WINDY CITY TIMES
||Northwestern Univ. names first woman president
This article shared 415 times since Tue Oct 12, 2021
Rebecca M. Blank, chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has been named the next president of Northwestern University, the school announced.
Blankthe university's first woman president in the school's 170-year historywill become Northwestern's 17th leader effective next summer.
She is a well-known researcher on poverty and the low-income labor market and has served as an economics expert in three presidential administrations. Her appointment as Northwestern's next president marks a return to the University, where decades ago, she was the first tenured woman in the economics department.
The 34-member search committee unanimously recommended Blank to the board of trustees. The committee included a diverse mix of members from across Northwestern's stakeholder groups, including trustees, faculty, students, staff and alumni leaders. The faculty and students represented the broad domain of schools at Northwestern and included undergraduate, graduate and professional student representation.
Blank will succeed University President Morton Schapiro.
This article shared 415 times since Tue Oct 12, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Illinois high schoolers distribute anti-LGBTQ+ survey 2021-10-23|
- At Anna-Jonesboro Community High School in Anna, Illinois, a student group calling itself the "Anti-Queer Association" distributed a survey asking others if they think "queers" should be allowed to use the school restroom with "normal people," ...
|More than half of American Indian, Alaskan Native LGBT adults in the U.S. have been attacked 2021-10-21|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that the estimated 285,000 adults in the U.S. that identify as American Indian or Alaskan Native (AIAN) and LGBT report high rates of ...
|Attorneys general file pro-transgender brief 2021-10-15|
- A coalition of 20 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of Soule v. Connecticut Association of Schools, opposing the plaintiffs' efforts ...
|LGBT Chamber of Commerce to build 1,000 school supply kits for underserved kids 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Back 2 School Illinois (B2SI), the state's largest free school supply program, in partnership with the LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois, will host a build-A-kit event at the Center on Halsted on Monday, ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|PHIMC to present second Mary F. Morten Award on Nov. 7 2021-10-06|
- Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago (PHIMC) announced Chicago Freedom School as the 2021 recipient of the Mary F. Morten Award for Justice. According to a release, "Chicago Freedom School is being recognized for its vital ...
|Opera singer Ketelson to give Center on Halsted performance 2021-10-05|
- World renowned bass-baritone opera singer Kyle Ketelsen will perform Italian arias at the Center on Halsted to raise funds both to support his alma mater, Clinton (Iowa) High School (Vocal Department) and Care for Real Pantry ...
|Lambda Literary to expand LGBTQ Writers in Schools Program in New York City schools 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - New York, NY — Today, Lambda Literary announced that New York City has quadrupled its investment in the organization's LGBTQ Writers in Schools program, increasing funding from $100,000 to $400,000 to reach 10,000 students and provide ...
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...
|Indiana students sue over gay-straight club's alleged treatment 2021-09-24|
- In Pendleton, Indiana, a group of Pendleton Heights High School students has filed a lawsuit against the school and South Madison Community School Corporation over allegations that the school has been treating its Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) ...
|Report: 2.3M Latinx LGBT adults live in the U.S. 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that an estimated 2.3 million adults in the U.S. identify as Hispanic or Latino/a and LGBT. Researchers found that Latinx LGBT people fare ...
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Equality Illinois 'deeply troubled' by investigation into pro-LGBTQ teacher 2021-09-20|
- Equality Illinois issued a press release stating it is "deeply troubled" after a DuPage County teacher is being investigated for posts about LGBTQ history and racial justice. The videos, which were reposted to Twitter in early ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...