WINDY CITY TIMES
||Obama campaign manager at Downtown DADT-repeal event
by Erica Demarest
This article shared 3809 times since Wed Sep 28, 2011
The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network ( SLDN ) celebrated the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ( DADT ) Sept. 20 at the Downtown Lounge Bar in downtown Chicago. Jim Messina, President Obama's 2012 campaign manager, was a guest speaker.
"As the vice president would say, this is a big F-ing deal," Messina said with a laugh. " [ The repeal ] showed all of us we can do great things again… We aren't the country that said 'Don't ask, don't tell.' We're a country that says, 'Out of many, we are one.' That's who we are."
SLDN hosted more than 100 simultaneous repeal parties across the country. Flagship events were in Washington D.C.; New York City; Philadelphia; West Hollywood, Calif.; Charleston, S.C.; and Chicago.
Smiles and laughter were abundant at the 2-hour gathering as veterans and allies mingled and enjoyed drinks. Scheduled programming lasted just 15 minutes: Discharged veterans Veronica Hernandez and Marquell Smith spoke briefly before introducing Messina.
As a token of appreciation, Smith presented Messina with a coin from his time in the U.S. Marine Corps. Military coins hold great significance for veterans.
Messina explained how difficult it was repeal DADT. The former deputy chief of staff said he keeps the pen Obama used to sign repeal legislation in his office.
"Our work has just started," Messina said. "There's many more things we've all got to get done, and… that means reelecting Barack Obama as President of the United States."
"To all of those who served our country so admirably, thank you from the bottom of our hearts," he continued. "You are American patriots. With that, I hope you'll join me in drinking."
This article shared 3809 times since Wed Sep 28, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|WORLD Soldiers, Everywhere Is Queer, soccer items 2022-04-24|
Video below - The South Korean Supreme Court ruled that soldiers of the same sex who have consensual sex in a private space cannot be charged with assault under the Military Criminal Act, The Hankyoreh reported. Previously, the court ...
|Federal court strikes down Pentagon's restrictions on military service of people Living with HIV as unconstitutional 2022-04-07|
-- From a press release - "The court ruled that the Pentagon's policies regarding service members with HIV are not only outdated, but unlawful, arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional . . . one of the strongest judicial rulings in over two decades ...
|Leader in fight to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to join virtual book club with LGBTQ veterans April 7 2022-04-07|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), will join the Chicago chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) April 7 at 7 p.m. for a virtual Book ...
|Gov. Pritzker lauds legislation to strengthen Illinois' response to military sexual violence 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In a nation-leading effort to protect survivors of military sexual violence and hold perpetrators accountable, the Illinois National Guard worked closely with state Senate Assistant Majority Leader Tony ...
|NATIONAL Oregon ruling, bomb threat, military lawsuit, Tim Cook, Netflix 2022-01-30|
- The Oregon Court of Appeals upheld a 2015 ruling by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) that the owners of Gresham-based Sweetcakes By Melissa violated the state's nondiscrimination statutes when they refused to bake ...
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|Resolution recognizes 10th anniversary of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2021-09-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC Today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), along with Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) and Rep. Chris Pappas (D-NH), lead a resolution to recognize the 10th anniversary of the enactment of the repeal of "Don't Ask, ...
|BOOKS 'Mission Possible' released before 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anniversary 2021-09-20|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), has written Mission Possible: The Story of the Repealing 'Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is the inside story of SLDN, which was ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|VA to offer surgery to transgender vets for the first time
- U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denis McDonough announced that officials, for the first time, will offer surgeries for transgender veterans seeking to transition, Military Times reported. The move follows ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Chicago LGBT veterans honor the fallen on Memorial Day 2021-05-31|
- The Chicago Chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) honored the fallen on Memorial Day with flowers at the granite monument on Halsted Street and Addison which honors LGBTQ veterans. The monument was commissioned ...