WINDY CITY TIMES
by Sukie de la Croix
This article shared 1900 times since Wed Sep 27, 2000
The Salt Lake Tribune had an interesting article on the 10th annual Evergreen International conference at the Mormon-owned Joseph Smith Memorial Building in downtown Salt Lake City. Evergreen is an ex-gay ministry. At the conference, Richard Cohen, an ex-homosexual, a "therapist," and author of the book Coming Out Straight, insists that no one is born gay. He doesn't like what he calls the "g-a-y word" either. "Homosexuality," he said, "Is not gay, nor bad, but SSAD: Same Sex Attachment Disorder." Oh please! Do these people ever listen to themselves? Same Sex Attachment Disorder?! Remember the days before psycho-babble, before Oprah Winfrey began her tedious spiritual journey towards 'nothingness' ... back in the good old days when homosexuals were just biblical abominations? Now, those were the days ...Cohen goes on to explain that homosexuality, rather than being genetic, is a symptom of unresolved childhood trauma. "A little boy in a man's body looking for a daddy's love in the arms of another man," said Cohen. "Or a little girl in a woman's body looking for a mommy's love in the arms of another woman." Even if Cohen is right, is that such a bad thing? That, as adults, lesbians and gay men seek the love they were denied as a child. What's wrong with that?
While we're on the subject of so called "ex-gays," remember John Paulk, the board chair for the ex-gay group Exodus International, and on the staff of Focus on the Family? He was the guy on the cover of Newsweek as "Going Straight" with his ex-lesbian wife Anne. He is also the author of the book Not Afraid to Change; The Remarkable Story of How One Man Overcame Homosexuality, and appeared in ads in mainstream newspapers saying he had converted to heterosexuality through prayer. Southern Voice reports that Paulk isn't as "straight" as he says he is. He was recently confronted and photographed by gay activists frequenting Mr. P's, a gay bar in Washington, D.C. When confronted he claimed he didn't know Mr. P's was a gay bar and he had only dropped in to use the bathroom. So he dropped into Mr. P's for a pee, huh? But that doesn't explain why he was there for 40 minutes, socializing with men and offering to buy them drinks. There's a lot of mixed-up queens out there.
Two letters in the Lansing State Journal bring back memories of Anita Bryant's anti-gay tirades in the 1970s. Kenneth Sheffer's letter describes allowing gays into the Boy Scouts as "opening the hen house to the fox." Do you think this guy lives on a farm? "I can't imagine companies dropping their support of the Scouts," he writes, "I do not hate gays. I know a few who are great people and are the ones that can be trusted. But I do remember that God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Henry." But Shirley Michael wins the "Clichéd Letter of the Week Award": " ... in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth," she writes, "Now I'll tell you why homosexuality is immoral. God created Adam and Eve, to marry and become one. He didn't create Adam and Steve, or Eve and Evie. Satan is alive and doing his best to destroy morality. But God will prevail, and all will be judged accordingly." Remember Anita Bryant's: "If God had meant there to be homosexuals, he would have created Adam and Steve?" Well, sweethearts, if God had meant there to be heterosexuals, SHE would have created Cain and Mabel.
This article shared 1900 times since Wed Sep 27, 2000
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|GLAAD responds to Pope Francis' statement allowing blessing for same-sex couples 2023-10-02|
--From a press release - (Monday, October 2, 2023) GLAAD, the world's largest l LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to Pope Francis' groundbreaking statement allowing blessings on same-sex unions. According to New Ways Ministry ...
|OPINION Social media use, mental health literacy and related problems among LGBTQ+ youth 2023-09-23|
- Special to Windy City Times Depression levels in the United States have risen steadily over the past five decades, and steep increases have been observed in recent years among children, adolescents, and adults under 25 years ...
|LGBTQ+ media welcome Press Forward nat'l media funds for local news innovation, survival 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - [CHICAGO] – Members of News Is Out, a collaborative of six legacy LGBTQ+ media organizations, have expressed support and excitement about the newly announced national Press Forward effort to support local media in the United States. ...
|NLGJA: Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists names Hall of Fame honorees 2023-09-07|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. — Today, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists announced that co-publishers Susan Horowitz and Jan Stevenson, publisher Franco Stevens, and journalist James B. Stewart are the 2023 inductees ...
|Judge halts Texas' ban on drag performances 2023-09-01|
- U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Texas David Hittner has stopped the state's ban on drag performanceswhich was scheduled to go into place on Sept. 1enforcing a temporary injunction, media outlets reported. A coalition ...
|Dozens arrested at gay wedding in Nigeria 2023-08-29|
- Dozens of people were arrested for attending a gay wedding in Nigeria under the country's strict anti-LGBTQ+ laws, according to media reports. The number of arrestees have varied from 60 to more than 100. More than ...
|Christina Kahrl Named the 2023 Recipient of the Jeanne Cordova Award 2023-08-23|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. (August 23, 2023) — Today, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists announced that Christina Kahrl is the recipient of the 2023 Jeanne Córdova Award. "We are thrilled to honor Christina Kahrl with the Jeanne ...
|Iraq banning media from saying 'homosexuality' 2023-08-10|
- Iraq's official media regulator has ordered all media and social-media companies operating in the country not to use the term "homosexuality" and to say "sexual deviance" instead, NBC News reported. The Iraqi Communications and Media Commission ...
|Suspect arrested in the murder of O'Shae Sibley, GLAAD comments 2023-08-04|
--From a press release - (New York, NY - August 4, 2023) GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to news that the 17-year-old suspect in the stabbing death of 28-year-old O'Shae Sibley has been arrested in New ...
|Miss Netherlands crowns first trans woman 2023-07-10|
- On July 8, Rikkie Valerie Kolle was named Miss Netherlandsbecoming the first transgender woman to win the title, according to media reports. Kolle will now advance to represent her homeland at the 72nd Miss Universe pageant, ...
|UPDATE: NU fires football coach in wake of hazing scandal 2023-07-09|
- Northwestern University fired longtime coach Pat Fitzgerald on July 10 amid allegations of widespread hazing within the football program, according to media reports. ...
|Megan Rapinoe to retire at end of 2023 2023-07-08|
- Lesbian soccer icon/activist Megan Rapinoe plans to retire at the end of the year, according to media reports. Rapinoe, 38, has played for the U.S. women's national team since 2006. The upcoming Women's World Cup will ...
|Baseball team cuts player who defends anti-LGBTQ+ post 2023-07-05|
- Last month, the Toronto Blue Jays cut pitcher Anthony Bass after he said he didn't think an anti-LGBTQ+ social media post he shared last month was hateful, NBC News noted. The move happened hours before Bass ...
|Judges block gender-affirming bans for minors in Tennessee, Kentucky 2023-06-29|
- Federal judges have temporarily blocked most aspects of the Tennessee and Kentucky bans on gender-affirming care for transgender minors, according to media reports. The Tennessee injunction, issued June 28, lets the ban on gender-affirming surgeries for ...
|VIEWPOINT For divorced parents, transgender children's health can present tricky dilemmas 2023-06-12|
- Over the last few months, issues impacting individuals who identify as transgender and non-binary are getting a lot of attention in the media and among some politicians. Sadly, because it's become a political issue; a lot ...