WINDY CITY TIMES
by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 1124 times since Wed Oct 17, 2001
The following films of queer interest are playing at the Chicago International Film Festival in its final week: The Human Comedy: 10.17 - 7:15 @ Music Box The Iron Ladies: 10.17 - 9 p.m. @ Landmark Century Truly Human: 10.16 - 6:30 p.m. @ Landmark Century / 10.17 - 7:00 p.m. @ Landmark Century
In theaters -
Bandits ( MGM/Hyde Park Entertainment ) : What appears to be one "last big heist" gone awry turns out to be something else entirely in this old-fashioned Hollywood comedy that serves as a comeback for director Barry Levinson and actor Billy Bob Thornton. After an unplanned prison break, hyper-hypochondriac Terry Collins ( Thornton ) and fellow-escapee Joe Blake ( Bruce Willis ) find themselves on the lam with no money and nowhere to go. The resourceful Blake stages an impromptu bank robbery, with Collins as an accomplice. Soon the duo has earned themselves a reputation and a following that goes beyond just law enforcement officials. When an off-kilter and unhappily married woman named Kate ( Cate Blanchett ) enters the picture, she drives a wedge between the bank-robbing buddies and the canvas begins to slowly unravel. A comical and sexy supporting performance by Troy Garrity ( son of Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden ) as Terry's special effects-obsessed stunt-man-wannabe cousin Harvey adds to the fun. Blanchett is a natural comedian and Thornton gives his best performance since Sling Blade. On a scale of 1 to 10: 7.5
Mulholland Drive ( Universal ) : Before it veers off the road and becomes a lurid and lascivious ( David ) Lynchian lesbian sex fantasy, Mulholland Drive is a bizarre and refreshing tribute to and parody of film noir and the young innocent's arrival in Hollywood. Lampooning Hollywood ( actors and actresses, directors, movie studios ) is a little like biting the hand that feeds, but it must have tasted awfully good. In addition to all of the fresh faces on-screen—Justin Theroux as filmmaker Adam, Naomi Watts as just-off-the-bus Betty, and Laura Harring as the mysterious mystery woman Rita—writer/director Lynch serves up a heaping portion of Ann Miller as, alternately, Betty's landlady and Adam's mother, looking like she's ready for her close-up. Just when you think that the mysteries of Mulholland Drive have been solved, Lynch throws in a lesbian landslide and opens a Pandora's Box that may leave you more puzzled than pleased. On a scale of 1 to 10: 7.5
On TV ( www.sundancechannel.com ) : A Union In Wait: Susan Parker and Wendy Scott are a lesbian couple who had been together in a loving relationship for 16 years when they decided to have a holy union ceremony at the Baptist church in North Carolina to which they belonged. This personal and revealing documentary, directed by Ryan Butler, about the controversy that erupted over their plans for a commitment ceremony is a fascinating look into the explosive debate over same-sex unions. The documentary ends with Susan and Wendy's long-awaited ceremony at the Wake Forest Baptist Church and will delight anyone who loves to cry at weddings. On scale of 1 to 10: 7.
This article shared 1124 times since Wed Oct 17, 2001
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Firebird' opens Reeling Chicago LGBTQ+ Internat'l Film Fest tonight 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois — Tonight, the 39th annual Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival invites audiences to enjoy an in-person pre-party and theater screening of 'Firebird' for Opening Night at the Music Box Theater. Director P ...
|REVIEWS: Movies of Reeling 2021 2021-09-22|
- Reeling: The 39th Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival will take place Friday, Sept. 23-Thursday, Oct. 7. After a virtual edition in 2020, Reeling returns with in-person screenings this year, kicking off with the Estonian romantic drama ...
|MOVIES 'Shang-Chi' actor in anti-gay controversy 2021-09-20|
- Actor Simu Liuthe star of the latest Marvel action movie Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Ringsis embroiled in controversy over alleged Reddit comments he made about how pedophilia is "no different from being gay," ...
|FILM REVIEW Chastain mesmerizes in 'Tammy Faye,' but bio offers few surprises 2021-09-20|
- Televangelists featured in some of the of the most spectacular falls from grace in the '80s. Television preachers who'd spent the better part of the '70s and the '80s insinuating themselves into pocketbooks, not to mention ...
|8th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival on Nov. 5-7 2021-09-17|
- The 8th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival (BAFF) will take place Nov. 5-7 at the University of Chicago's Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St. One of the longest running Black ...
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|THEATER Out actor Dan Butler to be in 'When Harry Met Rehab' 2021-09-15|
- Don Clark, a Chicago-based film/theater producer as well as co-owner of the Chicago Magic Lounge, will present the world premiere of When Harry Met Rehaba comedy that takes sobriety seriously and is based loosely on the ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Boy Meets Boy,' Jennifer Hudson, 'SVU,' tennis honor, ABBA 2021-09-12|
- Ariztical Entertainment is releasing the German movie Boy Meets Boy on DVD and VOD on Oct. 26. According to a press release, the plot of the 70-minute movie is as follows: "Harry has been partying for ...
|MOVES Talking about 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' 2021-09-08|
- The new movie Everybody's Talking About Jamie tells the inspiring story of Jamie New, a young drag artist who overcomes hardship and homophobia in Sheffield, England. Out actor Max Harwood stars as New, who gets by ...
|Survivor shares the story of trauma and thriving in 'Untold' 2021-09-07|
- WARNING: This article contains material of a graphic nature. Gina M. Garcia is finally sharing her story of thriving after trauma in her new docu-drama biography, Untold: This is My Story, which premieres Sept. 6 at ...
|MOVIES Fall films harvest famous names for LGBTQ+ stories 2021-09-01|
- The film industry is featuring world-renowned names like Lady Gaga, Truman Capote and Tammy Faye on the big screen this fall season. Award-winning musicals, true-life stories and far-out fiction are all part of the fun in ...
|MOVIES 'On Broadway' to open Sept. 10 in Highland Park 2021-09-01|
- As theatergoers prepare for the return of Broadway after an unprecedented absence of 18 months, Kino Lorber is releasing Academy Award nominee Oren Jacoby's documentary On Broadway. The tribute to one of the most vibrant ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, 'Death Drop,' Brandi Carlile, vintage films, Gaga 2021-08-29|
- Billy Porter will direct a queer teen comedy feature titled To Be Real for Amazon Studios, which is being helmed by Gabrielle Union's I'll Have Another Productions, NME.com noted. Porter, who is currently working on his ...
|EVENTS Celebrity attendees named for Wizard World Chicago 2021-08-28|
- William Shatner (Star Trek; TV's Boston Legal), Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy, TV's The Walking Dead), Matthew Lewis (All Creatures Great and Small), James Marsters (TV series Buffy the ...
|TV Netflix animated series 'Chicago Party Aunt' debuts Sept. 17 2021-08-27|
- The LGBTQ-inclusive series Chicago Party Aunt will debut on Netflix on Friday, Sept. 17. Inspired by the popular Twitter account Chicago Party Aunt, this eight-episode adult animated comedy follows Diane Dunbrowski and nephew Daniel as they ...