WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES Bisexual activist Farajaje dies
This article shared 6428 times since Wed Feb 17, 2016
Black bisexual activist Dr. Ibrahim Abdurrahmani Farajajethe provost and professor of cultural studies at the Starr King School for the Ministry in Berkeley, Californiadied Feb. 9 at age 63.
BiNet USA co-founder Lani Ka'ahumanu said in a statement, "One of our dearest most brilliant, fierce, outspoken, loving, gentle, and fun/ny queer bisexual beingsThe Reverend Dr. Ibrahim Farajajehas passed.
"A towering talent, an intellectual genius and a kind hearted teacher beloved by many, Dr. Farajaje's writing on the decolonization of queer theory 'took off where Audre Lorde left off.' Like Lorde and her dear friend the Black bisexual poet June Jordan, Dr. Farajaje transitioned too soon from this life to the next."
In 1995, Farajaje and his family were featured in a groundbreaking cover story on bisexuality for Newsweek. Last year, he helped facilitate a conference that had LGBTQ clergy from across the nation gathering in Portland, Oregon, to collectively create of a plan to engage hundreds of thousands of LGBTQ people from diverse spiritual traditions in the "Black Lives Matter" movement.
This article shared 6428 times since Wed Feb 17, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Writer, attorney, activist Takeia R. Johnson 2021-07-25|
- The local organization Affinity Community Services announced the recent passing of Takeia R. Johnson. According to Johnson's LinkedIn profile, she was editor-in-chief and lead writer at Inclusion at Work as well as a Ph.D. student focusing ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|PASSAGES Author, cultural theorist, scholar Lauren Berlant dies 2021-07-15|
- Author, cultural theorist and scholar Lauren Berlant died June 28 in a Chicago hospice facility of a rare form of cancer. They were 63. Berlant (who used they/them pronouns professionally) was born Oct. 31, 1957 in ...
|Prominent lesbian educator/activist/author Sally Gearhart dies at 90 2021-07-15|
- Sally Gearhartthe first out lesbian to receive a tenure-track position at San Francisco State University and a prominent LGBTQ-rights advocatedied July 14, according to The Bay Area Reporter, which cited an email Jean Crosby sent to ...
|PASSAGES Ray Marchman
- Ray Marchman, a onetime Chicago resident, passed away in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on June 6. He was 87. According to an obituary on Dignity Memorial's website, Marchman was born in Miami in 1933the only child of ...
|PASSAGES Fritzie Fritzshall, Auschwitz survivor, innovator in Holocaust education 2021-06-20|
--From a press release - As a Survivor of the Holocaust and the President of Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center, Fritzie Fritzshall devoted her life to combatting hatred and prejudice, inspiring people to become Upstanders instead of bystanders, and speaking ...
|Fifth annual Pulse Nightclub memorial in downstate Illinois on June 12 2021-06-09|
- On Saturday, June 12, at 7 p.m. in Bloomington, Illinois, local organizations will remember the 49 lives lost at the Pulse Nightclub in 2016 with their fifth annual outdoor memorial service, according to a joint press ...
|NATIONAL Press secretary, LGBTQ passings, poll results, Pride items 2021-05-30|
- Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre made history as the first gay woman to lead a White House press briefing in the James S. Brady Briefing Room, and the second Black woman to do so, LGBTQ Nation ...
|Remembering Kay "Tobin" Lahusen 2021-05-29|
- Much of LGBTQ history, and history in general, has been lost. Even after photography was invented, the lens (and pen) was often directed subjectively, documenting what the mainstream media thought were the significant moments of the ...
|White Party organizer Jeffrey Sanker dies 2021-05-29|
- Gay circuit-party impresario Jeffrey Sanker—owner of the Los Angeles-based White Party Entertainment company—died May 28 after a long battle with liver cancer, the Los Angeles Blade reported. The Blade said ...
|PASSAGES Kay "Tobin" Lahusen, a founding mother of the gay rights movement, 91 2021-05-26|
- Kay Lahusen, 91, died in gentle hospice care at Chester County Hospital on Wednesday, May 26, 2021, after a brief illness. She was born in Cincinnati in January 1930 and as an infant was adopted and ...
|NATIONAL Victory Institute, activists pass on, Mikayla Miller, Nina West 2021-05-23|
- On May 2, The Victory Institute inducted 21 leaders to its newly formed LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame, according to PrideSource.com. Twenty members were inducted as part of the founding class while U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin ...
|PASSAGES Social-justice activist, dominatrix Mistress Velvet dies 2021-05-21|
- PASSAGES Social-justice activist, dominatrix Mistress Velvet dies By Carrie Maxwell Social-justice activist and dominatrix Mistress Velvet (who used they/them pronouns) died by suicide May 9 in Chicago. They were 33. ...
|PASSAGES Lesbian-feminist musician, activist Alix Dobkin dies 2021-05-19|
- Lesbian singer-songwriter and feminist activist Alix Dobkin died May 19 due to complications from a brain aneurysm and stroke. She was 80. Dobkin—who was known by many as the Head Lesbian—was born Aug. 16, 1940 in ...
|Former Illinois Lt. Gov. Corinne Wood dies at 66 2021-05-19|
- Corinne Wood, the former Illinois lieutenant governor under Gov. George Ryan, died after a 15-year battle with breast cancer, CBS Chicago reported. She was 66. Wood served as the state's first female lieutenant governor from 1999 ...