by Lynell Stephani Long
This article shared 2777 times since Sun Aug 1, 2004
In the early 1990s, Leslie Feinberg wrote the book, Stone Butch Blues, which many people thought was a biography of Leslie's life. Although, if I recall, Leslie never agreed that the book was a biography, Leslie never denied it either. The same can be said about the book Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. Not that the book is a biography of the author's life but that the book, in all its honesty, could easily be a biography of some Intersexual's life.
Middlesex deals with the life of someone that was born Intersex. In this case the character Callie, or Cal, has an Intersex condition called 5-alpha-reductase deficiency syndrome, which caused Cal to be born with ambiguous genitalia. The interesting concept about this book is that the character was born Intersex because of being inbred. The grandparents were brother and sister, and the mother and father were cousins.
The reason Cal was born Intersex isn't important. There are numerous reasons one can be born Intersex, from pregnant mothers receiving an endocrine-disrupting drug diethylstilbestrol to prevent miscarriage, to nature creating an extra chromosome in the body of an innocent fetus. The point is the author could have used a number of reasons why Cal was born Intersex, but nothing makes for a good read like Greek siblings deciding to get married, and have sex, on their way to America.
What appealed to me most was the emotional turmoil Cal endured growing up. And when Cal was taken to a doctor for Cal's condition, immediately the doctor used Cal as a specimen to show other doctors—exactly what I endured growing up. There comes a time when the doctor suggests to Cal's parents that Cal (yes, I am intentionally avoiding the use of pronouns) have 'cosmetic' surgery to 'fix' the appearance of Cal's genitalia. They say they could remove Cal's enlarged clitoris, and if Cal loses sexual function as a result of the surgery then at least Cal would have normal 'appearing' genitalia.
Without giving away too much of the book, for it is an interesting read, I will say this: I applauded Cal's decision to run away from home, instead of allowing the doctors to perform unnecessary cosmetic surgery to remove Cal's enlarged clitoris!
The date is set; preparations have already begun around the USA and other parts of the world for the first annual Intersex Awareness Day. Between my preparations for Ms. World Leather contest, and spending time with my girlfriend in Green Bay, Wisc., I have already secured one sponsor for the event but still need another sponsor or two to host the event and cover any expenses.
As I write this column, July has just begun, Ms. World Leather contest is a month away, and October is approaching. I had hoped to secure another sponsor by now, just to ease my mind, but have failed to do so as of yet. So I am appealing to the LGBT community. My idea for Intersex Awareness Day in Chicago is to either do a presentation on Intersex and/or show the video Hermaphrodites Speaks!
While I have done many presentations on Intersex, I find that a mixture of speaking, perhaps showing a 15-minute video, and leaving time for Q&A is most productive. The venue to host the event doesn't have to be extraordinary, just enough to host a bunch of folks like us! If someone could please help a sistah out send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Ms. World Leather contest 2004 /
With IML behind me, and some successful fundraising, I prepare for the Ms. World Leather contest. The Ms. World Leather contest is known for its description, 'A different kind of contest for a different kind of woman!' Unlike a lot of other leather contests, Ms. World Leather is for leather women who are also activists. Ms. World celebrates the dedicated leather women who are working hard to make a difference in their communities around the globe. Their vision is to produce an event that will provide an opportunity for these women to continue their work and reach their full potential. This event is built to inform and educate not just the Leather community, but also those who stand outside our walls.
Last year I placed 1st runner-up. Goddess Lakshimi, now known for her slogan 'Get the 411 on Breast Cancer,' is Ms. World Leather 2003. This year my platform is still Intersex, educating the leather community and beyond about the plight of the Intersex community, but I plan on executing my poster presentation—which is a category of the contest—much better than I did last year. My slogan is 'Educating from the Heart.'
Of course Ms. World isn't just about the message you feel you need to carry to the leather community, it's also about the person that will wear the title of Ms. World Leather 2004. It's about modesty, humility, being an example, and not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less. For me Ms. World is about allowing me to do God's will, and she has allowed me to climb to the mountain top, and I've seen the promised land! I know that Intersexuals no longer have to suffer needlessly out of shame and self-pity; out of fear of judgment or being ridiculed. I feel the courage, confidence, and self-love God has blessed me with, so I can carry across the globe to help heal the Intersexuals that were told that they should hide who they are, or that no person in their right mind can ever love them.
Ms. World Leather contest is not about competing with other leather women to see who dresses the best, or how good you are at BDSM, or who you know. It's about believing in yourself and the message you carry. It's about the words, 'To thine own self be true!' With those words, with faith that what I am doing what needs to be done, and with a power greater than myself, I will travel to Dallas and compete once again for a title I feel will help me carry the message of love and shine light in every dark corner of every Intersexual that needs it all over the world! For I am not free of shame and secrecy until we all are free of shame and secrecy!
'I speak without concern for the accusations that I am too much or too little woman, too black or too white, or too much myself!' — Audre Lorde
This article shared 2777 times since Sun Aug 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Dutch apology, Swiss gov't, Victory Institute, 'Queer Japan' 2020-12-07|
- The Dutch government issued a formal apology to transgender and intersex citizens who were required to undergo sterilization surgeries to legally change their gender and agreed to compensate some of those who underwent the procedures, The ...
|NATIONAL Texas board, intersex portfolio, hate crimes, beauty queen dies
- A Texas regulatory board reinstated protections that bar social workers from refusing services to LGBTQ people and people with disabilities, NBC News reported. The Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, or BHEC, on Tuesday unanimously reversed an ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...
|Lurie announces overhaul of pediatric intersex surgery policies 2020-07-29|
- Ann & Robert Lurie Children's Hospital announced July 28 that it will no longer perform irreversible genital surgical procedures on intersex patients until patients can participate in making the decision. The surgeries have long been controversial, ...
|Idaho anti-trans law challenged 2020-04-15|
- A lawsuit was filed April 15 challenging Idaho's recently passed law that bans women and girls who are transgender as well as many women and girls who are intersex from participating in school sports, according to ...
|WORLD Canada and COVID-19, Indonesia incident, Panama policy 2020-04-14|
- The organization Egale, partnering with INNOVATIVE Research Group, presented a timeline that shows the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on Canada's LGBTQI2S (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex and two-spirit) ...
|WORLD Kazakhstan first, HIV news, intersex items, Chick-fil-A 2019-09-10|
- A controversial case that took a year and a half for Kazakhstan's court system to hear has turned out to be the first legal victory for LGBTIQ rights in Kazakhstan, ILGA-Europe.org reported. In January 2018, two ...
|WORLD Intersex survey, Russian activist, Polish publication 2019-07-30|
- Kenya will, for the first time, collect data on intersex people in its national population census, in a major victory for rights activists, the BBC reported. The August survey will determine the number of citizens who ...
|DignityUSA reponds to Archbishop denying school "Catholic" label 2019-06-21|
- Boston, MA. June 21, 2019. Leaders of DignityUSA, the world's oldest organization of Catholics supporting equality and full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) Catholics in the church ...
|NATIONAL Murder suspect, intersex passport, GLSEN awards 2019-05-28|
- In Tennessee, officials have made an arrest in the murder of Daniel Shields last July, NewsChannel5.com reported. Gerry Weatherby was charged with first-degree murder and especially aggravated kidnapping for the homicide of Shields, a bartender at ...
|Cook County Commissioner Condemns Administration's Treatment of Trans, GNC, Intersex 2019-02-21|
- Cook County Commissioner Kevin B. Morrison today passed a resolution to condemn the Trump Administration's Treatment of Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Intersex Individuals. A public hearing was held on Tuesday, February 19 ...
|WORLD Trans Thai PM candidate, anti-LGBT attacks, intersex ruling 2019-02-20|
- Pauline Ngarmpringwho has been a CEO and sports promoteris pursuing a bid to become Thailand's first transgender prime minister, Bendigo Advertiser reported. She says she wants her nomination to bring hope to the marginalized and to ...
|Intersex-rights activists stage train 'takeover' 2018-10-30|
- About 25 activists observed Intersex Awareness Day Oct. 26 with a protest on Chicago Transit Authority trains, calling attention to a local hospital's performing of what they say are medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex youngsters. Many ...
|NATIONAL Medical first, Tim Cook, N.Y. intersex protest 2018-10-30|
- Two married womenAshleigh and Bliss Coulterhave become the first couple to carry the same baby, People.com reported. Typically, one mother will hold and birth the child, and the couple will use a sperm donor; however, fertility ...
|Intersex-Affirming Hospital Policy Guide Published 2018-10-26|
- New York, NY Friday, October 26 marks Intersex Awareness Day. interACT: Advocates for Intersex Youth, Lambda Legal, and Proskauer Rose LLP have recently released the nation's first intersex-affirming hospital ...