WINDY CITY TIMES
||Neon and Light Museum pop-up to start Sept. 9
This article shared 1548 times since Wed Jul 14, 2021
The new Neon and Light Museum pop-up invites guests to stand in, under and around approximately 70 professional neon and light-based sculptures in an exhibition opening in River North at 325 W. Huron St. (formerly the site of Nacional 27) on Sept. 9-Oct. 31.
Among the highlights are certain to be "Breathe," a 14-foot-tall perspective-based neon sculpture whereby when seen from the west, an image of a mature woman smelling a rose appears, while the view from the north reveals an image of a young girl blowing the seeds of a dandelion, as created by artist John Bannon; "Circle's Edge," Monika Wulfer's installation inviting participation with activated gas trapped in glass tubes; and an iconic neon self-portrait by legendary Beatle John Lennon.
The Neon and Light Museum is an expansion of the "On Neon" show presented here in 2020 by the Ken Saunders Gallery.
Reservations, capped at 60 persons per hour to maximize each individual experience, will be required for entry; no walk-ins will be allowed at this time. For more info on the new Neon and Light Museum experience and to reserve tickets, visit www.NeonAndLightMuseum.com .
This article shared 1548 times since Wed Jul 14, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|South Side Community Art Center's intersectional exhibit highlights art from queer community 2022-05-23|
- South Side Community Art Center's (SSCAC) newest exhibition explores the center's role in uplifting and supporting a community of queer Black creators through a collection of their art from the 1940s through the 1980s. "Bringing black ...
|Quiz program 'Wait, Wait' to start taping June 16 at the Studebaker 2022-05-16|
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, NPR's weekly hour-long quiz program, will resume live audience recordings Thursday, June 16, in a new Chicago home: the historic Studebaker Theater at the Fine Arts Building, 401 S. Michigan Ave. ...
|BOOKS 'Tinderbox' author to appear in Palatine on June 14 2022-05-13|
- Author Robert Fieseler will discuss his debut book—Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation—on Tuesday, June 14, at 7 p.m. at Palatine's Cutting Hall Performing Arts Center, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|PrideArts to present cabaret nights in May and June 2022-04-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — PrideArts Artistic Director Jay Espano (he/him/his) today announced a series of four Monday night cabaret performances by Chicago area musical theater and cabaret artists at the Pride Arts ...
|The Other Art Fair returns to the Loop 2022-04-25|
- The Other Art Fair returned to Chicago April 21-24 at Fulton Market, 1215 W. Fulton Market, for collectors, artists and art lovers with original works of art from more than 100 emerging artists. Just a few ...
|'It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful' explores art collective's part in HIV/AIDS activism 2022-04-23|
- In Jack Lowery's book, It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful: How AIDS Activists Used Art to Fight a Pandemic, the historian shares how the art collective Gran Fury utilized community-made propaganda to address the HIV/AIDS ...
|Gay artist couple among Mayor's Medal of Honor recipients 2022-04-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot announced the winners of the 2022 Mayor's Medal of Honor. The Mayor's Medal of Honor is an annual award presented by the Mayor to honorees who have demonstrated a passionate commitment ...
|ONE Archives running exhibit of vintage LGBTQ+ activist posters 2022-04-21|
- Los Angeles-based ONE Archives Foundation announced "Days of Rage, a web-based multimedia exhibit featuring newly digitized LGBTQ+ activist posters from the ONE National Gay and Lesbian Archives at the USC Libraries. The exhibit, which has launched ...
|Chicago Circus & Performing Arts Festival on April 21-24 2022-04-20|
- The multidisciplinary event Chicago Circus & Performing Arts Festival, produced by Yes Ma'am Circus, will run April 21-24 at The Den Theatre, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. Performances from 10 Chicago-based companies include traditional circus acts, avant-ga ...
|Gay Games 2023 announces updated sports list 2022-04-19|
- Gay Games 11 Hong Kong announced an all-new line-up of 23 sports for the November 2023 Gamesa global multisport, arts and culture event founded in 1982 that celebrates diversity and inclusion. Co-hosted with Guadalajara, Mexico, the ...
|The Other Art Fair to take place in the Loop on April 21-24 2022-04-15|
- The Other Art Fair returns to Chicago April 21-24 at Fulton Market, 1215 W. Fulton Market, for collectors, artists and art lovers with original works of art from 110+ emerging artists. The fair, now in its ...
|DANCE 'Wired,' focusing on barbed wire, to premiere at MCA on May 5-8 2022-04-14|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) will showcase the world premiere of Wired on May 5-8. Internationally recognized disability arts ensemble Kinetic Light will return to the stage to premiere its latest work. The work ...
|THEATER 'Seagull' opening Steppenwolf's new space April 28-June 12 2022-04-13|
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company will open its new in-the-round Ensemble Theater in Honor of Helen Zellthe centerpiece of its recently unveiled Liz and Eric Lefkofsky Arts and Education Centerwith ensemble member ...