WINDY CITY TIMES
||Meth Task Force Member Criticizes Company's Findings
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 3248 times since Wed Nov 7, 2007
A member of the Chicago Crystal Meth Task Force ( CCMTF ) has criticized the results of an experiment involving a controversial drug treatment program.
Last week, Hythiam, Inc.,—the company behind the PROMETA treatment program, which has been used to combat meth, alcohol and cocaine dependence—released the results of a 30-day randomized study conducted by addiction expert Dr. Harold C. Urschel, III, on meth-dependent individuals. ( The study utilized PROMETA and placebo treatments—44 individuals in each. ) Urschel said in a press release that the study showed a 'statistically significant reduction of cravings over placebo in treatment-seeking, methamphetamine-dependent subjects.'
However, CCMTF's Jim Pickett said that the results warrant a closer look. 'Most people in this study, in fact, continued to use crystal meth,' Pickett said. 'Nine patients in the PROMETA treatment were absolutely abstinent and six in the placebo were abstinent so, if you do the math, ... 35 people used crystal during that month [ in the PROMETA arm of the treatment ] . ... I think that's very telling. There's some measure of craving reduction, but what does that really mean?'
Pickett also cited a quote he attributed to researcher Gantt Galloway: 'Paying for PROMETA treatments that may reduce cravings while not reducing methamphetamine use is like paying for an expensive weight-loss program that decreases hunger while not decreasing weight.'
'You could argue that it's about the precursors to methamphetamine use,' Pickett continued. 'Even getting people to stop [ using ] the drug doesn't address why we use the drug.'
Pickett also said that the small number of subjects and what he said is Urschel's connection to the company chip at the credence of the experiment. 'I think it should be questioned when the lead investigator is a licensed provider of the PROMETA treatment in Dallas,' Pickett said, adding that he is very intrigued to hear the results of a current 120-day PROMETA study with Dr. Walter Ling—who is not affiliated with PROMETA.
This article shared 3248 times since Wed Nov 7, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Quigley, Torres, Sorensen lead letter to FDA on updated blood donation guidance 2023-03-30|
--From a press release - Washington, DC - Today, U.S. Representatives Mike Quigley (IL-05), Ritchie Torres (NY-15), and Eric Sorensen (IL-17) led 23 members in a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services and the Food and Drug Administration ...
|GLAD statement: Order by federal judge in Texas stands to increase HIV transmission 2023-03-30|
--From a press release - Today a federal judge in Texas issued an order in Braidwood v. Becerra blocking a requirement under the Affordable Care Act that all preventive healthcare services given an A or B rating by United States Preventive ...
|31ST annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises more than $9 million 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2023 — The 31st annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Viewing Party hosted by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with special guests Eric McCormack and Michaela Jae Rodriguez, raised more ...
|Returning World of Chocolate event nets $250K 2023-02-22|
- On Feb. 17, AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC) annual fundraiser, World of Chocolate returned after a three-year break due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, the event was held in the main entry way of Union ...
|Gov. Pritzker Proposes $5M cut to state HIV funding 2023-02-17|
--From a press release - Feb. 16, 2023—Speaking before a joint session of the Illinois General Assembly for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor JB Pritzker delivered his annual State of the State and Budget address ...
|NATIONAL Mayor's honor, sexuality oath, Big Freedia, TikTok COO, AIDS Quilt 2023-02-11|
- Openly gay San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria recently became the latest recipient of the Latino Leaders Network's Antonio Villaraigosa Leadership Award during the organization's Tribute to Mayors, the Los Angeles Blade reported. The biannual event, held ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, Alan Cumming, Andre Leon Talley, AIDS drama 2023-02-05|
- Openly gay stand-up comic and recent Golden Globes host Jerrod Carmichael is set to star in a comedy documentary series for HBO, according to Entertainment Weekly. The yet-untitled series will center on Carmichael's personal life, following ...
|AFC's World of Chocolate on Feb. 17 2023-01-02|
- After a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will host the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, Feb. 17, at Union Station, 225 S. Canal St. This event features a menu ...
|Chicago activist Jeff Berry discusses advocacy for aging persons living with HIV 2022-12-08|
- For longtime Chicago activist Jeff Berry, becoming the first executive director of the Reunion Project—a national alliance centering aging persons living with HIV, which Berry co-founded in 2015—was a significant ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|PRCC-VIDA/SIDA event marks World AIDS Day with Vigil and Baton show 2022-12-05|
- On Dec. 1, the Puerto Rican Community Center (PRCC) and Vida/SIDA celebrated World AIDS Day with a candlelight vigil in the afternoon and a commemorative show at The Baton Show Lounge in the evening. The earlier ...
|Chicago's sweetest party and fundraiser, World of Chocolate returns In-person Feb. 17 at Union Station 2022-12-05|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Glitz, glamour and chocolate…after a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) proudly announces the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, February 17 at Union Station ...
|Cleve Jones, founder of AIDS Memorial Quilt, honored with Lifetime of Commitment Award on World AIDS Day 2022-12-03|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA (Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2022) — The National AIDS Memorial marked World AIDS Day with a national observance at the 10-acre National AIDS Memorial Grove in San Francisco, honoring AIDS activist and founder of the AIDS Memorial Quilt ...
|Pritzker administration announces highly effective HIV treatment coming to Illinois in 2023 2022-12-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced today on World AIDS Day that a new, long-acting HIV treatment called Cabenuva will become available to thousands of ...
|World AIDS Day: GLAAD releases 2022 State of HIV Stigma Study 2022-12-01|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY - December 1, 2022) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is releasing its third annual State of HIV Stigma ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|
|Biden appoints Laura Ricketts to Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition|