||Obama Makes History
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 2404 times since Wed Nov 10, 2004
Democratic senatorial candidate Barack Obama made history Nov. 2. By beating ultra-conservative talk show host Alan Keyes in a landslide victory, Obama will be the only African American in the United States Senate. The race itself actually made history because it was the first time that two African Americans had faced each other in a senatorial contest.
Obama had 70 percent, or 3,425,074 votes, and Keyes had 27 percent, or 1,319,920 votes, in unofficial returns. Two third-party candidates split the rest of the vote. Obama's 43 percentage point lead over Keyes trumps the previous record for a U.S. Senate race in Illinois. Obama's vote total was the largest in Illinois history, topping the 3 million collected by Republican Gov. James R. Thompson in 1976. His margin of victory, 2 million votes, broke the record of 1.574 million set by Republican Jim Edgar in his 1986 secretary of state contest against a Lyndon LaRouche-backed candidate running as the Democratic nominee.
One reason that Obama was able to get so many votes was because he portrayed himself as someone who can unite people despite racial and political differences. Another reason was that Keyes often caused controversy by making statements such as 'Jesus would not vote for Obama.'
At his victory rally, a beaming Obama said 'Thank you, Illinois! Let me say how grateful I am to all of you for the extraordinary privilege of standing here.' He concluded his victory speech with those three little words that became his campaign's mantra: 'Yes, we can!'
The charismatic Obama, the son of a Kenyan father and American mother, was a relatively obscure Senate hopeful just a few months ago but catapulted to prominence after giving an electrifying keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention in July. Asked how he felt to become the lone African-American in the Senate, Obama said in an interview published by the Chicago Tribune that ' [ his ] first responsibility will be to the people of Illinois.'
This article shared 2404 times since Wed Nov 10, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Ben Whishaw, non-binary actor, Cardi B, Obama, 'Grease' prequel 2021-07-18|
- Out actor Ben Whishaw stars in the film Surge, which will debut Sept. 24 and On Demand, a press release announced. Whishaw portrays Joseph, who is trapped in a soulless job, living a life devoid of ...
|Art on theMART to project Obamas, Frida Kahlo 2021-05-06|
- In partnership with Chicago's Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, Art on theMART today announced two major new additions to its summer program: The Obama Portraits (debuting June 17) and Frida Kahlo (starting July 5). ...
|Hate mail threatening Obamas, Biden, Harris sent to DuSable 2021-04-28|
- The Secret Service is investigating six threatening letters sent to the DuSable Museum of African American History that mention President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and the Obama family, among others, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Judge orders restoration of DACA
- Judge Nicholas Garaufis, of the U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, ordered the Trump administration to fully restore Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)an Obama-era initiative that protects undocumented immigrants brought ...
|SAVOR Less is more for out chef Art Smith during pandemic 2020-06-09|
DISH Dining Guide - When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. Just ask Art Smith. During the coronavirus pandemicthe culinary expert who has cooked for luminaries such as Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas and Nelson Mandelahas employed a healthful plan ...
|Report: Trump aiming to remove protections for LGBTQ patients 2020-04-25|
- The Trump administration is moving to remove an Obama-era policy that protected LGBTQ patients from discrimination, Politico reported. The health department is close to finalizing its long-developing rewrite of Obamacare's ...
|Barack Obama backs Joe Biden for president 2020-04-14|
- On April 14, former President Barack Obama offered a video endorsement of his close confidant and friend, former Vice President Joe Biden. "Choosing Joe to be my vice president was one of the best decisions I ...
|Greer named Biden's LGBTQ liaison 2020-03-23|
- Reggie Greera D.C-based LGBTQ advocate who has worked as an Obama administration appointee and point person for LGBTQ elected officialshas been named LGBTQ vote director for Joseph Biden, The Washington Blade reported. "It's an honor of ...
|Obama portraits in Chicago in 2021 2020-01-26|
- The Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery has announced a five-city tour next year of the portraits of President Barack Obama and Mrs. Michelle Obama by artists Kehinde Wiley and Amy Sherald, respectively, that will launch during the ...
|SHOWBIZ Best LGBTQ films, Eddie Murphy, Obama's songs, DJ retires 2020-01-07|
- Advocate released its list of the 30 best LGBTQ films of the 2010s. Some on the list include Appropriate Behavior, Moonlight, The Kids Are All Right, Spa Life, The Handmaiden, Colette, Tangerine, Weekend, Booksmart, Rafiki, Beats ...
|2020 ELECTIONS Presidential candidates make pleas during Iowa LGBT debate 2019-09-21|
- Several Democratic candidates seemed to throw President Obama under the metaphorical bus Sept. 20, as they sought to illustrate how they didn't take as long as other Democrats to "evolve" on LGBT issues. Former Vice President ...
|High-school complex to be named after Michelle Obama 2019-03-09|
- Michelle Obama's Chicago high school alma mater, Whitney Young High School, will name its new $4.3-million athletic complex after the former first lady, according to an WGNTV.com item that cites The Chicago Sun-Times. Obama graduated from ...
|An evening with Michelle
- Former First Lady Michelle Obama swept into Boston recently as part of the national book tour promoting her memoir Becoming; the event was held at the TD Garden. The evening before the event, my spouse and ...
|NATIONAL: Military lawsuit, Ohio's pro-trans measure, Obama highway 2018-12-26|
- Lambda Legal and OutServe-SLDN, with partner law firm Winston & Strawn, filed a lawsuit on behalf of two HIV-positive members of the United States Air Force who were given discharge orders just days before the holiday ...
|DeVos Rescinds Obama Guidance, Leadership Conference responds 2018-12-18|
- WASHINGTON — Vanita Gupta, president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, issued the following statement on the School Safety Commission's report: "The School Safety Commission report lays out policies and practices ...