WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1553 times since Wed May 16, 2001
Robert Lauer Schuman brings up an excellent point in his letter to the Cape Cod Times: "In his April 15 letter, the Rev. Christopher Wiley stated that if same-sex marriage is legalized, he will seek to undermine it. "'Why? Because my tax dollars, my insurance premiums and my conscience would all be violated by it.'
"We are all aware that straight people are not the only people who pay taxes to support the institution of heterosexual marriage. Gay people, too, pay those same taxes to support the marriages of people other than themselves. And gay people, too, pay insurance premiums to support spousal benefits for married heterosexual couples. Although this is not taxation without representation, it is similar ... .
"Although a Boston Tea Party is not yet being staged over this issue, good conscience does dictate that the matter be addressed by corrective tax and insurance legislation. Unless and until 'same-sex marriage' is legalized in Massachusetts, gay people should be exempted from having to pay taxes and premiums that go to support institutions and programs from whose direct benefits the gay population is excluded."
Adrian Jackson writes to the Melbourne Herald Sun: "Ashley Alp ( Herald Sun, April 19th ) , it is not unlawful to be a homosexual or to have relations outside wedlock.
"Fifty per cent of church weddings end in divorce, including abuse and emotional stress on children. Church laws are not relevant in 21st-century Australia."
... Or anywhere else in my opinion.
This article shared 1553 times since Wed May 16, 2001
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Dozens of celebrities, companies set to take part in Spirit Day on Oct. 21 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - New York, NY, Thursday, October 14, 2021 - Today, GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced a preliminary list of celebrities, shows ...
|Sisters in Cinema, DocuClub providing consulting opportunities to filmmakers 2021-10-07|
- Sisters in Cinemaa Chicago-based 501(C)3 that aims to center and celebrate Black girls, women and gender non-conforming media makersand DocuClub, a work-in-progress screening series, have entered into a strategic partnership ...
|Chicago Reader celebrates 50th anniversary 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - The Chicago Reader, a fearless, innovative, and nationally respected media voice in Chicago since 1971, is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a variety of exhibitions, events, and projects. The Chicago Reader's first issue was October 1, ...
|GLAAD releases 'Local Media Accountability Index - U.S. South' 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - GLAADhe world's largest LGBTQ media-advocacy organizationhas released its "Local Media Accountability Index - U.S. South," a measurement and evaluation of LGBTQ and HIV coverage in local news outlets across nine ...
|Gavin Newsom wins Calif. recall election 2021-09-15|
- On Sept. 14, California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom defeated a GOP-backed effort to remove him from office, media outlets reported. Speaking from Sacramento, Newsom thanked Californians for rejecting the recall effort, according to CNN.com. He also ...
|Britney Spears' dad petitions to end conservatorship 2021-09-08|
- In a huge win for pop star Britney Spears, her father and the conservator of her estate, Jamie Spears, filed a petition to end the arrangement on Sept. 7, media outlets reported. Jamie cited his daughter's ...
|SPORTS Red Stars teaming with Univision for Sept. 25 game 2021-08-23|
- The Chicago Red Stars of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) and Univision Chicagopart of Univision Communications Inc., the leading Spanish-language media and content company in the countryannounced a first-time ...
|COVID FDA grants full approval to Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine 2021-08-23|
- On Aug. 23, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA granted full approval to the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for people age 16 and older, media outlets reported. This is the first coronavirus vaccine approved by the ...
|GLAAD highlights how Olympians used Tokyo Games to call for LGBTQ acceptance 2021-08-11|
--From a press release - (August 11, 2021) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is highlighting how this year's historic number of out LGBTQ athletes repeatedly stood ...
|Windy City Times fellowships available 2021-08-06|
- Windy City Times will have four paid internships for writers available this fall as part of a new journalism education initiative, "Training the Next Generation of LGBTQ Journalists and Storytellers," in partnership with the Field Foundation. ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...
|Rapper DaBaby defends anti-gay comments 2021-07-27|
- Rapper DaBaby addressed his recent controversial comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami—and drew the ire of many on social media, CNN.com noted. During the performance, he made false and insulting comments about gay ...
|NBC Sports apologizes for misgendering Olympian; GLAAD responds 2021-07-27|
- GLAAD responded to media coverage of the first several days of the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics in Tokyo, including the misgendering of Team USA skateboarder Alana Smith. Smith made Olympic history July 25 as the first ...
|Chicago Filmmakers awards $100,000 to local social injustice digital media projects 2021-07-20|
--From a press release - (July 20, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce that the Chicago Digital Media Production Fund (CDMPF) has awarded a total of $100,000 in grants to eight Chicago artists for the production of ...
|GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index shows more LGBTQ character screen time, not so for trans 2021-07-15|
--From a press release - Los Angeles, CA - Thursday, July 15, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, today released its ninth annual Studio Responsibility Index (SRI), a study that maps the quantity, quality, and diversity of ...