||Nikki Giovanni raps about rap
by Yasmin Nair
This article shared 7960 times since Sat Nov 1, 2008
The poet and author Nikki Giovanni is best known for her essays and poetry on Black history and civil rights issues. Over the last 10 years, she's also become renowned for her children's books. These include 2005's Rosa, on the late Rosa Parks.
Giovanni, a Distinguished Professor of English at Virginia Tech, was recently in Chicago as part of a book tour to launch the publication of her two latest children's books, Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat and Lincoln and Douglass. She spoke at Women and Children First to a packed audience of approximately 125. Although the Oct. 18 event was billed as a 'family event' and began at 4:30 p.m. to accommodate children's schedules, only a dozen or so of the attendees were actually children.
The author spoke first about Hip Hop Speaks to Children, in a rapid-fire style, while slipping in an occasional comment about the current election season, much to the delight of her adult audience. Giovanni spoke about why she felt the need to write a children's book about Hip Hop. Criticizing 'cultural critics' like Bill Cosby, she said that the blanket condemnation of the music genre as dangerous and violent was unwarranted: 'Somebody needs to show these kids [ the musicians ] respect. Somebody my age needs to speak up.'
The book is designed as an anthology of poetry, featuring the work of gay icons Langston Hughes and Gwendolyn Brooks, as well as other entertainers such as Queen Latifah; it comes with a CD of performances. Giovanni said her intent was to show children Hip Hop's history as an established music tradition with roots going back to the 'vernacular' and oral traditions of rhythm and communication, including the seemingly remote traditions of Italian opera and the more readily seen influences of traditional sermons in Black churches. Giovanni appeared particularly concerned about letting children and youth know that there were distinctions in the genre itself: 'If we show [ children ] the breadth and reach of Hip Hop, we give them the tools to see which kind is legitimate and which is not.'
Speaking about Lincoln and Douglass, Giovanni said her attempt in this book was to provide an illustrated story about the friendship between Abraham Lincoln and the abolitionist Frederick Douglass.
Photo of Giovanni by Yasmin Nair
This article shared 7960 times since Sat Nov 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ravinia to unveil 'Bernstein's Answer' immersive theater experience 2021-07-23|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, ILOn Saturday, August 7, the Ravinia Festival and Jeffrey P. Haydon, its President and CEO, will officially unveil the Ravinia Music Box (RMB) and its immersive theater experience, titled Bernstein's Answer, and fully open ...
|MUSIC 'I'm Every Woman: Divas Through the Decades' on Aug. 2 2021-07-20|
- LGBTQ+ party organization Slo 'Mo: Slow Jams for Queer Fam is celebrating its 10th anniversary with "Slo 'Mo Presents: I'm Every Woman: Divas Through the Decades with Akenya & Friends" on Monday, Aug. 2, at Millennium ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Whishaw, non-binary actor, Cardi B, Obama, 'Grease' prequel 2021-07-18|
- Out actor Ben Whishaw stars in the film Surge, which will debut Sept. 24 and On Demand, a press release announced. Whishaw portrays Joseph, who is trapped in a soulless job, living a life devoid of ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|American Blues to present 'The Great American (and French) Songbook' 2021-07-12|
- On Friday, July 16, American Blues Theater, under the continued leadership of Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside, will present The Great American (and French) Songbook, performed by Suzy Petri and guests as part of its music series ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|AIDS ballet movie coming to Chicago on July 16 2021-07-07|
- The movie Can You Bring It: Bill T. Jones and D-Man in the Waters will open Friday, July 16, in virtual cinemas in Chicago at Gene Siskel Film Center and Music Box Theatre. "Can You Bring It"co-directed by Rosalynde LeBlanc and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hedwig,' Oscars, Demi Lovato, GLAAD, Stevie Nicks 2021-07-04|
- Following 2019's sold-out, three-night engagement at The Town Hall in New York City (and several postponements in 2020), Hedwig and the Angry Inch co-creators John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask are returning with a rock spectacle ...
|Move your body! "House City" music series starts Sunday 2021-07-03|
- "House City" (kicking off July 4) is a new, 10-part series of free events popping up throughout the summer in the neighborhoods that helped create the House music genre over 35 years ago. DJ Jes, El ...
|PrideArts 2021-22: "The Search for Identity Among Queer Communities" 2021-07-01|
- CHICAGO — An Australian musical, a comedy-drama from the writer whose play was adapted as the hit movie JUDY, an Uptown holiday celebration, a new Ruth Bader Ginsberg bio, and a fifth play to be announced, ...
|'Concert for Love and Acceptance' features LGBTQ artists, allies 2021-07-01|
- Country music artist and philanthropist Ty Herndon, in partnership with CMT, held his annual Concert For Love & Acceptance on June 30. Presented virtually as an exclusive live streaming event, performances included Herndon, Brothers Osborne, Kristin ...
|Judge denies Britney Spears' request regarding father 2021-07-01|
- Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Brenda Penny signed an order June 30 denying Britney Spears' request to have her father, Jamie Spears, removed from the financial aspects of her conservatorship, NPR reported. Spears' attorney, Samuel D. ...
|Bienen School of Music launches 'Black Composer Showcase' series 2021-06-28|
- The Bienen School of Music at Northwestern University has launched a new series of videos featuring performances of art songs and chamber music by Black composers. The three-part Black Composer Showcase series (consisting of "Chicago Connections," ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes on TV, trans jazz musician, book award, 'Red Table Talk' 2021-06-27|
- Wanda Sykes has been tapped for a recurring role in the upcoming fifth season of Robert and Michelle King's legal drama The Good Fight, on Paramount+, Deadline noted. She will play Allegra Duradoa brilliant, strategic attorney ...
|MOVIES 'Truman & Tennessee' opening July 2 at Music Box
- The film Truman & Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation will open Friday, July 2, in physical and virtual theater in Chicago at Music Box Theatre. Actors Zachary Quinto and Jim Parsons make voiceover contributions in the film ...