WINDY CITY TIMES
||NU LGBTQ health talks Feb. 15, 21
This article shared 576 times since Tue Feb 13, 2018
Northwestern University will continue its Current Issues in LGBTQ Health series on Feb. 15 and 21.
Dr. Jennifer Brier will give the talk, "How to Have History in an Epidemic: Can History Make You Healthy?" on Thursday, Feb. 15, 12-1:30 p.m. in room 1-515 of Northwestern's Kresge Hall, 1880 Campus Dr. The Chabraja Center for Historical Studies and the Sexualities Project at Northwestern ( SPAN ) are sponsoring the talk. ( This lecture will also be available to be streamed remotely, using BlueJeans. )
On Wed., Feb. 21, the Institute for Sexual and Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing, with the Buffett Institute for Global Studies, will host E.J. Graff's talk, "How the amazingly awkward, ever-shifting LGBTQ acronym got foisted on youand why it won't go away any time soon." The event will take place 1:30-3 p.m. in the Stonewall Conference Room of 625 N. Michigan, room 1400.
RSVP, respectively, at isgmh.northwestern.edu/calendar_event/brier/ and isgmh.northwestern.edu/calendar_event/current-issues-in-lgbtq-health-featuring-e-j-graff/ .
This article shared 576 times since Tue Feb 13, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Study: Outcomes for children similar regardless of the LGBTQ+ identity of the children's parents 2023-03-10|
--From a press release - NEW YORK — This week a new report was released by BMJ Global Health examining outcomes between LGBTQ+ families and families headed by heterosexual couples. The report, a literature review and synthesis of dozens of academic ...
|NATIONAL Folx Health, gay mayor arrested, powerlifter's suit, Versace visit 2023-03-10|
- Boston-based Folx Healthwhich provides primary healthcare services and gender-affirming healthcare to LGBTQIA peoplemade Fast Company's list of the world's 50 most innovative businesses. A few of the other healthcare companies ...
|Minn. governor signs order protecting gender-affirming healthcare 2023-03-10|
- At a time when so many political officials seem to be backing anti-LGBTQ+ measures, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is doing just the opposite. On March 8, Walz signed an executive order protecting the rights of LGBTQ+ ...
|Study examines straight men and their sexual attraction to transgender women 2023-03-09|
--From a press release - An analysis of online Reddit conversations also revealed a paradox: the same men devalue both trans and cisgender women Some straight men said they sexually desire transgender women because of the women's supposed hyper-feminine traits. Brandon ...
|Billy Masters: Raunchier Uncoupled on the rebound with Showtime 2023-03-06|
- "I never liked when she did this in concerts either. I don't like when females are overly sexualized in art. It degrades and objectivy's [sic] women in a way that's not healthy." TJ Jackson on reports ...
|LGBTQ+ groups criticize Tenn. bill that bans access to medical care for trans youth 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - NASHVILLE — On March 2, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee signed into law HB1/SB1, a bill that prohibits transgender-related healthcare in Tennessee for people under the age of 18. The bill is set to take effect on ...
|Raoul, IDHR issue guidance on protections against bias related to pregnancy, reproductive health 2023-03-02|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) today released a guide on the state's protections against discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth, and ...
|Tennessee to ban drag shows; governor asked about '77 drag photo 2023-02-28|
- Tennessee will ban some drag performances as well as gender-affirming healthcare for trans minors after state House lawmakers sent both bills to Republican Gov. Bill Lee to sign, The Hill reported. Republican state Senate Majority Leader ...
|WORLD Prison HIV study, trans soldier injured, Bollywood, British LGBT Awards 2023-02-24|
- In Zambia, a high uptake of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is possible in prison populations that have adequate resources and support from the criminal-justice health system, according to an AJMC (The American Journal of Managed Care) ...
|WORLD Japanese poll, Sydney Mardi Gras, mpox, rugby study, soccer player 2023-02-19|
- Sixty-four percent of respondents to a Kyodo News poll believe same-sex marriage should be recognized in Japan, the media outlet noted. In the telephone survey, 88.4% also said recent remarks hostile to LGBTQ+ people by a ...
|Gov. Pritzker Proposes $5M cut to state HIV funding 2023-02-17|
--From a press release - Feb. 16, 2023—Speaking before a joint session of the Illinois General Assembly for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor JB Pritzker delivered his annual State of the State and Budget address ...
|Federal Bureau of Prisons provides bureau's first gender affirming surgery to Donna Langan 2023-02-16|
--From a press release - Carswell, TX - Transgender prisoner Donna Langan is ready to announce that she is gratefully recovering from the first gender confirming surgery (GCS) ever performed on a prisoner held in a US Federal Prison. Ms. Langan, ...