WINDY CITY TIMES
||Mike Madigan chooses successor
This article shared 845 times since Sun Feb 21, 2021
Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan said Feb. 21 he hasn't made a decision on how long he will continue as state Democratic Party chairman as he installed a 26-year-old constituent services worker as his successor for the Illinois House seat he vacated, The Chicago Tribune reported.
Madigan held 56% of the weighted vote cast in the 22nd House District, controlling the nominationand picked Edward Guerra Kodatt, a bilingual outreach and budget assistant in the constituent services office run by Madigan and 13th Ward Ald. Marty Quinn.
Kodattan Eastern Illinois University graduate who has worked on three Democratic legislative campaignswill earn $67,836 in accepting a post Madigan held 24 years before he was born.
It was the first time Madigan has been in public since the House vote and his resignation last week, although he continues as state Democratic Party chairman; that term expires in March 2022.
On Facebook, new House Speaker Emmanuel "Chris" Welch said, "Congratulations to the new State Representative of the 22nd District, Edward Guerra Kodatt. History has been made as he is the first new person to represent the district in 50 years, and the first Latino. Welcome to the General Assembly, Rep. Kodatt!"
This article shared 845 times since Sun Feb 21, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos to step down 2021-05-03|
- U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Illinois) announced she would retire from Congress after this term, Politico reported. Bustos had stepped down from leading the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee after shepherding the ...
|WORLD Caribbean group, hate crime, 'Queen of the Pacific,' volcano wedding 2021-05-02|
- A Caribbean advocacy group launched a fund to help LGBTQ people who have been impacted by the eruption of a volcano on the island of St. Vincent, The Washington Blade reported. The Eastern Caribbean Alliance for ...
|NATIONAL Black trans candidate, travel case, trans death, CEO fired 2021-05-02|
- RuPaul's Drag Race alum Honey Mahoganywho currently holds a vice-chair seat in her local County Central Committeeannounced that she will be seeking the role of chair of the San Francisco Democratic Party when current Party Chair ...
|Coalition of aldermen announces Chicago City Council's Democratic Socialist Caucus 2021-05-01|
- Chicago, Illinois (May 1, 2021) — Today, five aldermen announced the formal creation of the Democratic Socialist Caucus of the Chicago City Council. The founding members of the caucus - Aldermen Daniel La Spata (1), Jeanette ...
|Victory Institute launches LGBTQ political history website 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute — the only organization dedicated to identifying and supporting LGBTQ public leaders — released its new website "Pride & Progress: A history of LGBTQ political power in the United ...
|Former, current Chicago aldermen facing multiple charges 2021-04-29|
- On April 29, former 22nd Ward Ald. Ricardo Munoz was indicted on federal charges alleging he spent cash from a political fund he controlled on sports tickets, travel, meals and other personal expenses, The Chicago Tribune ...
|LGBTQ appointments in 100 days of Biden/Harris administration off to a historic start 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — One-hundred days into his presidency, President Joe Biden has appointed at least 200 known LGBTQ appointees to his administration, exponentially more than any other president at this point in their administration. Among them ...
|Mayor Lightfoot announces launch of Open Chicago 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot today announced the launch of Open Chicago, the latest initiative to safely and fully reopen the city. Open Chicago's initial programming will feature activated, re-imagined, and pop-up spaces for Chicago ...
|HRC celebrates advancements in LGBTQ rights over Pres. Biden's first 100 days 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today marks the 100th day of President Joseph R. Biden's presidency. In response, Alphonso David, President of the Human Rights Campaign, released the following statement celebrating the many steps the Biden Administration has ...
|National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund reacts to joint address by President Biden 2021-04-29|
- Statement from Kierra Johnson, ED, National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund: "Tonight, the President laid out a broad agenda that would improve the lives of diverse LGBTQ people in this country in so many ways, from ...
|Yet another governor signs anti-trans bill 2021-04-28|
- West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice signed a bill that bans transgender athletes from competing in female sports in middle and high schools and colleges, The Seattle Times noted. Bills seeking to ban transgender girls from competing ...
|Hate mail threatening Obamas, Biden, Harris sent to DuSable 2021-04-28|
- The Secret Service is investigating six threatening letters sent to the DuSable Museum of African American History that mention President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and the Obama family, among others, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|More than 400 major U.S. corporations register unprecedented support for Equality Act 2021-04-27|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. Today, the Business Coalition for the Equality Act (https://www.hrc.org/resources/business-coalition-for-equality) announced it has grown to include more than 400 major U.S. corporations (including dozens ...
|New Center for Applied Transgender Studies responds to trans misinformation 2021-04-27|
- Combatting bad information and promoting accurate education on transgender issues are the focuses at the Center for Applied Transgender Studies, which officially opened March 31. The independent, nonprofit, research organization ...
|AMA to states: Stop interfering in health care of transgender children 2021-04-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On April 26, the American Medical Association (AMA) urged governors to oppose state legislation that would prohibit medically necessary gender transition-related care minor patients, calling such efforts "a ...