||Michigan Activist Seeks to Unite Through Web Site
This article shared 2430 times since Tue Aug 1, 2006
A desire to see Blacks unite across the board has propelled Detroit activist-writer Terry Howcott to develop an online space for people to engage in dialogue.
With TerryHowcott.com, Howcott is seeking to narrow the chasms that exist for several demographics, including same-gender-loving ( SGL ) Black people. 'I have strong relationships with Black hetero [ sexual ] folks who talk about their dilemmas in being supportive of Black [ SGL ] people,' she said in a statement. She backs up her SGL part of the agenda by saying in her intro to the Thinker's Greenspace that 'there is a secure mass of Black [ SGL ] people that are underrepresented and therefore seeming non-existent.'
The inclusion of SGL folks also extends to other areas of the site, particularly the Claiming the Whole Beloved Community page, which shows a gallery of people, straight and gay. As Howcott states on the site, this page 'gives straight Black people space to 'come out' as Broad, Black, open minded and supportive.'
See TerryHowcott.com .
This article shared 2430 times since Tue Aug 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chef Art Smith talks upcoming dinner and activism 2023-05-26|
- More than 6 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, including more than 230,000 Illinoisans. Additionally, more than 11 million family members and friends serve as dementia caregivers, with more than 383,000 caregivers in Illinois. Unti ...
|About Face Theater hosts Leppen Leadership Awards 2023-05-23|
- On May 14, About Face Theater presented its Leppen Leadership Awards to members of the LGBTQ+ community for their activism and service. The organization normally awards two individuals a year but decided to expand this year, ...
|MUSIC Billy Porter talks 'Mona Lisa,' authenticity and activism 2023-05-15|
- Billy Porter certainly seems to have it all. The actor/singer/director received numerous awards—including two Tonys (for his role in Kinky Boots and as a producer of A Strange Loop), a Grammy (for Kinky Boots as well) ...
|Joseph Kraft: Gay Chicago artist talks activism, stereotypes, love of art 2023-04-20|
- Joseph Kraft has been an artist practically all his life. The Illinois native and Ukrainian Village resident's love of art has taken him to many places. His latest big move was more professional than geographical, as ...
|ONYX Midwest forum tackles racist performance at Touche's anniversary party 2023-01-22|
- In a response to the racist performance that took place at the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration on Nov. 1, 2022, ONYX Midwest hosted a community forum Jan. 21 at The Leather ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH bell hooks: A voice of love, activism and intersectionality 2022-10-22|
- When bell hooks died on Dec. 15, 2021, it was a gut punch. There was no time when bell hooks' extraordinary writing and feminist and lesbian theorizing was not part of the queer community. There was ...
|Chelsea Manning, Jessica Lange and more are part of CHF's fall slate 2022-10-12|
- This fall, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) is bringing some of the biggest names in film, politics, music, literature and activism to stages across Chicago for conversations addressing the theme of "PUBLIC" and how people are ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH Urvashi Vaid: A Voice for Liberation and Justice 2022-10-09|
- When Urvashi Vaid died at 63 in May 2022 after a valiant fight with breast cancer, thousands of LGBTQ+ people who had been touched by her decades of activism mourned her passing. Over a half-century of ...
|National Day of Action reproductive-rights rally set for Oct. 8 2022-10-04|
- In Chicago, a broad group of more than 40 organizationsincluding a who's who of reproductive-justice groupsis organizing a rally in solidarity with a National Day of Action to defend and expand access to safe and legal ...
|GLAAD releases third annual 20 Under 20 list 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - New York, NYGLAAD revealed its third annual 20 Under 20 list, spotlighting 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. GLAAD's ...
|Dozens arrested at EuroPride march in Serbia 2022-09-19|
- Serbian police arrested more than 60 people as thousands of LGBTQI+ activists turned out for Belgrade's EuroPride march on Sept. 17despite a governmental ban, The Guardian reported. The event had been intended as the culmination of ...
|Photos of Chicago's Daniel Sotomayor included in new Smithsonian exhibit 2022-06-22|
- The Smithsonian's first gallery dedicated to Latino history and culture has opened its doors to the public at the National Museum of American History, NBC News noted. Billed as a precursor to a national Latino museum ...
|Local trans icon June LaTrobe dies 2022-06-11|
- June M. LaTrobe—a Chicago trans icon known for her activism—has passed away. She turned 81 on June 1. Being an advocate for the trans community, LaTrobe participated in many events (such as protests) and often took ...
|Puerto Rican Arts Alliance holds 'Community Parades and Activism' 2022-06-05|
- Puerto Rican Arts Alliance (PRAA) held the a panel discussion"Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space"June 4 at the PRAA Center. According to its website, PRAA is "a premier ...
|About Face to run immersive comedy about climate-change activism 2022-05-27|
- About Face Theatre brings its 27th season to a close with a world premiere comedy created by and starring the About Face Youth Theatre ensemble. Gayme Changers will run June 18-24 at The Den Theater, 1331 ...
|Artemis Singers' summer performance urges listeners to be 'defiantly optimistic' |
|NATIONAL North Carolina, 'Pride Heroes,' school news, gay publication folds, Iowa|
|WORLD Global survey, Turkey, Russians in Argentina, trans-rights activist|
|SHOWBIZ Romance films, Megan Thee Stallion, Keith Haring, Cher, George Maharis|
|THEATER 'Star Wars' burlesque parody at Logan Auditorium|