||PASSAGES Albert Gaskin
This article shared 4171 times since Sun Aug 1, 2010
Chicagoan Albert Gaskin passed away peacefully July 1 after a four-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 76.
Gaskin served two years in the U.S. Army and enjoyed a 45-plus year career as owner of Albert Gaskin Realtors in Evanston. He also was the first African-American member of the North Shore Board of Realtors.
His parents, Terrence and Jessie Bell Gaskin, and his brother, Geroid Gaskin, preceded him in death.
Gaskin is survived by his partner of 41 years, Robert Bachand; brothers, Robert Gaskin and Edward N. Davis, Jr.; sisters, Maggie R. Maddox, Mae ( Lynwood Whitley, Jr. ) Whitley and Henrietta Whiteman; niece, Kimberly A. Whitley and nephew, Edward Murphy.
The memorial service was held July 17 at Chicago History Museum, 1600 N. Clark.
In lieu of flowers, donations to Evanston Chapter of the NAACP General Scholarship Fund or Midwest Palliative and Hospice Care Center.
Arrangements are by Cremation Society of Illinois; 773-281-5058 or www.cremation-society.com .
This article shared 4171 times since Sun Aug 1, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|'Party Monster' killer Michael Alig dies at 54
- Michael Alig who was at the center of the LGBTQ "club kids" scene in late 1980s and early '90s Manhattan, and whose involvement in the murder and dismemberment of his drug dealer was chronicled in the 2003 film Party Monster died Dec. 25th ...
|PASSAGES Chicago gay pioneer Richard Cooke dies 2020-12-17|
- Richard Cooke, a longtime Chicago resident and familiar East Lakeview presence along with his dachshund Governor, died in the early morning hours of Dec. 12, after suffering a heart attack earlier in the week. He was ...
|PASSAGES Ravinia producer Stephen R. Smoot, 57 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - Stephen R. Smoot, who produced hundreds of concerts for Ravinia Festival since 2005, died suddenly on Friday, Nov. 27. He was 57. Known for his quick wit and generous impulse to shine the spotlight on others, ...
|PASSAGES LGBT activist, former Oak Park, Illinois mayor Joanne Trapani dies 2020-12-02|
- LGBT activist and former Oak Park, Illinois Mayor Joanne Trapani died Nov. 29 due to complications from her endometrial cancer diagnosis. She was 71. Trapani was born in Corona, Queens, New York City on Aug. 5, ...
|PASSAGES Joanne E. Trapani 2020-11-29|
- According to Facebook posts, Joanne E. Trapani, one-time village president of Oak Park, has passed away. Read about her life and work in the community at the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame: http://chicagolgbthalloffame.org/trapani-joanne/ . and at ...
|Award-winning journalist Deb Price dead at 62 2020-11-27|
- Deb Price, the award-winning journalist and author who wrote the first nationally syndicated column on LGBT issues in mainstream newspapers, has died in a hospital at age 62 in Hong Kong, where she had lived for ...
|PASSAGES Adrian Ford 2020-11-24|
- Adrian Robert Ford, of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, died unexpectedly Nov. 17. He was 74 Born in Rochester, New York, on May 11, 1946 to Clarence and Ruth Ford, Adrian grew up in Webster, New York, ...
|PASSAGES Marsha M. Wetzel 2020-11-17|
- Marsha Marie Wetzel, advocate for the LGBTQ community, died peacefully at her Greenview Place home in Chicago, Illinois, on Nov. 1, 2020. In keeping with her faith, she passed on All Saints Day. She was preceded ...
|PASSAGES Kevin Putz 2020-11-04|
- Evanston resident Kevin Andrew Putz has passed away, He was 56. Kevin was the beloved husband of Michael McNamara; son of Sharon Putz and the late Dr. Gerard J. Putz; loving brother of Michael (Connie) Putz ...
|PASSAGES Activist John Chester remembered
- Longtime LGBT activist and former Chicagoan John Chester passed away Oct. 10 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he had been living since retirement. He was 78. Chester, who was inducted into the Chicago Gay and Lesbian ...
|PASSAGES Transgender advocate, journalist Monica Roberts dies 2020-10-08|
--From a National LGBTQ Task Force press release - "This week, the LGBTQ+ community lost one of our fiercest voices in Monica Roberts, an activist who not only lifted up the stories of trans people and inspired generations of countless transgender and non-binary people but ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...