WINDY CITY TIMES
||National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund reacts to joint address by President Biden
This article shared 964 times since Thu Apr 29, 2021
Statement from Kierra Johnson, ED, National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund:
"Tonight, the President laid out a broad agenda that would improve the lives of diverse LGBTQ people in this country in so many ways, from the $15 national minimum wage to the infrastructure bill and the new American Families Bill, police reform, the expansion of hate crimes protections, gun control, voting rights and protecting our democracy and more. He prioritized the Equality Act as well, saying 'I also hope Congress can get to my desk the Equality Act to protect the rights of LGBTQ Americans. To all the transgender Americans watching at home especially the young people who are so brave I want you to know that your president has your back.'
I believe Congressman John Lewis would be mighty pleased, for the President's speech shows he and Vice-President Harris are all about making good trouble."
This article shared 964 times since Thu Apr 29, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Trans deaths, N.J. official, political items, 'Queer Eye' 2022-01-23|
- The murders of two Black transgender women in the early days of the new year struck an ominous tone in the wake of two of the deadliest years on record for transgender Americans, Gay City News ...
|Chile president-elect names LGBTQ+ people to his Cabinet 2022-01-22|
- Chilean President-elect Gabriel Boricwho won a runoff election on Dec. 21, 2021named two openly LGBTQ+ people to his Cabinet on Jan. 21, the Los Angeles Blade reported. Marco Antonio Avila, a gay man, will be the ...
|Lambda Legal issues assessment of Biden-Harris administration's work for LGBTQ+, HIV communities 2022-01-22|
-- From a press release - Washington, D.C. Lambda Legal released a new comprehensive report that assesses the Biden-Harris administration's first year with respect to its impact on the LGBTQ+ community and everyone living with HIV. While the report identifies significan ...
|Planned Parenthood Illinois Action launches virtual Black Community Town Hall Series in February 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO - Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA) proudly announces a new Black Community Town Hall series in honor of Black History Month. The series of virtual discussions will tackle topics such as community wellness and care, ...
|Failure to enact Freedom to Vote is a blow to vulnerable groups 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - From Kierra Johnson, Executive Director of the National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund: "The failure to enact the Freedom to Vote, John R. Lewis Act is a profound blow to our Democracy. The inability to ensure ...
|'Jane's Army' to recruit, deploy pro-choice volunteers 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL — Personal PAC, Men4Choice, and Future Voices Council have launched Jane's Army — a joint campaign to recruit activist volunteers to educate, motivate, and activate pro-choice voters ahead of the critical 2022 election. This ...
|Sinema under fire from LGBTQ+ groups for voting-rights stance 2022-01-20|
- Some LGBTQ+-rights organizations have criticized U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Arizona)—a member of the community—after her stance on voting rights. Sinema and fellow Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, have ...
|Human Rights Campaign Foundation releases new data on the LGBTQ+ wage gap 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the educational arm of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released ...
|Human Rights Campaign celebrates advances in LGBTQ+ policies one year into Biden-Harris administration 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — One day before the one year anniversary of the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) celebrates the advances that have been made in LGBTQ+ ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist Jim Obergefell announces political run 2022-01-18|
- Jim Obergefell—the LGBTQ+-rights activist and named plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide—announced Jan. 18 that he is launching a bid for the Ohio state House, CNN.com reported. "I took a history-ma ...
|Chief Judge Evans responds to Mayor Lightfoot's request on electronic monitoring 2022-01-18|
-- Press release from Office of the Chief Judge Cook County Circuit Court - Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans responded Jan. 19 to Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's request for a moratorium on use of electronic monitoring for defendants accused of certain violent crimes by pointing out the national and state ...
|Two join races for state office, Personal PAC comments on threats to reproductive rights 2022-01-18|
-- From a Personal PAC press release - Chicago, IL — Today, following the news that anti-choice extremists Richard Irvin and Avery Bourne would run as Republicans for governor and Lieutenant Governor of Illinois, Personal PAC President and CEO Terry Cosgrove released the following ...
|COVID Mayor Lightfoot ends isolation 2022-01-18|
- Five days after testing positive for COVID-19, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she is out of isolation, per CBS Chicago. "Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me and sent their well wishes. I am ...
|Aurora mayor joins crowded GOP field in race for governor 2022-01-18|
- Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin announced his candidacy for governor of Illinois on Jan. 17, joining a slew of Republicans hoping to challenge Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November, NBC Chicago reported. Irvin, a Black Republican and ...
|WORLD Archbishop demoted, Israel ruling, Denmark petition, tennis icon 2022-01-16|
- Pope Francis demoted Archbishop Giacomo Morandi, the number-two official in the doctrine office, due to the belief that he is responsible for the controversial document that bars blessings for same-sex couples, according to Newsweek. Morandi is ...