WINDY CITY TIMES
||National AIDS Memorial releases 'The Black Community & AIDS'
This article shared 603 times since Fri Sep 23, 2022
The National AIDS Memorial has released its latest mini-documentary, "The Black Community & AIDS," the seventh film in its oral history project.
"The Black Community & AIDS" chronicles the personal stories of nearly two dozen survivors and advocates from across the country who are thriving, sharing their hopes and struggles about the HIV/AIDS epidemic and its disproportionate impact on the Black community.
The film opens with words from Phill Wilson, founder of the Black AIDS Institute, who says, "My grandmother used to say, 'When white people get a cold, Black people get pneumonia.' And so I thought … if white people are getting the plague, what in the hell are we going to get?"
The 17-minute film can be viewed at www.aidsmemorial.org/surviving-voices and on the Memorial's YouTube channel.
In addition to the mini-documentary, viewers can watch individual interview segments which provide candid, deeper conversations with the film participants.
Prior to its official release, "The Black Community & AIDS" was exclusively featured at several major film festivals and HIV/AIDS events throughout the country, including Frameline, SF Queer Film Fest, New York City Black Pride, Positive Living Conference, and Atlanta Black Pride. The film was recognized for its powerful storytelling, including being honored with the prestigious Jury Award at SF Queer Film Fest. The film will also be shown as part of the National AIDS Memorial Change the Pattern initiative that is partnering with Southern AIDS Coalition and Gilead Sciences to bring the AIDS Memorial Quilt to the South as a teaching tool with Quilt displays and programming to reimagine the fight to end HIV.
Created in 2015, this multi-year AIDS oral history project helps ensure that stories and lessons of the epidemic are captured, curated, and retained for future generations. Additional featured films include "Substance Users, the Recovery Community & AIDS", "The Transgender Community & AIDS," "The A&PI Community & AIDS," "Women & AIDS," "The National Hemophilia Community & AIDS" and "The San Francisco Leather Community & AIDS."
This article shared 603 times since Fri Sep 23, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Art and Pep' documents the accomplishments by and love between Chicago activists 2022-12-08|
- While giving a speech at a party early in the new documentary Art and Pep, activist and Sidetrack co-owner Arthur Johnston says, "The only ones we gay people can rely on is each other." Art and ...
|Filmmaker reworks locally-produced holiday film Scrooge & Marley for upcoming stage reading 2022-12-07|
- It's been 10 years since Chicago writer/musician/perfomer Richard Knight, Jr. co-directed and co-wrote the LGBTQ+ holiday film Scrooge & Marley. "One of the most memorable nights of my life was the premiere at the Music Box, ...
|Actor Colby Minifie portrays an unfamiliar 'Homebody' in new film 2022-12-07|
- Actor Colby Minifie inhabits a whole new 'Homebody' in new film By Matt Simonette The new film Homebody, featuring actor Colby Minifie (The Boys, Jessica Jones) and helmed by gay director Joseph Sackett, initially seems to ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bros,' awards, Bjork, video-game love story, 'White Lotus' 2022-12-04|
- The gay rom-com film Bros started streaming on Peacock on Dec. 2, Out noted. Written by Billy Eichner and Nicholas Stoller (and directed by the latter), Bros was produced by Judd Apatow and starred Eichner along with an all-LGBTQ+ ...
|Billy Porter receives star on Hollywood Walk of Fame 2022-12-02|
- On Dec. 1, award-winning actor/director/singer/playwright Billy Porter received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. "I'm just so blessed and so grateful to be here," he said, according to KTLA. "James Baldwin said, 'It's an ...
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Leslie Jordan, Joel Kim Booster, Janelle Monae 2022-11-27|
- Elton John gave Los Angeles concluded a three-show run on Nov. 20 back inside Dodger Stadium, taking a final bow as part of his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The concert ...
|SHOWBIZ Grammy nominees, Gabrielle Union, Trevor Noah, Brendan Fraser 2022-11-20|
- Out Magazine compiled a list of some of the 2023 LGBTQA+ Grammy nominees. Among those on the list were Brandi Carlile (who earned another seven Grammy nominations this year, raising her career total to 25), Lady ...
|Hong Kong lesbian romance premieres at local film festival 2022-11-14|
- Hong Kong Lesbian Romance Premieres At Film Festival by Vernon Hester �As part of the semi-annual Asian Pop-Up Cinema Film Festival, which ran from September 10 through November 6, The First Girl I Loved had its ...
|Filmmaker Elegance Bratton reflects on The Inspection 2022-11-14|
- Gay writer and director Elegance Bratton has come a long way after growing up in New Jersey and being unhoused for 10 years. He eventually joined the Marine Corps, which led to his becoming the filmmaker ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer channel, gay actor dies, Jeopardy!, Luke and Chris Evans 2022-11-13|
- Fuse Media—a Latino-owned, multiplatform entertainment company—announced that in partnership with OUTtv, it is expanding its suite of DEI FAST channels with the launch of the channel OUTtv Proud, per a press release. Set for a 2023 ...
|SHOWBIZ Gay racer, GALECA, Lena Waithe, 'Chicago,' LGBTQ+ films 2022-11-06|
- Gay motorsports racer Zach Herrin made his long-awaited debut in a NASCAR-affiliated race in Phoenix, The Advocate noted. "I know I have a lot of eyes on me, and all I want to do is get out there and blur everything ...
|Actress Rebel Wilson gets engaged, announces birth of first child [UPDATE] 2022-11-05|
- Actress Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) is engaged to girlfriend Ramona Agruma after dating for seven months, according to Page Six. ...
|SHOWBIZ Nathan Lane, gala, Beyonce, Kevin Aviance, Henry Cavill, Shania 2022-10-30|
Video below - Nathan Lane is returning to Broadway this winter to star in the debut run of Pictures of Home, per The Hollywood Reporter. Based on the photo memoir by Larry Sultan of the same name and adapted ...
|WORLD World Cup, Ukraine president, purge survivors, Eddie Izzard 2022-10-30|
- Fahad bin Mohammed Al-Attiyah, Qatar's ambassador to the UK, said LGBTQ+ couples visiting the country for the World Cup can "hold hands" but should be mindful of "public displays of affection," according to PinkNews. He told ...
|Sheryl Lee Ralph producing HIV/AIDS documentary 2022-10-29|
- Recent Emmy winner Sheryl Lee Ralph has signed on to produce Unexpected, a documentary short about women of color living with HIV in the South, Variety reported. Directed by Zeberiah Newman, the film will chronicle Masonia ...