WINDY CITY TIMES
||National Black Justice Coalition honors the life of Monica Roberts
--From a press release
This article shared 503 times since Tue May 4, 2021
WASHINGTON, DC Today, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) celebrates the life and accomplishments of Monica Roberts, a revered transgender journalist, activist, and founder of the award-winning publication TransGriot.
Born in Houston, Texas on May 4, 1962, Monica began her transition in the early 1990s while working as a flight attendant and writing an LGBT column in Louisville, Kentucky. Her writing expanded from a local column to an internationally awarded blog known as TransGriot focusing on representation of Black transgender women in the media and accountability in accurately covering their deaths. Her extensive and groundbreaking work for the transgender community cemented her status as an LGBTQ+/SGL icon. Roberts was also a founding member of the National Transgender Advocacy Coalition, recipient of the coveted Human Rights Campaign John Walzel Equality Award, the Susan J. Hyde Award for Longevity in the Movement, and the Virginia Price Pioneer Award.
"Monica Roberts was a force," said David J. Johns, executive director of the National Black Justice Coalition. "Her work made the mainstream media reconsider how limited their coverage of trans issues had been at a time when trans folks were not at the front of any cultural or political conversations. Anyone who was blessed to share space with Monica knows how powerful her presence is. I smile remembering how she was always clear in communicating her point and demonstrating extreme compassion for the people she loved. I am thankful for the many ways that she helped inform the way that I move through the world as a Black male feminist who has the privilege of leading liberation work. I miss her."
"Monica put herself out there and with extremely high risk so that trans kids today could grow up in a world that loves and accepts them for who they are. While that mission is still very much in progress and will be for a long time, Monica is one of the people that started the entire conversation. NBJC is dedicated to helping her name and work live on through our eponymous fellowship and our Stolen Lives initiative, respectively, because LGBTQ+ people everywhere should know, honor, and appreciate the sacrifices Monica made for our community," concluded Johns.
"Although I never had the honor of sharing space with Monica, her existence has touched me in incredibly tangible ways. The response I get when speaking as the Monica Roberts Fellow at NBJC serves as a reminder of this fact. I've been so lucky to meet women who were Monica's sisters and comrades in the fight she led for our liberation," said Sage Dolan-Sandrino, artist, activist and Monica Roberts fellow at the National Black Justice Coalition. "It is through Monica's existence as an openly and proud transgender woman in the 90's that allowed little girls like me to even dream of one day stepping into our truths. Legacy is often so abstract and theoretical, but Monica's legacy is strong, visible, and alive. I am Monica's legacy, WE are her legacy. At NBJC, everyday, we work to improve the lived experiences of Black Trans and SGL people. Everyday we continue the work Monica began and gave her life to. Happy Birthday Monica! Thank you for your voice, your love, and your legacy."
Monica Roberts passed away on October 5, 2020 due to complications from a pulmonary embolism. Her work and legacy changed the world and journalism for the better.
The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) is America's leading civil rights organization dedicated to the empowerment of Black lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer+, and same gender loving (LGBTQ+/SGL) people, including people living with HIV.
This article shared 503 times since Tue May 4, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Tennessee governor signs anti-trans 'bathroom bill' 2021-05-15|
- On May 14, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed House Bill 1233 (Senate Bill 1367)an anti-transgender "bathroom bill"into law, The Advocate reported. The statute will deny trans students and staff in ...
|Quigley advocates for trans immigrants during ICE hearing 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, questioned Acting Director of Immigration ...
|Federal judge hears incarcerated trans woman's motion 2021-05-13|
- On May 12, a federal judge heard an emergency motion in a case charging the Georgia Department of Corrections (GDC) with violating the constitutional rights of Ashley Diamonda Black transgender woman currently incarcerated in a men's ...
|International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia to take place May 17 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - LGBTQI+ networks, individuals and allies from around the world will be celebrating the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia again this year on Monday, May 17. The theme for this year's events, known also as ...
|Gov. Pritzker announces $1B in Rebuild Illinois grants for Local infrastructure projects 2021-05-11|
--From a press release - CHAMPAIGN — As summer construction season ramps up, Gov. JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) today announced the fourth round of $250 million in Rebuild Illinois funded grants is available to advance municipal, ...
|Stephanie Battaglino, New York Life's first transgender officer, releases memoir 2021-05-11|
--From a press release - May 11, 2021… Educator and motivational speaker Stephanie Battaglino today officially released her memoir, Reflections from Both Sides of the Glass Ceiling: Finding My True Self in Corporate America, from L'Oste Vineyard Press. After many years ...
|TELEVISION Jasmine Davis returns to 'The Chi' 2021-05-11|
- Actress Jasmine Davis has a past history with Chicago, Illinois that continues into the future. Growing up in the Windy City has certainly paid off for the transgender performer throughout her career. After attending Kenwood High ...
|Evangelical Lutherans select first transgender bishop 2021-05-10|
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church elected its first openly transgender bishop on May 8, The Hill reported. The Rev. Megan Rohrer, who uses the pronouns they/them, was elected bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Sierra ...
|GLAAD issues inaugural Social Media Safety Index 2021-05-10|
--From a press release - New York, NY - May 10, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the findings of its inaugural Social Media Safety Index (SMSI), a 50-page ...
|WORLD Parenting news, Tonga activist, pension fight, drag personality 2021-05-09|
- A Croatian court has ruled that same-sex partners can now adopt children, backing a same-sex couple in their five-year fight for the right to family life, Openly News reported. On April 21, Zagreb's Administrative Court ruled ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
|Refugee Coalition of East Africa calls for attention to anti-queer violence 2021-05-07|
--From a press release - On May 17, the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia will be observed worldwide, followed by many celebrations of Pride in the month of June. We at the Refugee Coalition of East Africa will raise ...
|Utah Supreme Court upholds transgender rights 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - Salt Lake City — On Thursday, May 6, the Utah Supreme Court ruled today In Re Gray and Rice (20170046) 2021 UT 13, and confirmed the right of transgender Utahns to change the name and gender ...
|WORLD Caribbean group, hate crime, 'Queen of the Pacific,' volcano wedding 2021-05-02|
- A Caribbean advocacy group launched a fund to help LGBTQ people who have been impacted by the eruption of a volcano on the island of St. Vincent, The Washington Blade reported. The Eastern Caribbean Alliance for ...
|NATIONAL Black trans candidate, travel case, trans death, CEO fired 2021-05-02|
- RuPaul's Drag Race alum Honey Mahoganywho currently holds a vice-chair seat in her local County Central Committeeannounced that she will be seeking the role of chair of the San Francisco Democratic Party when current Party Chair ...