||PASSAGES: Ed Bradley
This article shared 8411 times since Fri Dec 8, 2006
Veteran 60 Minutes correspondent Ed Bradley, known for his coolness and a uniquely empathetic style, passed away Nov. 9 of complications from chronic lymphocytic leukemia, according to The New York Times. He was 65.
Bradley had been with 60 Minutes for 25 years. During his career, Bradley won 19 Emmys, the most recent for a piece on the murder of Emmett Till. He was also honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Association of Black Journalists.
Even some close colleagues, including Mike Wallace, did not know that Mr. Bradley had leukemia or that his health had precipitously deteriorated over the last few weeks.
Bradley, who was also known for the scope of his reports, interviewed figures as diverse as Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh and singer Lena Horne, according to The Boston Globe. Among his other galvanizing pieces were reports on the Duke lacrosse scandal and the murder of a gay soldier. The latter item helped to demonstrate that anti-gay sentiment was not only tolerated but promulgated by military superiors, according to RTNDA.org .
Bradley, who had no children, is survived by his wife, Patricia Blanchet, whom he married two years ago at his home in Aspen, Colo.
This article shared 8411 times since Fri Dec 8, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist, Steamworks co-founder Rick Stokes dies at 87 2022-05-07|
- Rick Earl Stokes, famously "the other gay candidate" who ran against Harvey Milk for San Francisco supervisor in 1977, died May 3 at age 87, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Stokes died in San Francisco ...
|PASSAGES Playwright/disability-rights activist Susan Nussbaum dies 2022-04-30|
- Susan Nussbauma Chicago playwright, novelist and longtime disability-rights activistdied April 28 at age 68. Nussbaum won the 2012 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Social Engaging Fiction for her novel Good Kings Bad ...
|Chicago theater actress Hollis Resnik dies at 66 2022-04-18|
- Chicago theater actress Hollis Resnick, who had a glittering resume, has passed away at age 66. The Chicago Tribune's Chris Jones tweeted, "Sad to report that Father Jim Heneghan tells me that the great Chicago actress ...
|Loved ones mourn loss of Elise Malary 2022-04-15|
- Angelina Nordstrom remembers their close friend Elise Malary through candid photos and videos they loved to surprise her with. "My favorite thing was to catch her off-guard with the camera, to capture random moments of her ...
|Shattered Globe Theatre and Chicago Dramatists to host 'Remembering Joel Drake Johnson' on April 30 2022-04-08|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (April 8, 2022) — Shattered Globe Theatre and Chicago Dramatists will celebrate the life and legacy of longtime Chicago playwright Joel Drake Johnson—a member of the LGBTQ+ community—at a ...
|Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright dies 2022-03-24|
- Madeleine Albright, the first female U.S. secretary of state, has died of cancer at age 84, according to media reports. President Bill Clinton chose Albright as the country's top diplomat in 1996, and she served in ...
|Chicago Black trans woman Tatiana Labelle found dead 2022-03-20|
- Chicago Black trans woman Tatiana "Tee Tee" Labelle, 33, was found dead in a trash can at about 12:45 p.m. on Friday, March 18, in the Chatham neighborhood alley located in the 8400 block of South ...
|PASSAGES Behavioral-wellness manager Tony Hollenback 2022-03-19|
- Tony Hollenback—a former Chicagoan who resided in Santa Barbara, California—has passed away. He was 52. Journal & Topics noted that Tim Hollenback said of Tony, "During a dental procedure, my brother Tony ...
|PASSAGES Mogul Marilyn Miglin, wife of Andrew Cunanan murder victim, dies at 83 2022-03-16|
- Marilyn Miglin the Chicago beauty mogul who rose to fame as a saleswoman on the Home Shopping Network and was thrust into the national limelight again in 1997 when her husband, business tycoon/philanthropist Lee Miglin, ...
|Actor William Hurt dies at 71 2022-03-13|
- William Hurt who garnered three consecutive Oscar nominations for Best Actor in his movies for Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985), Children of a Lesser God (1986) and Broadcast News (1987), winning for his gay role in ...
|PASSAGES OPALGA member Jan Grillos dies 2022-03-05|
- Jan O. Grillos, a longtime member of the Oak Park LGBTQ+ organization OPALGA+ who was formerly from Denver, passed away March 2. Grillos was a systems programmer for United and Frontier Airlines, Sales Executive for several ...
|PASSAGES Civic leader, LGBTQ+ ally Josephine Minow dies at 95 2022-03-01|
- Josephine Baskin Minowa civic leader with an interest in social justice and Chicago and Jewish historyhas died at age 95, The Chicago Tribune reported. Minow was the past president of the Juvenile Protective Agency and a ...