WINDY CITY TIMES
||Michigan teacher suspended for playing pro-gay "Same Love" song
From an Equality Michigan news release
This article shared 2655 times since Fri Nov 30, 2012
SOUTH LYON A Detroit-area middle school has suspended a teacher for playing a song about being gay during class. The song, "Same Love", was played during Susuan Johnson's eigth-grade performing arts class at the request of a student. The song's lyrics discuss the harassment faced by gay youth growing up on a daily basis. Johnson was suspending for three days, with pay being withheld for two of those days.
Equality Michigan, the state's only statewide anti-violence and advocacy organization specifically serving the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities, provides services to victims of anti-gay or transgender harassment, violence, and discrimination. The organization is currently investigating this matter further.
Statement by Emily Dievendorf
Director of Policy, Equality Michigan
"While we are still investigating this incident, it appears that the South Lyon Community School District is taking a stance against diversity and love. Suspending a teacher for playing a song with lyrics like "love is kind" and "if I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me" says more about the school district's intolerance towards same-sex love than the teacher's judgment of her student's music tastes. I cannot help but wonder if they would have suspended her for playing a song which speaks positively of opposite-sex love or provides observations on the oppression faced by certain religions. Equality Michigan is eager and ready to help fight this behavior by South Lyon schools and make sure Susan Johnson is able to teach diversity and love over intolerance and hate."
Equality Michigan has worked passionately for over 20 years to achieve full equality and respect for all people in Michigan regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. For more information, visit www.equalitymi.org .
This article shared 2655 times since Fri Nov 30, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|House Musical: Coming of Age in the Age of House, celebrating the house music scene, to run April 20 - 30 2023-03-30|
--From a press release - Chicago, Illinois (March 30, 2023) — Campsongs Productions today announced the on-sale of world premiere musical House Musical: Coming of Age in the Age of House, celebrating Chicago's famed house music scene at the legendary Warehouse ...
|Book of Mormon's Sam Nackman knocks on Cadillac Palace door 2023-03-28|
- The Book of Mormon is returning to Chicago on a mission to convert new followers into the musical fold. The masterminds behind the satirical cartoon series South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker created a smash ...
|Kokandy Productions announces 2023 Season 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 22, 2023) — Kokandy Productions is thrilled to announce its 2023 season, including two fully produced musicals, plus plans for the return of the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival. This summer, Kokandy will dive into ...
|Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Diplo and more to headline Lollapalooza on Aug. 3-6 2023-03-21|
--From a press release - (Chicago—March 21, 2023) Lollapalooza has unveiled a powerhouse lineup for the 2023 edition, featuring first-time headliners Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish along with Red Hot Chili Peppers, ODESZA, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, who will make ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago announces its 2023-24 season 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (3/14/2023) — Lyric Opera of Chicago, led by General Director, President & CEO Anthony Freud and Music Director Enrique Mazzola, today announces the company's 2023/24 Season, which takes audiences on a global tour of opera ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce dates for summer festivals and events 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the 2023 dates for some of the City of Chicago's most beloved summertime traditions. Returning festivals and events include ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|