WINDY CITY TIMES
||Mike Madigan picks second successor
This article shared 953 times since Fri Feb 26, 2021
On Feb. 25, Angelica Guerrero-Cuellar was sworn in as the new 22nd District state representative, media outlets reported.
Guerrero-Cuellar is the second person to succeed now-former Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan in less than a week. On Feb. 21, Edward Guerra Kodatt was sworn in; however, Madigan and Chicago Ald. Marty Quinn (13th Ward) asked him to step down due to unspecified "alleged inappropriate conduct." (Kodatt had worked for Quinn's office, but was also pressured to resign from that job, according to ABC7Chicago.com .)
Guerrero-Cuellar is a manager for Envision Community Services. According to Envision's Facebook page, it aims "to improve the quality of life in our community by empowering disenfranchised youth and low income population to become self sufficient through leadership development, education and workforce initiatives."
Guerrero-Cuellar had been nominated by 23rd Ward Ald. Sylvana Tabares.
This article shared 953 times since Fri Feb 26, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|FDA pushed to end discriminatory tissue donation policy 2021-11-30|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. — U.S Representatives Mike Quigley (D-IL), Joe Neguse (D-CO), David Cicilline (D-RI), and U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Michael Bennet (D-CO), and Elizabeth Warren ...
|State Rep. Greg Harris not seeking re-election 2021-11-29|
- Illinois state Rep. Greg Harristhe first openly gay and HIV-positive state leader in the General Assemblyannounced that he won't seek re-election and will leave the House when his term expires in early 2023, The Chicago Tribune ...
|Mike Simmons among LGBTQ Victory Fund-endorsed candidates 2021-11-29|
- Incumbent Illinois state Sen. Mike Simmons was among the political candidates that the LGBTQ Victory Fund backed in its latest round of endorsements. LGBTQ Victory Fundthe only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ+ leaders to public ...
|Oak Park-River Forest Chamber of Commerce elects first Black LGBTQ president in organization's history 2021-11-24|
- In November, the Oak Park-River Forest Chamber of Commerce elected Darien Marion-Burton to serve as the organization's first Black LGBTQ president. Marion-Burton will begin his role in January 2022 and said he's excited to bring a ...
|DuPage Democrat employee resigns after Wisconsin parade posts 2021-11-23|
- Mary Lemanski resigned from her role as social-media manager of the Democratic Party of DuPage County after being criticized for insensitive tweets she made about the parade tragedy in Waukesha, Wisconsin, according to NCTV17.com. In now-deleted ...
|WORLD HIV case, Ireland items, Kim Petras, actress' illness 2021-11-21|
- A woman in Argentina has become only the second documented person whose own immune system may have cured her of HIV, NBC News noted. Researchers have dubbed the 30-year-old mother, who was first diagnosed with HIV ...
|NATIONAL N.Y. governor, GLSEN report, flower shop, political items 2021-11-21|
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signed a pair of LGBTQ-related bills aimed at protecting sex-trafficking survivors as well as requiring utility and telephone companies to respect customers' preferred pronouns, The New York Post reported. One of ...
|DNC makes statement on Transgender Day of Remembrance 2021-11-20|
--From a Democratic National Committee press release - DNC Chair Jaime Harrison and DNC LGBTQ Caucus Chair Earl Fowlkes released the following statement to commemorate Transgender Day of Remembrance (Nov. 20): "This Transgender Day of Remembrance, we honor the lives lost due to anti-trans ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|COVID U.S. opens boosters for all adults 2021-11-20|
- On Nov. 19, the United States, through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), allowed COVID-19 booster shots for all adults and took the extra step of urging people 50 and older to seek one, ...
|Four LGBTQ leaders to be inducted into LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame 2021-11-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — LGBTQ Victory Institute announced it will induct four political leaders into the 2021 class of the LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame, which honors the LGBTQ elected officials, appointed officials and candidates who made ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...
|IL General Assembly LGBTQ Caucus condemns Proud Boys led censorship in Downers Grove 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - The five openly LGBTQ members of the Illinois General Assembly today call on Downers Grove District 99 to protect LGBTQ youth in their community from hate and censorship by immediately rejecting calls to censor ...
|Bishops approve paper that falls short of denying Communion to pro-choice Biden 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - On Nov. 17, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops voted overwhelmingly to approve a document that fell short of refusing Holy Communion to President Joe Biden or others who support abortion rights—something conservatives in the Church ...
|LGBTQ+ equality in nine Illinois municipalities detailed in Human Rights Campaign Index 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, in partnership with The ...