WINDY CITY TIMES
||More Black Pride: Poetry Slam
This article shared 6242 times since Wed Jul 9, 2003
C.C. Carter's annual Black Pride Weekend Poetry Slam, sponsored by Northern Trust, was even better than 2002—if that's possible.
Twenty contestants wowed the crowd through two rounds of competition, with judges including last year's winner T'ai Freedom Ford,
Duriel E. Harris, Paula Gee, Avery and Jackie Anderson. Earlier in the week, Def Poetry on Broadway star Staceyann Chin made a
special guest appearance at C.C.'s weekly Leo's Den Pow Wow. And to top it off, C.C. released a special CD last weekend, The Best
of Pow-Wow Wednesdays, featuring Chin, Ford, Harris, and many others. The surprise winner of the slam was 16-year-old Perre
Shelton of Thornton Fractional North High School in south suburban Calumet City. He knocked the socks off the jam-packed
audience of hundreds of poetry lovers. Second place was E. Nina Jay, bettering her fourth-place finish last year, and third was
Photos by Tracy Baim
This article shared 6242 times since Wed Jul 9, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago native named as state's fifth poet laureate 2020-11-25|
- Illinois First Lady MK Pritzker announced Angela Jackson as the next poet laureate for the state. Jackson, a Chicago native, is the fifth Illinoisan to hold the title, an honorary position selected by a committee of ...
Trans singer Kyler O'Neal debuts music video, talks poetry 2020-09-01|
- Kyler O'Neal is a transgender contemporary, folk artist. She officially released her debut music video for her single Satan's Tears on Sept. 1, and that is currently available for streaming on YouTube and Vimeo. Windy City ...
|'One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives' Aug. 18 2020-08-13|
- On Tuesday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., the Poetry Coalitiona network of 25+ literary organizations that includes Lambda Literary and Young Chicago Authorswill present "One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives." In this ...
|BOOKS Yvonne Zipter: Looking at Chicagoan's life, poetry collection 2020-08-05|
- Writer Yvonne Zipter nurtures nature and other ideas in her new book of poetry Kissing the Long Face of the Greyhound. Zipter grew up in Milwaukee and lived there until she was 24. She earned a ...
|The Queer Landscape, Chicago Danztheatre presents performance on LGBTQ+ identity 2020-01-14|
- CHICAGO (January 6th, 2020) - Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble is pleased to announce the third installment of its 2019-20 Art & Activism Performance Series, THE QUEER LANDSCAPE, an evening of live performance, art, and poetry centered around ...
|Trans Day of Resilience Art, Poetry Uplift Black Trans Power and Liberation
- November 20, 2019 Ten trans and non-binary visual artists and poets of color from across the country, including Chicagoan Benji Hart, have collaborated to honor Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) by creating original artwork to ...
|South Side Open Mic, Writing Workshop Series planned for survivors of sexual harm 2019-09-04|
- Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation is producing two south side programs for survivors of sexual harm. The monthly writing workshop and the monthly open mic are intended to give survivors a brave space to work on ...
|Gene Siskel Film Center to present Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am Aug. 23-29 2019-08-06|
- As a venue that celebrates all art forms and a public program of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, the Gene Siskel Film Center mourns the loss of the celebrated Black author and Nobel ...
|Author Toni Morrison dies at 88 2019-08-06|
- Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison has died at 88. Morrison was the first Black woman to receive the Nobel literature prize, awarded in 1993. Her novel Belovedin which a mother, Margaret, makes a tragic choice to ...
|BOOK REVIEW On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous 2019-07-23|
- Book by Ocean Vuong. $26; Penguin Press; 256 pages One quote on author Ocean Vuong's website refers to him as "the Walt Whitman of Vietnamese-American literature." Vuong's poetry collection, Night Sky with Exit Wounds, was a ...
|Poetry block party July 27 in Pilsen 2019-07-22|
- The Chicago Poetry Block Party (CPBP)a free, all-ages celebration of poetry, music and creativityreturns to the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th St. on Saturday, July 27, 3-8 p.m. Presented by the Poetry Foundation ...
|POETRY e nina jay aims to help women shed shame 2019-06-26|
- e nina jay wants women to stop feeling shame. "I think about how much we, as girls and women, waste being ashamed," the Black lesbian poet said via phone. "How many conversations don't happen and how ...
|Artist fuses video, poetry to inspire psychedelic experience 2019-06-23|
- Poet, new media and sound artist Sara Naomi Goodman will perform "Deep Dream: An Evening of Poetry and Video Synthesis" followed by a Q&A at Slate Arts and Performance Tuesday, June 25. The piece combines a ...
|Pride poetry-slam competition June 12 2019-05-22|
- In honor of Chicago's Pride Month, The Blackstone, Center on Halsted and StoryStudio Chicago invite the community to celebrate all things love this June during a slam poetry competition on Wed., June 12. The event will ...
|The Publishing Triangle's 31st Annual Triangle Awards 2019-04-26|
- April 25, 2019The 31st annual Triangle Awards, honoring the best LGBTQ fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and trans literature published in 2018, were presented this evening at the New School's Auditorium (66 West 12 Street, New York City) ...