||National Teen Test Day observed in Chicago
This article shared 4061 times since Fri Feb 1, 2008
Chicago teens were the targets of an HIV/AIDS educational outreach program that took place Jan. 5, a date organizations called National Teen Test Day.
On that date, an event sponsored by the Metropolitan Area Group for Igniting Civilizations, Inc. ( MAGIC ) and the National Teen Test Day Foundation received the support of politicians such as Congressmen Danny K. Davis and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, according to a press release from Miles Media & Marketing.
Over 500 youths and adults were tested for HIV and enjoyed a concert at the Harold Washington Cultural Center, 4701 S. Martin Luther King, that featured Chicago artists Crucial Conflict and Malik Yusef, among others, according to ChicagoTribune.com .
This article shared 4061 times since Fri Feb 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Summit looking for BIPOC LGBTQ+ attendees 2021-07-22|
- Pride Action Tank (PAT) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will co-host "Co-Creating Futures: A BIPOC LGBTQ+ Policy & Practices Summit," starting virtually on Saturday, July 31, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. CT. According to the event's webpage, "T ...
|30th Annual 2021 AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to benefit 25 groups, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-07-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Now in its 30th year, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Soldier Field on Saturday, October 2 to support individuals living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses. AIDS Run & ...
|NATIONAL Spa incident, N.J. items, AIDS gala, Tenn. lawsuits 2021-07-11|
- Tensions rose between protesters and counterprotesters in Los Angeles over a spa incident involving a transgender woman, The Hill reported. Recently, a cisgender woman complained to staff at Wi Spa in Koreatown after a transgender woman ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...
|Gilead requests approval of twice-a-year HIV medication 2021-07-02|
- Biopharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences recently submitted a new drug application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administrationand it's for the drug lenacapavir, a long-acting HIV inhibitor that is under clinical ...
|Making Gay History Podcast to launch Season 9:"Coming of Age During the AIDS Crisis" 2021-06-24|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, NY — Thursday, June 24, 2021 — The award-winning Making Gay History podcast will debut its ninth season, "Coming of Age During the AIDS Crisis," on July 1, 2021. After eight seasons of episodes ...
|HRC Foundation launches national HIV/AIDS campaign
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation announced the launch of "My Body, My Health," a comprehensive public education campaign that works toward building a generation free of HIV/AIDS and stigma. ...
|HIV/AIDS AFC, Getting to Zero award $350K in grants
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) joined Getting to Zero Illinois (GTZ-IL) in announcing the grant recipients for the first-ever Getting to Zero Illinois Community Grant Program—a pool of grants totaling $350,000. ...
|New book sets the record straight on Act Up New York 2021-06-10|
- Novelist, playwright, nonfiction writer, journalist, screenwriter, LGBTQ+-rights activist and AIDS historian Sarah Schuman preserves the power of the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) while laying everything out about ...
|When crime goes viral 2021-06-10|
- Activists say Illinois's law that makes it illegal to expose others to HIV is racist and homophobic. Now they're close to changing it.
In early 2016, Jimmy Amutavi had what he considered a happy life. More ...
|HIV at 40: Erie Family Health Center, focused on helping at-risk communities 2021-06-10|
- HIV/AIDS disproportionately affects Black communities—with Black gay and bisexual Black men and Black trans women being the most affected population than any other group in the country. More specifically, one in two Black MSM (men who ...
|HIV at 40: Dr. Anthony Fauci on the early days of another pandemic 2021-06-10|
- Dr. Anthony Fauci has been called "America's doctor"and with good reason. His face and advice regarding COVID have seemingly been omnipresent since the virus affected the masses early in 2020. However, decades before the word "coronavirus" ...
|National AIDS Memorial brings leaders of AIDS movement together to mark 40 years 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - San Francisco (Saturday, June 5, 2021) — Leaders of the AIDS movement came together in the National AIDS Memorial — the nation's federally-designated memorial to AIDS — to mark forty years since the first cases of ...
|Harold J. Phillips appointed director of the White House Office of National AIDS Policy 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - Statement from Jeffrey S. Crowley, distinguished scholar and director of the Infectious Disease Initiatives at the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University Law Center: I applaud President Biden's appointment of ...
|Mayor Lightfoot helps break ground at AIDS Garden Chicago 2021-06-02|
- On June 2, various local officials, including Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, helped break ground at the AIDS Garden Chicago—the city's first public park to memorialize the early days of Chicago's HIV epidemic, and to honor those ...