||Northalsted Market Days in photos
This article shared 2045 times since Wed Aug 12, 2015
It was that time of year when cars are removed from the streets of Boystown, and the area between Belmont Avenue to Addison Street on Halsted Street is filled with vendor booths and stages.
Northalsted Market Days turned 34 this year and the turnout was bigger than ever. There was a variety of talent, from rappers Salt-N-Pepa and soul sisters En Vogue to young Internet sensations Jack & Jack. Local talent was on the scene, also, with '80s cover band 16 Candles and the Chicago Gay Men's Chorus. Vendors ranged from the Illinois Lottery to the Hilton Hotel. A mix of radios stations and many gay bars presented products on the street, and politics was present, thanks to a Hillary Clinton booth. Attention was brought to animal rescue, and gay theater companies offered discounts to a season full of shows.
The largest two-day festival in the Midwest took place Aug. 8-9an exhausting weekend for some, as people danced in the street to DJs spinning and stages full of music.
Visit Northalsted.com for updates on next year's festivities as well as events throughout the year.
Text by Jerry Nunn. Photos by Jerry Nunn and Ed Negron.
This article shared 2045 times since Wed Aug 12, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Indy Pride to be virtual again in 2021
- Indy Pride, Indianapolis' largest LGBTQ celebration, will be virtual again for a second consecutive year as event holders say it's "not reasonable to plan and host an in-person festival during Pride Month at this time," IndyStar.com ...
|Students speak out after Pride flag removal at Indiana school [UPDATE]
- Students spoke out April 12 against the removal of Pride flags at a middle school in northwest Indiana, according to CBS Chicago. According to ABC7Chicago.com, a Black Lives Matter poster was also removed. LGBTQ students addressed ...
|WORLD Pride in London, racist drag shows, Korean defector, Alan Turing 2021-03-28|
- Pride in London announced that its five most senior members, including its co-chairs, will step down following damning accounts of racism and bullying, PinkNews reported. The non-profit has been deluged by demands for new leadership after ...
|k.d. lang to release dance-remix album 'makeover' on May 28
- In celebration of Pride Month, Nonesuch Records is releasing k.d. lang's makeovera new collection of classic dance remixes of some of her best-loved songson May 28. The album brings these remixes, made between 1992 and 2000, ...
|Pride and Less Prejudice to host panel on LGBTQ media representation March 20
- On Saturday, March 20, at 1 p.m. CT, Pride and Less Prejudice (PLP)which provides free, age-appropriate, LGBTQ-inclusive books to pre-K-3rd grade students in order to foster LGBTQ inclusivity and acceptancewill ...
|Male-only Michigan campsite bans trans men
- In Michigan, the owners of Camp Boomerang RV Park and Campground in Orleansabout 50 miles northwest of Lansingannounced they will ban trans men from their male-only park when they officially open this spring, PrideSource.com reported. "Camp ...
|Milwaukee PrideFest announces postponement 2021-01-28|
--From a press release at milwaukeepride.org - Milwaukee PrideFest has announced that it will move this year's festival from its usual time slot in early June. PrideFest is working with Milwaukee Ethnic Festivals, Inc. on potential dates, hoping to reschedule the event for late summer or early fal ...
|Social exclusion, career limitations hinder LGBTQ STEM professionals
- ANN ARBORLGBTQ professionals' pride in their science, technology, engineering, and math work is not reciprocated, say researchers. These STEM professionals are more likely to experience career limitations, social exclusion and ...
|Lighthouse Foundation to host Black Queer Pride: Winter Edition 2020-12-22|
--From a press release - Lighthouse Foundation will host Chicago's Virtual Black Queer Pride: Winter Edition with three days of programming by eleven local Black Queer artists. The virtual event will take begin on Facebook live, Friday, ...
|PrideArts to screen A Not So Silent Night Tuesday, Dec. 15
- To honor the tradition of gathering around with family and singing holiday songs, even in a pandemic. PrideArts is hosting a one-time screening of the film A Not So Silent Night tonight, Dec. 15, 2020. The ...
|THEATER Pride Arts artistic director resigns; PFP keeps Zak 2020-11-12|
- Two controversial developments have occurred at Pride Arts (in which Pride Films & Plays, PFP, is the main tenant). According to a letter from PrideArts President Cheri Tatar that Windy City Times obtained, PFP Artistic Director ...
|Campus Pride announces 2020 Best of the Best LGBTQ-friendly colleges, universities 2020-10-14|
--From a press release - Campus Pride commemorates LGBTQ History Month and National Coming Out Day by releasing its 2020 BEST OF THE BEST LGBTQ-Friendly listing of colleges and universities. The announcement features forty campuses ...
|30 Under 30 Awards 2000-2019 2020-09-30|
- Honoring local LGBTQ people 30 and younger who excelled in entertainment, politics, health, activism, academics, sports and other areas, Windy City Times' 30 Under 30 Awards ceremonies, which started in 2000, were held during Pride Month. ...
|WORLD Iran report, Uruguay Pride parade, anti-gay terrorist 2020-09-29|
- A new survey"Hidden Wounds: A Research Report on Violence Against LGBTI in Iran," published by the Iranian Lesbian and Transgender Network, 6Rangis shedding light on the atrocities LGBTQ+ Iranians face on a daily basis, Out.com reported. ...
|Champaign County holding virtual Pride event Sept. 25-27 2020-09-21|
- Champaign County-Uniting Pride of Champaign County announced the theme for the 2020 Champaign County Pride Celebration, taking place virtually Sept. 25-27: "Staying ApartRising United." Some of the events include the ...