WINDY CITY TIMES
||NBJC releases statement on National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
This article shared 2100 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
In honor of National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day ( Sept. 27 ), the National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) released a statement:
"Today is a day to celebrate that HIV is no longer the death sentence it once was, thanks to the effective HIV medication made possible by the tireless organizing of queer folks in the 1980s and 1990s," said National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) Executive Director David Johns. "However, it's also a time to call out the fact that Black people today account for 43 percent of all HIV infections, despite only representing 12 percent of the U.S. population.
"We need to reject the notion that an HIV diagnosis is something to be ashamed of, and invite our loved ones into the important conversation around how to manage and control this virus. We need for elected officials to champion the needs of Black people living with HIV or at risk of contracting the virus, including by holding pharmaceutical companies, health insurance executives, and providers accountable for their role in creating and continuing racialized health inequities.
"It's time for all of us to challenge the continued shame and stigma around HIV. We need to create space for those thriving with HIV to share their stories, and to encourage openness about the steps folks take to protect themselves from the virus.
"Having the education, communication tools, medically accurate information, and access we need around HIV/AIDs awareness is an essential part of the ability of Black queer, trans, and non-binary people to flourish as our full, beautiful selves."
This article shared 2100 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AIDS Garden Chicago supporters, CDPH official commemorate World AIDS Day with event 2021-12-01|
- AIDS Garden Chicago supporters and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) commemorated the 34th annual World AIDS Day on Dec. 1 at the Belmont Yacht Club with a sneak preview of the garden. The 2.5-acre ...
|Five Worth Finding: World AIDS Day, 'Benedetta,' books, wine in a can 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day event at Belmont Harbor: The Chicago Parks Foundation will hold a World AIDS Day event on Dec. 1, 9-10:30 a.m., at the Belmont Harbor Yacht Club. Antonio King, LGBTQ health and outreach liaison ...
|World AIDS Day events on tap 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day takes place every year on Dec. 1. During this yearwhich marks the 40th anniversary since HIV was officially discoveredhere are some of the events taking place (locally, regionally and nationally) on, before and ...
|AFC commemorates passing of the HIV decriminalization law with World AIDS Day event Dec. 1 2021-11-24|
--From a press release - The World AIDS Day Community Celebration of the Historic Passage of HB1063, which ended criminal penalties against people living with HIV, will be hosted by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC). It will also commemorate World AIDS Day ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago awards grants to Black- and Latinx-led organizations 2021-11-12|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has awarded eight grantstotaling $72,000to BIPOC-led organizations working to address the HIV/AIDS crisis in Black and Latinx neighborhoods across Chicago. The grants came from AFC's Learning ...
|National AIDS Memorial to hold World AIDS Day national events Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 2021-11-10|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 9, 2021) — On December 1, the National AIDS Memorial brings three powerful programs to the public for World AIDS Day that offer inspiration, hope, remembrance, and reflection. The programming, free to the ...
|Secretary Becerra visits Humboldt Park, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-11-09|
- On Nov. 8, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra traveled to sites in Chicago to highlight Biden-Harris administration's plans to build back better through investments in maternal health, the Affordable Ca ...
|LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic 2021-10-29|
- As part of its COVID-19 Grand Rounds series, AIDS Foundation Chicago hosted an Oct. 26 panel featuring LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers sharing how the pandemic has impacted their personal and professional lives. Panelists included Howard Brown ...
|WORLD Indian commission, queer royals, MTV, Putin, attack in Jamaica 2021-10-24|
- India's National Medical Commission has ordered publishers and medical schools to edit their textbooks and curricula to exclude discriminatory and unscientific portrayals of LGBTI people, according to Human Rights Watch. ...
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk raises more than $400K 2021-10-06|
- CHICAGO — More than 1,800 advocates, community partners, runners, walkers, volunteers, staff members and more gathered at Soldier Field on Oct. 2 for the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago. The event raised approximately $420,000 ...
|Illinois HIV Care Connect launches HIV Innovation campaign 2021-10-05|
- On Oct. 5, Illinois HIV Care Connect launched its HIV Innovation web and social-media campaign, showcasing several Illinois HIV initiatives that are helping to prevent or treat HIV more effectively. Articles about five initiatives so far ...
|NATIONAL Black AIDS Institute, non-binary person attacked, Rachel Maddow 2021-10-03|
- The board of directors of the Black AIDS Institute (BAI) announced the appointments of Toni Newman as its interim chief executive officer and Dr. Kemal M. Atkins as managing director, a press release noted. In addition, ...
|AIDS Run & Walk celebrates 30 years with annual event 2021-10-03|
- Following a year where AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) held its annual AIDS Run & Walk fundraiser virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event returned to Soldier Field on Oct. 2 with the theme "Forward ...
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...