EN LA VIDA
||National Latino AIDS Awareness Day
This article shared 6147 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
WHAT: Congressional and Latino community leaders announce preparations for National Latino AIDS Awareness Day in 100 cities across the United States to call for expansion of resources for preventing spread of HIV infection in Latino communities and promote local activities to raise national, state and local awareness of expanding HIV/AIDS epidemic in Latino communities.
WHO: Congressional Leaders and Representatives of National and Local Latino organizations. Moderated by Laura Esquivel, (Latino Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Organization) and Alberto Santana (National Association of State and Territorial AIDS Directors). Speakers include Congress Member Hilda Solis (Chair, Health Committee for Congressional Hispanic Caucus); Congress Member Ileana Ros-Lehtinen; Catalina Sol (HIV Program Director, Clinica del Pueblo); Dennis DeLeon (President, Latino Commission on AIDS, New York, New York); Lorraine Cortes-Vasquez (President, Hispanic Federation, New York, New York); John Colon (Executive Director VIDA/SIDA, Chicago, Illinois) and Evelyn Ullah, (Director of the Office of HIV/AIDS at the Miami-Dade County Department of Health), and Juan Ledesma (Prevention Program Director, Bienestar Human Services, Los Angeles, California).
WHERE AND WHEN: Room 1116, Longworth House Office Building, Washington, D.C. Panel Discussion from 10 to 11:30 a.m. and Press Conference at 11:30 a.m.
WHY: On Oct. 15 in cities around the United States, Latino leadership will sponsor diverse activities that respond to the state of AIDS among Latinos in 2003 in their specific communities. In recognition of the surging new infections among Latinas and young Latinos/as, different localities and leaders will use the day to promote and sponsor activities on prevention. Others will use the day to make religious leaders and public officials aware of the needs in reducing new infections and caring for those Latinos with the virus. Others will use traditional expressions as an opportunity to demonstrate the curative power of our culture.
This article shared 6147 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk raises more than $400K 2021-10-06|
- CHICAGO — More than 1,800 advocates, community partners, runners, walkers, volunteers, staff members and more gathered at Soldier Field on Oct. 2 for the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago. The event raised approximately $420,000 ...
|Illinois HIV Care Connect launches HIV Innovation campaign 2021-10-05|
- On Oct. 5, Illinois HIV Care Connect launched its HIV Innovation web and social-media campaign, showcasing several Illinois HIV initiatives that are helping to prevent or treat HIV more effectively. Articles about five initiatives so far ...
|NATIONAL Black AIDS Institute, non-binary person attacked, Rachel Maddow 2021-10-03|
- The board of directors of the Black AIDS Institute (BAI) announced the appointments of Toni Newman as its interim chief executive officer and Dr. Kemal M. Atkins as managing director, a press release noted. In addition, ...
|AIDS Run & Walk celebrates 30 years with annual event 2021-10-03|
- Following a year where AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) held its annual AIDS Run & Walk fundraiser virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event returned to Soldier Field on Oct. 2 with the theme "Forward ...
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...