WINDY CITY TIMES
||NBJC releases statement on National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
This article shared 2023 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
In honor of National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day ( Sept. 27 ), the National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) released a statement:
"Today is a day to celebrate that HIV is no longer the death sentence it once was, thanks to the effective HIV medication made possible by the tireless organizing of queer folks in the 1980s and 1990s," said National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) Executive Director David Johns. "However, it's also a time to call out the fact that Black people today account for 43 percent of all HIV infections, despite only representing 12 percent of the U.S. population.
"We need to reject the notion that an HIV diagnosis is something to be ashamed of, and invite our loved ones into the important conversation around how to manage and control this virus. We need for elected officials to champion the needs of Black people living with HIV or at risk of contracting the virus, including by holding pharmaceutical companies, health insurance executives, and providers accountable for their role in creating and continuing racialized health inequities.
"It's time for all of us to challenge the continued shame and stigma around HIV. We need to create space for those thriving with HIV to share their stories, and to encourage openness about the steps folks take to protect themselves from the virus.
"Having the education, communication tools, medically accurate information, and access we need around HIV/AIDs awareness is an essential part of the ability of Black queer, trans, and non-binary people to flourish as our full, beautiful selves."
This article shared 2023 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Indian commission, queer royals, MTV, Putin, attack in Jamaica 2021-10-24|
- India's National Medical Commission has ordered publishers and medical schools to edit their textbooks and curricula to exclude discriminatory and unscientific portrayals of LGBTI people, according to Human Rights Watch. ...
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk raises more than $400K 2021-10-06|
- CHICAGO — More than 1,800 advocates, community partners, runners, walkers, volunteers, staff members and more gathered at Soldier Field on Oct. 2 for the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago. The event raised approximately $420,000 ...
|Illinois HIV Care Connect launches HIV Innovation campaign 2021-10-05|
- On Oct. 5, Illinois HIV Care Connect launched its HIV Innovation web and social-media campaign, showcasing several Illinois HIV initiatives that are helping to prevent or treat HIV more effectively. Articles about five initiatives so far ...
|NATIONAL Black AIDS Institute, non-binary person attacked, Rachel Maddow 2021-10-03|
- The board of directors of the Black AIDS Institute (BAI) announced the appointments of Toni Newman as its interim chief executive officer and Dr. Kemal M. Atkins as managing director, a press release noted. In addition, ...
|AIDS Run & Walk celebrates 30 years with annual event 2021-10-03|
- Following a year where AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) held its annual AIDS Run & Walk fundraiser virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event returned to Soldier Field on Oct. 2 with the theme "Forward ...
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...