WINDY CITY TIMES
||NBJC releases statement on National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
This article shared 1137 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
In honor of National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day ( Sept. 27 ), the National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) released a statement:
"Today is a day to celebrate that HIV is no longer the death sentence it once was, thanks to the effective HIV medication made possible by the tireless organizing of queer folks in the 1980s and 1990s," said National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) Executive Director David Johns. "However, it's also a time to call out the fact that Black people today account for 43 percent of all HIV infections, despite only representing 12 percent of the U.S. population.
"We need to reject the notion that an HIV diagnosis is something to be ashamed of, and invite our loved ones into the important conversation around how to manage and control this virus. We need for elected officials to champion the needs of Black people living with HIV or at risk of contracting the virus, including by holding pharmaceutical companies, health insurance executives, and providers accountable for their role in creating and continuing racialized health inequities.
"It's time for all of us to challenge the continued shame and stigma around HIV. We need to create space for those thriving with HIV to share their stories, and to encourage openness about the steps folks take to protect themselves from the virus.
"Having the education, communication tools, medically accurate information, and access we need around HIV/AIDs awareness is an essential part of the ability of Black queer, trans, and non-binary people to flourish as our full, beautiful selves."
This article shared 1137 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AIDS Foundation Chicago, Cook County Health mark World AIDS Day 2020-11-30|
--From a press release - AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) and Cook County Health are collaborating for a special virtual event in honor of World AIDS Day, a global movement to increase public awareness and dialogue about HIV and AIDS, on Dec. ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|Congressional co-chairs introduce World AIDS Day resolution
- U.S. Reps. Barbara Lee (CA-13) and Rep. Jenniffer Gonzalez Colon (PR-At Large), co-chairs of the Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus, introduced a bipartisan resolution supporting the goals of World AIDS Day, according ...
|Gov. Pritzker, Vanessa Williams to be at AFC's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-11-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) marks its milestone 35th year of service with 'Gala35,' a virtual celebration and fundraiser taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. The event features an esteemed panel of guest ...
|Advocate Craig Johnson named next board chair of AIDS Foundation of Chicago
- In October, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC)'s board of directors voted Craig W. Johnson as the next AFC board chair. Craig has served on the board since 2017, and most recently worked as board vice chair and ...
|AIDS Foundation of Chicago's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-10-25|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC's) "Gala35"marking its 35th anniversarywill be a virtual event taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. Gala35 marks the organization's 35th year of service and will be its premier gatheri ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...
|TPAN names Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO
- TPAN has announced the hiring of Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO to assist in empowering the organization to continue to provide care and far-reaching education to people affected by HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and all related issues, ...
|Nat'l AIDS Memorial to launch 50-state AIDS Memorial Quilt Virtual Exhibition 2020-10-09|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (October 9, 2020) — The National AIDS Memorial is announcing a virtual exhibition of the AIDS Memorial Quilt (the Quilt) that will feature more than 10,000 Quilt panels representing all 50 state and U.S. ...
|PASSAGES Timothy Ray Brown, who was cured of HIV, dies of cancer at 54
- After a five-month battle with leukemia, Timothy Ray Brownpublicized as the first known person to be cured of HIV, and also known by many as "The Berlin Patient"has died of cancer, according to the International AIDS ...
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns with reformatted 2020 event 2020-09-24|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago has been reformatted and expanded so community members can participate in the fundraiser while still social-distancing and adhering to public-safety guidelines. While an event at Soldier ...
|Chicago House moves central hub 2020-09-03|
- Chicago Housefounded in September 1985 as an organization committed to providing a home to individuals dying of HIVhas relocated its central hub to the South Loop, at 2229 S. Michigan Ave., Ste. 304. The central hub ...
|WORLD Tom of Finland, India items, Denmark legislation, PrEP study 2020-09-02|
- The works of the iconic Finnish artist Tom of Finland will be exhibited in Japan for the first time ever, a press release noted. The exhibition is the result of a collaboration between the Finnish Institute ...
|Open House Chicago taking place Oct. 16-25 2020-08-18|
- The Chicago Architecture Center (CAC) announced the return of Open House Chicago (OHC) for a 10th consecutive year. It will take place Oct. 16-25, and the festival has been reconfigured for both in-person and remote attendance. ...
|NATIONAL Streisand/Summer, HIV treatment, Alex Morse, Barney Frank 2020-08-18|
- MeidasTouch, a progressive Democratic political action group, teamed with the LGBTQ voting initiative Vote Proud for their latest video, titled "Enough Is Enough," Billboard noted. The video focuses on rallying queer people to vote by pointing ...