WINDY CITY TIMES
||Milwaukee 'butter burger' restaurant among James Beard Foundation honorees
This article shared 609 times since Wed Feb 16, 2022
The James Beard Foundation announced the six recipients of its 2022 America's Classics Award.
A Restaurant and Chef Awards category, the America's Classics Award is given to locally owned restaurants that have timeless appeal and are beloved regionally for quality food that reflects the character of its community.
Among the 2022 James Beard Foundation America's Classics Award winners is the Milwaukee establishment Solly's Grille, best known for its butter burger. Created in 1936 by Kenneth "Solly" Salmon, this sandwich features ground sirloin with stewed onions with the crowning glory of farm-fresh Wisconsin butter that overflows onto the plateand the restaurant reportedly uses 130 pounds of butter each week.
Other recipients include Casa Vega, of Sherman Oaks, California; Corinne's Place, of Camden, New Jersey; Wo Hop, of NYC: The Busy Bee Cafe, of Atlanta; and Florence's Restaurant, of Oklahoma City.
They will be celebrated at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards ceremony on Monday, June 13, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
This article shared 609 times since Wed Feb 16, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SAVOR Coco Pazzo: Lunch at a longtime Italian favorite 2022-05-13|
- The River North spot Coco Pazzo, 300 W. Hubbard St., is one of those spots I've always wanted to visit. I had heard some people rave about the restaurant but, for some reason, I never got around to visiting this Tuscan ...
|Queer college salutatorian plans to help community through food 2022-05-10|
- Back in March, Jose Cueva got an unexpected phone call from the president of Kennedy-King College: Cueva's perfect 4.0 GPA meant he would be graduating as salutatorian. "I was in shock; I wasn't expecting that," Cueva ...
|SAVOR Cafe Sophie: Chef Grant talks about his European getaway in the Gold Coast 2022-05-06|
- Chef Danny Grant wants to take Chicagoans (and visitors) to Europe—via his latest spot, Cafe Sophie, which opened April 14. Named after Grant's aunt, Cafe Sophie (a 2,500-square-foot space at 847 N. State St., in the ...
|Two Whole Foods stores to close; Lightfoot, Hunter respond 2022-04-30|
- Whole Foods is closing two Chicago storesincluding one it opened on the South Side six years ago amid promises to end the food desert in that area, Block Club Chicago reported. The Englewood spot and a ...
|Chicago part of Taco Bell Drag Brunch tour 2022-04-29|
- Starting next month, Taco Bell is launching the Taco Bell Drag Bruncha five-stop restaurant tour that aims to celebrate drag culture and the LGBTQ+ community, Food and Wine noted. Taking place at five Taco Bell Cantina ...
|The Andersonville Wine Walk returns for its 16th year on May 15 2022-04-23|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (April 21, 2022) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC), in partnership with In Fine Spirits, is pleased to welcome back its annual Andersonville Wine Walk, an afternoon of ...
|Andersonville Farmers Market returns May 11 - Oct. 19 2022-04-15|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (April 14, 2022) — The Andersonville Farmers Market (AFM) is pleased to return for its 13th season featuring 30 vendors on Wednesdays from 3 — 7 pm from May 11 — October 19, 2022 on ...
|First COVID breath test authorized 2022-04-15|
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized the first COVID-19 test that uses breath samples, according to NBC News. The InspectIR COVID-19 Breathalyzer test has to be done by a trained operator, but the FDA said ...
|Out LondonHouse Executive Chef Liz Sweeney talks industry, personal journey 2022-04-14|
- During a recent conversation with Windy City Times, LondonHouse Executive Chef Liz Sweeney revealed several aspects of herselfall coming together to show a complex and open individual. For example, she was quick to flash a smile ...
|LGBT POCs 3X more likely than white non-LGBTs to have faced food insufficiency during pandemic 2022-04-14|
-- From a press release - During the pandemic, an estimated 13% of LGBT adults in the U.S. reported not having enough to eat in the past week, compared to 8% of non-LGBT adults, according to a new report by the Williams ...
|SAVOR Michelin-starred restaurants; 'Study of Spring' 2022-04-06|
- Four Chicago restaurants were named first-time recipients of Michelin stars, according to The Chicago Tribune. Those spots are the French-inflected Claudia (with items like squid-ink madeleines), artsy restaurant Esme, the ...
|SAVOR The Lunchroom at SPACE 519: A chic cafe in Streeterville 2022-04-05|
- It turns out that some of the city's best dining spots are inside storesseriously. There are long-established places like The Walnut Room at Macy's, but there are many others, such as Eataly and Restoration Hardware's Eat: ...
|SAVOR The Kitchen American Bistro: Brunch by the river 2022-03-25|
- Brunch in Chicago has almost become an institution unto itself. Now that things are slowly returning to "normal," people are emerging from their homesand some are just starting to realize the potentially overwhelming number of brunch ...
|SAVOR Adorn: One of the best restaurants you'll hit this year 2022-03-22|
- In 2021, visiting Adorn Bar & Restaurant (in the Four Seasons, at 120 E. Delaware Pl.) were among the high points in what was a year of turbulence, to say the least. A recent visit, however, ...
|Nobody's Darling named James Beard Award finalist 2022-03-16|
- A month after being named a Chicago-area semifinalist for the 2022 James Beard Foundation Awards, the Black- and queer-owned spot Nobody's Darling has been named a finalist for Outstanding Bar Program. Nobody's Darling will compete against ...