WINDY CITY TIMES
||Opportunities open for multimedia project for Int'l Transgender Day of Visibility
From a press release
This article shared 283 times since Mon Feb 27, 2017
On the annual observance of International Transgender Day of Visibility ( March 31 ), the transgender community will celebrate the lives and achievements of transgender men, women and youth around the world. The day is also used to bring attention to the issues that the transgender community still faces. This year, Chicago activist Meggan Sommerville has announced a massive multimedia project, See Me!, in collaboration with critically acclaimed singer songwriter and White House welcomee, Sidney Chase.
The crowd sourced project will culminate in a video series showing selfies sent by members of the US and international transgender community set to original, exclusive music by Chase. Sommerville says of the project, "This project is not just showing the world who we are but will also act as a call to arms to all of our allies to stand with the transgender community in the fight for visibility and equality. You will be encouraging countless others who may not have the freedom or found the strength to be their authentic selves."
"With approximately 1.4 million transgender men, women and youth in the United States", Sommerville says "there is a need for visibility beyond what we see on television. Positive visibility fosters acceptance and understanding and puts faces and lives to what many outside the transgender community sees in the main stream press, especially when over 40% of transgender people attempt suicide and 80% of transgender students feel unsafe in their school environment.
The video is set to debut on March 31, the International Transgender Day of Visibility.
To participate or learn more, go to bit.ly/2kAiipG and visit facebook.com/transdayofvisibility to download branded 8.5 x 11 posters to optionally include in selfies.
Participant photos may also be emailed directly to TDOV2017@gmail.com, an email Sommerville has created specifically for the project. Photos must be G-rated for all-ages viewing, and received by March 10 to project inclusion.
About Meggan Sommerville:
Meggan Sommerville is a writer and activist in Chicago. In the past five years, Sommerville has made local and national headlines as a result of her continued litigation against her employer for gender-based bathroom discrimination.
This article shared 283 times since Mon Feb 27, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Colorado becomes first state to require trans care as essential health benefit 2021-10-17|
- Colorado has become the first state in the country to include transition-related care for transgender people as part of the requirements for essential healthcare in the state, The Washington Blade reported. As part of the change, ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Attorneys general file pro-transgender brief 2021-10-15|
- A coalition of 20 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of Soule v. Connecticut Association of Schools, opposing the plaintiffs' efforts ...
|Chicago Plumbing Code allows all-gender multiple occupancy restrooms 2021-10-15|
--From a Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) press release - CHICAGO — The Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) applauds passage Thursday by the Chicago City Council of the plumbing code modernization ordinance that will allow businesses and building owners to ...
|Dozens of celebrities, companies set to take part in Spirit Day on Oct. 21 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - New York, NY, Thursday, October 14, 2021 - Today, GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced a preliminary list of celebrities, shows ...
|Brave Space Alliance's 'Out 'N Brave' panel on beauty, coming out 2021-10-14|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - Coming out is one of the most terrifying yet liberating experiences that an LGBTQ+ person must endure to achieve happiness. Brave Space Alliance (BSA)—Chicago's South Side, Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ resource ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Trans employees plan Oct. 20 walkout at Netflix [UPDATE] 2021-10-13|
- Netflix's trans employee resource group is planning a company-wide walkout Wed., Oct. 20, to protest statements made by co-CEO Ted Sarandos regarding Dave Chappelle's latest comedy special The Closer, according to The Verge. "Trans Lives Matter. ...
|Netflix suspends trans employee who tweeted about Chapelle special 2021-10-12|
- Netflix suspended a transgender employee who criticized the new Dave Chappelle stand-up special The Closer, writing on Twitter that Chappelle's jokes were harmful to transgender people and the LGBTQ community, NBC News noted. The company denied ...
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11|
By Max Lubbers - Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...
|Texans protest anti-trans youth measures at capitol in Austin 2021-10-03|
- GLAAD and Equality Texas issued a release highlighting a week of protest at the Texas state capitol in Austinwhere measures targeting transgender children are being considered during the legislature's third special session of the year. Three ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|SHOWBIZ Transgender Talent, celebrity deaths, film festival, Whitney Houston 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Talent—the trans-owned and operated management and production company—is looking to help Hollywood get better at portraying transgender and non-binary characters on screen with the launch of a new consulting ...
|THEATER Ex-'Jagged Little Pill' performers accuse production of anti-TGNC behavior 2021-09-24|
- Two former cast members of Broadway's Jagged Little Pillincluding Tony-nominated featured actress Celia Rose Goodingreleased statements accusing the production of committing "harm to the trans and non-binary community, both onstage ...
|Trans woman D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith, a victim of violence, dies 2021-09-24|
- D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith was shot and killed Sept. 6 at the Prestige Motel in Dolton, Illinois. She was 27. A Human Rights Campaign report showed that, in 2020, a record 44 transgender, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming ...