||Out local musician releasing album, launching music station
This article shared 1779 times since Wed Jun 24, 2020
Out local musician Scott Free Scott Free is releasing his new album, The Last Revolution, on Friday, July 3, and is launching Alt Q Radio, an independent queer music station.
The Last Revolution, described as a protest album, is Free's first solo album in 12 years. About the subject matter of the timely album, Free said in a statement, "I've always looked at the world from an outsider viewpoint, so this delving into the realm of protest and social justice music is natural for me. I've always done a form of protest in my music, although in the past it was focused from a personal perspective. This time I wanted to take myself out of it - let the song itself be the focus."
Free added that his decision to do an all-protest song album was also "a way to explore ways to merge the more modern genres of punk and rap with the original acoustic protest genre: folk."
He has also launched Alt Q Radio, an independent queer music station. It is a commercial-free 24-hour station on the Live365, the internet radio broadcasting network. There are programs featuring women's music, queercore, trans musicians and queer rap, among others. Free said, "The overall focus of the station is new music; we want to be on top of the latest releases by independent queer artists."
free has released four previous solo albums, and an LGBT family album by his cartoon group The Diesel Tykes, which featured many Chicago LGBT musicians. He has two original cast albums of his musicals, Zombie Bathhouse ( book by Brian Kirst ) and Witches Among Us ( book by Rick Karlin ). Scott was a producer in the original house-music scene in Chicago, was part of the '90s Chicago queercore scene, and had a rap video on BET. Free was inducted into the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame in 2010.
He currently produces Homolatte, the longest-running queer performance series in the country ( although on hiatus during the pandemic ).
The Last Revolution will be available on Bandcamp, Spotify and iTunes.
This article shared 1779 times since Wed Jun 24, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|New narrative podcast offers lesbian rocker slice of life
- For audiophiles in search of punk rock tongue-in-cheek lesbian dramedy-driven narrative storytelling, look no further: "Tampon Rock" is here. The podcast, from Anthem and iHeart Radio, focuses on lesbian bandmates Deja and Chloe as they navigate ...
|SHOWBIZ: Awards, 'Bebop,' Andy Cohen, Mariah Carey, Revry 2020-11-23|
- The American Music Awards aired live Nov. 22 and some of the biggest names in music took home awards; Taraji P. Henson hosted. According to CNN.com, Doja Cat won new artist of the year and Becky ...
|MUSICALS 1997 version of Anyone Can Whistle out Dec. 4
- On Sunday, Dec. 4, Jay Records will release a 1997 recording of the musical Anyone Can Whistle, which originally had music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim as well as a book by Arthur Laurents. The production ...
|Jim Verraros: From 'Idol' to now 2020-11-14|
- It may seem just like yesterday when Jim Verraros was among the finalists who performed on the very first season of the reality-competition show with the likes of Justin Guarini and Kelly Clarkson (who won). However, ...
|Theater community to offer online plays, musicals, dance, comedy for holidays 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL (November 10, 2020)— The Chicago theater community will produce a wide variety of online festive plays, musicals, dance and comedy offerings this Holiday season. Theatre venues in Chicago and across the world remain closed ...
|57th Street Art Fair to return next June 2020-11-10|
- The 74th annual 57th Street Art Fair is slated to return June 5-6, 2021. The free event is the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, featuring nearly 200 artists, live music, kids' activities and a food court. ...
|The African American Arts Alliance announces 2020 Black Excellence Awards
--From a press release - Chicago, ILThe African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) will host the 20th annual Black Excellence Awards, an evening celebrating Black artists, Black voices, and Black stories across artistic disciplines, on November 10, 2020 at 7pm. The 2020 ...
|American Blues Theater to present 19th production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — American Blues Theater will produce its 199h Annual Production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago! from Frank Capra's film and directed by Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside with musical direction by Michael Mahler ...
|THEATER REVIEW Being Earnest 2020-10-29|
- Playwright book and lyrics by Paul Gordon, music by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska At Skylight Music Theatre online at SkylightMusicTheatre.org. Tickets: $25. Runs through Dec. 31, 2020. Two things to remember when proposing to transform a ...
|SHOWBIZ Viola Davis, Tyler Posey, Elton John, Tegan and Sara 2020-10-26|
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom will premiere on Netflix on Dec. 18, a press release noted. The moviebased on the August Wilson playwill star Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Glynn Turman and Colman Domingo. In the film and ...
|'V for Vendetta' at Music Box Oct. 30. includes talk with Wachowski
- The 15th-anniversary theatrical re-release of V for Vendetta, which now includes bonus content—a 13-minute, pre-recorded conversation with director James McTeigue and writer/producer Lana Wachowski—will run at the Music Box Theatre ...
|Jeannie Tanner releases inspirational song, art-inclusive video
- Local singer-songwriter Jeannie Tanner has released her new single and video, "I Wanna Be the Change." According to a press release, the song was inspired by many of the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ...
|'Jagged Little Pill,' 'Moulin Rouge!' lead Tony nods 2020-10-15|
- The nominations for the 2020 Tony Awards were revealed Oct. 15. The Alanis Morissette musical Jagged Little Pill led with 15 nominations, earning at least one nomination in every eligible category (including six for the show's ...
|Queen + Adam Lambert release first live album 2020-10-15|
- Queen + Adam Lambert have released their first-ever live album, Queen + Adam Lambert: Live Around the World. The release is in CD, CD+DVD, CD+Blu-ray and vinyl formats. The set presents a compilation of concert highlights ...
|Linda Ronstadt, Danny Glover, Beto O' Rourke in 'All Souls to the Polls'
- More than 50 artists, social justice and grassroots activists from across the country have created two nights of concerts to spur national voter turnout, with "All Souls to the Polls" on Oct. 17-18 at 7 p.m. ...