings, rugs, scarves and other forms of fiber art. His own work is characterized by its use of warm reds and browns or sharper blues and greens in geometric designs, borrowing from Middle Eastern and Native American traditions. At various times, Randy also took up basket-weaving, pottery, silk-screening and needle-point and, even though his own hearing was fine, he studied American Sign Language at the Career Colleges in Chicago and was a proficient signer. But what made Randy special was his patient willingness to 'be there' for others—to listen as a good hair stylist, to work out billing problems with customers, to lend an ear and supportive shoulder to friends and family, complaining about their long days or bragging about their successes.
Randy dealt with AIDS for a number of years, and in the end, he died as he wanted, at home with those who loved him and will never forget him. At Randy's request, no services will be held. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to Greater Chicagoland Food Depository, P.O. Box 5092, Chicago, 60680-5092. Arrangements by Cremation Society of Illinois, ( 773 ) 281-5058.
This article shared 5320 times since Tue Feb 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Local trans leader Maritxa Vidal 2022-07-06|
- Maritxa Vidal, a leader in the Chicago trans community, has died at age 64. She passed away June 9. As a child, Vidal immigrated from Cuba with her family hoping to find a better life. Vidal is a longtime advocate for ...
|Dan Wolf, owner of The Bagel, dies at 77 2022-07-04|
- Dan Wolf, the longtime owner of the iconic The Bagel Restaurant & Deli, has died at age 77. According to an obituary at legacy.com, Wolf was of the few child survivors of the infamous Theresienstadt concentration ...
|Clela Rorex, first County Clerk to issue same-sex marriage licences, has died 2022-06-20|
-- From a press release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County and the family of Clela Rorex are saddened to announce the death of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pioneering ally, Clela Rorex. On March 27,1975 Clela issued the first ...
|PASSAGES Onetime Gay Chicago publisher Craig Gernhardt 2022-06-15|
- Craig Gernhardtwho once was the publisher of the now-defunct Gay Chicagohas died at age 61, according to Tribute Archive. His father, Gay Chicago Magazine co-founder and Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame inductee Ralph Paul Gernhardt, passed ...
|PASSAGES Legendary Chicago transgender activist, icon, mentor Mama Gloria Allen 2022-06-14|
- Legendary Chicago Black transgender activist, icon and mentor "Mama" Gloria Allen died June 13 in her residence at Chicago's LGBTQ senior living facility Townhall Apartments in Lake View. The cause of death is unknown at this ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|PASSAGES Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan dies at 76 2022-06-13|
- Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan has passed away "peacefully at home" after several lengthy illnesses at age 76, The Chicago Tribune reported. Ryan was the state's attorney general from 1995 to 2003, and was the ...
|Local trans icon June LaTrobe dies 2022-06-11|
- June M. LaTrobe—a Chicago trans icon known for her activism—has passed away. She turned 81 on June 1. Being an advocate for the trans community, LaTrobe participated in many events (such as protests) and often took ...
|Red Stars tie again; Cubs win, White Sox lose; NU softball; ex-Bear dies 2022-06-02|
- The Chicago Red Stars battled the Washington Spirit to a 1-1 tie on June 1 at SeatGeek Stadium. The Red Stars' previous game, against the Portland Thorns, also resulted in a tie (2-2). An early header ...
|Late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron honored with street sign 2022-05-31|
- On May 30, during Memorial Day/International Mr. Leather (IML) weekend, the leather shop 64TEN honored late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron with a tribute and honorary street-naming ceremony. The events were held at the corner of Clark Street ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist, Steamworks co-founder Rick Stokes dies at 87 2022-05-07|
- Rick Earl Stokes, famously "the other gay candidate" who ran against Harvey Milk for San Francisco supervisor in 1977, died May 3 at age 87, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Stokes died in San Francisco ...
|PASSAGES Playwright/disability-rights activist Susan Nussbaum dies 2022-04-30|
- Susan Nussbauma Chicago playwright, novelist and longtime disability-rights activistdied April 28 at age 68. Nussbaum won the 2012 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Social Engaging Fiction for her novel Good Kings Bad ...