WINDY CITY TIMES
||Nondiscrimination guidelines affirmed after Trump rollback
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 929 times since Mon Jul 6, 2020
Illinois state officials issued guidance June 26 affirming the state's existing nondiscrimination protections on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
The guidance came two weeks after U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ( HHS ) announced that it would remove protections for transgender individuals and other marginalized populations that had been inscribed in the Affordable Care Act.
"Not only does this removal completely undermine a major pillar of the historic ACA legislation, it creates confusion about the right of everyone in the LGBTQ+ community, and specifically transgender individuals, to receive healthcare free from discrimination," said state officials in a press release, who further noted, however, that the state already had myriad protections on the books to protect those individuals in situations in which they now might be more vulnerable.
"From day one, my administration has sought to protect LGBTQ+ individuals, including by expanding HIV preventative care and treatment, funding gender-affirming surgeries, fostering affirming and inclusive classrooms in which LGBTQ+ students are able to thrive, and ensuring LGBTQ+ students see themselves reflected in the curriculum," said Gov. JB Pritzker. "That work becomes even more urgent when the federal government hands down policy decisions that undermine people's basic humanity. As we live through exceedingly difficult times, we must unite against all forms of hate and show empathy and compassion for one anotherespecially as we fight for full equality and justice for all of our country's residents."
"No one should be discriminated against because of who they are or who they love," added Illinois Department of Human Rights Director Jim Bennett. "Illinois is a state where everyone's identities are affirmed. Our healthcare systems must be safe places for the LGBTQ+ community to seek care and the Illinois Department of Human Rights' team of investigators and lawyers will be there to enforce the protections our laws afford."
This article shared 929 times since Mon Jul 6, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD European Union, groundbreaking case, Caster Semenya 2020-11-23|
- The European Union announced its first strategy to protect the rights of LGBTQ+ people, out.com noted. Many saw the development as a response to the rising anti-LGBTQ+ hate and rhetoric in Poland and Hungary. The new ...
|Feds investigating alleged anti-Semitic activity at Univ. of Illinois 2020-11-17|
- The Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) announced it has opened a formal investigation into a complaint alleging Jewish students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) ...
|New guide out for educators, parents advocating for LGBTQ students with disabilities 2020-11-17|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation released a new resource to help both parents and educators advocate on behalf of LGBTQ students with disabilities. NCLR partnered with HRC Foundation, the National ...
|Civil rights, LGBT groups challenge extreme punishment of gay man for texts 2020-11-12|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, NY On Nov. 9, 2020, the Center for HIV Law and Policy (CHLP) filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court of Virginia in support of Galen Baughman, a young gay man at ...
|WORLD Canada museum, gay NZ leader, marriage items, 'Drag Race' 2020-11-09|
- The embattled Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) said it's planning sweeping changes to rebuild the organization more than four months after staff came forward with shocking allegations of racism and LGBT censorship, CBC.ca reported. The ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...
|HRC Chicago seeks nominations for corporate equality award
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Chicago has announced the inaugural HRC Corporate Champion for Equality Award to honor individuals who have made a significant contribution to advancing equality through their workplaces. ...
|LETTER Thank you, Pope Francis 2020-10-22|
- I never thought I would live to see the day when a pope would endorse civil rights for LGBTQ couples. Praise God for His Grace. Also, the many Roman Catholic individuals and organizations who worked so ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...
Equality Illinois distributes $115,000+ in COVID relief grants to LGBTQs 2020-10-13|
--From a press release - Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer people; through a grant the Illinois COVID Response Fund (ICRF) and community organizations, has awarded over $115,000 in COVID relief grants ...
|HRC releases newest Congressional Scorecard
- On Oct. 8, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) released its Congressional Scorecard measuring support for LGBTQ equality in the 116th Congress. Members of Congress were scored based on a range of key indicators of supportfrom votes ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...
|$4M gift for IU McKinney School of Law focuses on LGBTQ rights, diversity 2020-10-02|
--From a press release - INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law has announced a significant $4 million gift from IU alumnus Steve Tuchman and his husband, Reed Bobrick. The gift will support the creation of an ...
|HRC Pres. Alphonso David reacts to U.S. approaching 200,000 COVID deaths 2020-09-21|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC - Today, as the United States approaches the grim milestone of surpassing 200,000 deaths caused by COVID-19, Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC) President Alphonso David released the following ...
|WORLD Barbados items, EU's criticism, Billie Jean King, Equality Act 2020-09-21|
- Barbados is ready to grant legal status to same-sex couples, in a major breakthrough for gay rights lobbying in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) region, The Jamaica Gleaner reported. Gov. General Dame Sandra Mason made the announcement ...