||New Exhibition by Juarez Hawkins
This article shared 3118 times since Wed Sep 1, 2004
Chicago lesbian artist Juarez Hawkins' first solo exhibit, Wimmin's Work, is at the African-American Cultural Center, University of Illinois at Chicago (Circle Campus), Room 207, Addams Hall (2nd floor). 'I've been working with household items as a vehicle for examining how women balance domestic duties with their life's work,' she said. Mixed media pieces in silk, leather, linen, and/or welded steel examine and redefine the notion of 'women's work'.
Also featured are the latest installments in The One Hundred self-portrait series. Reception: Friday, Aug. 27, 830 S. Halsted St., Chicago.
This article shared 3118 times since Wed Sep 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' June 5-Sept. 6 in Glen Ellyn 2021-05-07|
- The Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will host "Frida Kahlo: Timeless" June 5-Sept. 6 in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. Featuring 26 original works on ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Art on theMART to project Obamas, Frida Kahlo 2021-05-06|
- In partnership with Chicago's Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, Art on theMART today announced two major new additions to its summer program: The Obama Portraits (debuting June 17) and Frida Kahlo (starting July 5). ...
|ART Terra Foundation awards $2.5M for permanent collection projects 2021-05-06|
- The Terra Foundation for American Art announced the awarding of nearly $2.5 million in grants to 35 arts and cultural organizations throughout the country. These grants support projects through the foundation's new two-year exhibition grant initiative ...
|DePaul Art Museum to reopen May 14 2021-05-05|
- With COVID-19 safety precautions in place, DePaul Art Museum will reopen to in-person viewing Friday, May 14. A pair of exhibitions—"LatinXAmerican" and "Claudia Peña Salinas: Quetzalli"—will be on display through ...
|Exceptions the rule at 2021 Oscars 2021-04-26|
- After a year that saw the motion picture industry upended by both the COVID-19 pandemic and an already shifting entertainment landscape, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences pressed on with the 93rd Annual Oscars ...
|ART 'Immersive Van Gogh' to now continue through Nov. 28
- Due to popular demand, the U.S. premiere of the art experience "Immersive Van Gogh" exhibit will extend its run to Nov. 28 after having sold out the current block of tickets. It was originally extended through ...
|Chicago's LGBTQ+ Armenian community aims to 'Cher the Love for Artsakh' 2021-04-02|
- Entanika queer Armenian-American organization based in Chicago and operating online and whose name means "family" in Armenianis holding its first event, "Cher the Love for Artsakh." The event is a virtual drag show featuring 12 Armenian ...
|First U.S. exhibition of Greek 20th-century artist Yannis Tsarouchis: Dancing in Real Life May 7 2021-04-02|
--From a press release - (CHICAGO, IL — April 2, 2021) — Wrightwood 659 is pleased to host the first U.S. exhibition devoted to the work of Yannis Tsarouchis (1910—1989), widely regarded as one of the greatest Greek painters of the ...
|ART 'Quantum Mirror' on Michigan Avenue through April 20
- Get ready for an innovative, immersive experience. "Quantum Mirror," by artist Adrian Stein, is a 300-square-foot space in Artspace 8, on the third floor of 900 N. Michigan Ave. It will run through at least April ...
|CHM to explore work of photographer Vivian Maier
- The Chicago History Museum 1601 N. Clark St., is featuring a collection of many never-before-seen works by world-renowned photographer Vivian Maier in an upcoming exhibition, "Vivian Maier: In Color," opening to the public May 8. "The ...
|EXPO CHICAGO announces galleries, programs for EXPO CHGO ONLINE April 8-12 2021-03-16|
- CHICAGO—EXPO CHICAGO today announced the participating galleries and program schedule for EXPO CHGO ONLINE (April 8—12, 2021), a curated digital exposition of contemporary and modern art complemented by five days ...
|Oscar nods for Boseman, Davis; 'Mank' leads films with 10
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences unveiled its nominations March 15 morning for the 93rd Oscars, with Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas announcing. Netflix's Mank which led all movies with 10 nods, including ...
|SHOWBIZ Oscars art, Billie Jean King, Billy Eichner, Randy Rainbow 2021-03-14|
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences revealed the campaign art for the 93rd Oscars, an ABC press release noted. The 2021 campaign illustrates this year's tagline, "Bring Your Movie Love," celebrating our global appreciation ...
|177 IL organizations document COVID-19 stories, support racial equity work 2021-03-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — A report detailing the hardships and successes of 177 Illinois-based community organizations underscores the need for more support in protecting our social fabric in a post-COVID world. Illinois Humanities, the Illinois affiliate to the ...