WINDY CITY TIMES
||New film sparks talk on broken justice system for local trans women
by Vee L. Harrison
This article shared 1794 times since Wed Feb 27, 2019
Eisha Love is a 29-year-old trans woman with profound stories to tell about her life in Chicago and its justice system. Her life is under current reconstruction after being incarcerated. And now, there's a documentary that tells her story and exposes lack of justice in Chicago when it comes to trans women, specifically trans women of color.
"The documentary reflects me trying to get back on my feet," said Love at the screening of Chicago Love, a documentary about trans women in the Windy City. "Now, I want to be a voice for other trans women in Chicago who has been abused by the justice system. These topics are not just about women in Chicago, these injustices happen to trans women around the world."
Chicago Love highlights things about injustice toward trans women in Chicago, especially those with criminal records, like Love. The documentary touches on situations like instances when some trans women are held without trial, put in unsafe jails and experience discrimination in court.
On Feb. 20, the American Civil Liberty Union of Illinois ( ACLU ) hosted a screening and discussion on Chicago Loveone part of the three-part documentary series called Trans In America. The event took place at the Chicago Urban League that evening, with nearly 70 people in attendance. A panel discussion after the film featured other transgender Chicagoans speaking on injustices their community experiences in society, especially within the workforce and criminal justice system.
"It's clear that transgender individuals and non-binary individuals are under across the country and this has really ramped up during the Trump administration," said Max Bever, communications director at ACLU Illinois.
"It is very important for the ACLU to highlight people of all ages and from all walks of life in this documentary series," said Bever. "It is important for us to help people tell their stories. We are highlighting the many areas that need to improve where we need real legislation and real policies to be able to help these issues including housing, job discrimination, police interaction and much more."
This article shared 1794 times since Wed Feb 27, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|THEATER Out actor Dan Butler to be in 'When Harry Met Rehab' 2021-09-15|
- Don Clark, a Chicago-based film/theater producer as well as co-owner of the Chicago Magic Lounge, will present the world premiere of When Harry Met Rehaba comedy that takes sobriety seriously and is based loosely on the ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Boy Meets Boy,' Jennifer Hudson, 'SVU,' tennis honor, ABBA 2021-09-12|
- Ariztical Entertainment is releasing the German movie Boy Meets Boy on DVD and VOD on Oct. 26. According to a press release, the plot of the 70-minute movie is as follows: "Harry has been partying for ...
|MOVES Talking about 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' 2021-09-08|
- The new movie Everybody's Talking About Jamie tells the inspiring story of Jamie New, a young drag artist who overcomes hardship and homophobia in Sheffield, England. Out actor Max Harwood stars as New, who gets by ...
|Survivor shares the story of trauma and thriving in 'Untold' 2021-09-07|
- WARNING: This article contains material of a graphic nature. Gina M. Garcia is finally sharing her story of thriving after trauma in her new docu-drama biography, Untold: This is My Story, which premieres Sept. 6 at ...
|MOVIES Fall films harvest famous names for LGBTQ+ stories 2021-09-01|
- The film industry is featuring world-renowned names like Lady Gaga, Truman Capote and Tammy Faye on the big screen this fall season. Award-winning musicals, true-life stories and far-out fiction are all part of the fun in ...
|MOVIES 'On Broadway' to open Sept. 10 in Highland Park 2021-09-01|
- As theatergoers prepare for the return of Broadway after an unprecedented absence of 18 months, Kino Lorber is releasing Academy Award nominee Oren Jacoby's documentary On Broadway. The tribute to one of the most vibrant ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, 'Death Drop,' Brandi Carlile, vintage films, Gaga 2021-08-29|
- Billy Porter will direct a queer teen comedy feature titled To Be Real for Amazon Studios, which is being helmed by Gabrielle Union's I'll Have Another Productions, NME.com noted. Porter, who is currently working on his ...
|EVENTS Celebrity attendees named for Wizard World Chicago 2021-08-28|
- William Shatner (Star Trek; TV's Boston Legal), Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy, TV's The Walking Dead), Matthew Lewis (All Creatures Great and Small), James Marsters (TV series Buffy the ...
|TV Netflix animated series 'Chicago Party Aunt' debuts Sept. 17 2021-08-27|
- The LGBTQ-inclusive series Chicago Party Aunt will debut on Netflix on Friday, Sept. 17. Inspired by the popular Twitter account Chicago Party Aunt, this eight-episode adult animated comedy follows Diane Dunbrowski and nephew Daniel as they ...
|Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival announces full slate 2021-08-25|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois — Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival today announced the full slate of programming for 2021, opening September 23, 2021 at the Music Box Theatre (3733 N. Southport Ave.) and running September 24 ...
|MOVIES 'Mr. SOUL!' looks at groundbreaking '60s show and Black, gay host 2021-08-23|
- Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Nikki Giovanni, James Baldwin, Cicely Tyson, Harry Belafonte, Muhammad Ali, The Last Poets, Earth, Wind & Fire, Sidney Poitier, Mavis Staples and even a teenaged Arsenio Hall were ...
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, GALECA toast, Elliot Page, 'Chippendales,' bi model 2021-08-22|
- RuPaul revealed a new wax figure at Madame Tussauds Las Vegas, a press release noted. The all-new Rainbow Runway experience invites guests to "meet" and take cues from the most commercially successful drag queen of all ...
|MUSIC Lyric Opera of Chicago's 'Pagliacci' on film 2021-08-18|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago announced that registration is now open for audiences to secure a free link to screen the new, original film production of Leoncavallo's Pagliacci, filmed at the Lyric Opera House. Audiences can now ...
|MOVIES Candyman 'Say It. I Dare You' challenge Aug. 21-22 in Chicago 2021-08-17|
- The Candyman "Say it. I Dare You!" challengean interactive pop-up experiencewill take place Aug. 21-22, 12-8 p.m., at Pioneer Court, 401 N. Michigan Ave. Guests are invited to enter a dark room where they are challenged ...