||Off the Cuffs
by TRACY BAIM
This article shared 1644 times since Wed Jan 29, 2003
Theodore Mosterd, working to benefit The Children's Place, brought in more money than anyone else during the recent fundraiser at Charlie's. This made him Charlie's 'Man of the Year' and benefited a lot of children. They would like to thank their sponsors: Alcala's, Cornelia's, Eagle Leather, Lakeshore Marathon, Ross Johnston, Salon Salon, Surrender, Toys & Treasures Basket, T's, US-99, Marty Donovan, About Face Theatre, Angelina's, Ann Sathers, Barngear.com, Barry Morgan, Black Ensemble Theatre, Borders, Buca di Beppo, Buddies', Ragin' RaeJeans, David Magdziarz, Dolly Parton/Dollywood, Emerald City Theatre, Flashes, Gay Mart, Gentry, Halsted Street Beach, Ina's, Jackhammer, Jewel-Osco, Kit Kat Club, Lifeline Theatre, Madrigal's, Male Hide, Nookie's, Pegasus Players, Porchlight Theatre, River North Distributors, Robert Ferguson, Toyscape, Victory Gardens, Vitas, We're Everywhere, and The Berghoff.
Bailiwick's Dyke Mic continues Fridays, 1229 W. Belmont, (773) 883-1090. Elon Cameron, Sapna Kumar & Ripley Caine are Jan. 31.
Grinder Queer words and music Thursday, Jan. 30 features Robert McDonald & Anne-Marie Akin, 8 p.m., The No Exit Cafe, 6970 N. Glenwood, (773) 743-3355. Feb. 6: Sven Soderburg & Dylan Rice.
Fireball 2003 is fast approaching, with advance events and an entire weekend of parties. Call (773) 244-6000, or visit their Web site at www.thefireball.com . U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky is honored at a gala reception. Jan. 31, 6-9 p.m., Museum of Contemporary Art, 220 E. Ohio, (773) 244-6000.
Event Network, a monthly gay and lesbian social group for professionals, tastes deserts with cash bar Sat., Feb. 1, $15 ($20 at door), 6-9 p.m., at Sugar, 108 W. Kinzie, (773) 279-1755.
Lambda Legal's Freedom to Marry action in Lakeview with same-sex couples dressed in wedding attire is Jan. 31, leading up to their valentine's week marriage event, Feb. 12 at High Risk, 1113 W. Belmont, 7-9 p.m. Call (312) 663-4413, www.lambdalegal.org .
Women's music legend Linda Tillery is at Old Town School of Folk Music Sunday, Feb. 2, 7 p.m., $20 ($18 members $16 seniors/children), 4544 N. Lincoln, (773) 728-6000.
CPNA sponsors a 44th Ward LGBT Forum Wed., Feb. 5. Come hear Tom Tunney, Rick Ingram and Dean Maragos debate LGBT issues. Arrive early space is limited. From 7-9 p.m., Bailiwick Theatre, 1229 W. Belmont.
This article shared 1644 times since Wed Jan 29, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|FILM NewFest announces summer film series NewFest Pride 2021-05-13|
- NewFest, New York's leading LGBTQ+ film and media organization, announced programming for NewFest Pride, a new summer film series taking place this year from June 4-7. All film screenings and events will be available virtually to ...
|International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia to take place May 17 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - LGBTQI+ networks, individuals and allies from around the world will be celebrating the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia again this year on Monday, May 17. The theme for this year's events, known also as ...
|'An Evening with Fran Lebowitz' in April 2022 in NYC 2021-05-12|
- Legendary author, journalist and social observer Fran Lebowitz is slated to return to The Town Hall stage in New York City for two live, in conversation events on April 6-7, 2022. Lebowitz is coming off her ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Art on theMART to project Obamas, Frida Kahlo 2021-05-06|
- In partnership with Chicago's Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, Art on theMART today announced two major new additions to its summer program: The Obama Portraits (debuting June 17) and Frida Kahlo (starting July 5). ...
|'Drag Race' finalists GottMik, Rose to perform
in Chicago on May 28-30 2021-04-28|
- Voss Events announced that RuPaul's Drag Race finalists GottMik and Rose are joining the cast of the springtime edition of outdoor-concert series Drive 'N Drag Saves 2021. The tour stops by Chicago's Soldier Field on May ...
|Chicago Cultural Center historic interiors to be restored for June reopening 2021-04-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced the historic restoration of the landmark Chicago Cultural Center to reclaim two lost interiors decorated by the ...
|NCAA issues statement hitting back at anti-trans discrimination
- The NCAA, which regulates college athletics in the United States, supported transgender athletes April 12, saying it won't hold championship events in locations that aren't "free of discrimination," NBC News reported. As Republicans in more than ...
|Tribute event to honor Chicago's first Cultural Historian Jan. 28 2021-01-14|
--From a City of Chicago press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced a tribute event to honor Chicago's first Cultural Historian, Tim Samuelson. Samuelson recently retired after 3 ...
|Two-Spirit/LGBTQAI Native American Powwow plans a week of virtual events 2021-01-13|
--From a press release - Bay Area American Indian Two-Spirits (BAAITS) exists to restore and recover the role of Two-Spirit people within the American Indian/First Nations community by creating a forum for the spiritual, cultural ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce $2.5M in arts grants 2021-01-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced $2.5 million in funding opportunities for Chicago artists and arts organizations. A new "Artist Response Program," ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Black Lives, Black Words holding virtual events in October, November
- Black Lives, Black Wordsan international initiative that provides local Black creatives with an artistic platformis bringing its "Plays for the People" virtual series to a close with two more plays in October and November. On Oct. ...
|Alicia Keys joins After School Matters event
- Grammy winner Alicia Keys joined teenagers and their families across Chicago Sept. 24 for a live virtual conversation about current racial and social justice events, as well as her life and music career, including her recently ...
|Champaign County holding virtual Pride event Sept. 25-27 2020-09-21|
- Champaign County-Uniting Pride of Champaign County announced the theme for the 2020 Champaign County Pride Celebration, taking place virtually Sept. 25-27: "Staying ApartRising United." Some of the events include the ...