WINDY CITY TIMES
by JIM EDMINSTER
This article shared 2974 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
From the 'Welcome-Back-Opus' file: the Sunday comics of the Chicago Tribune (2-1) has the famous penguin on a park bench talking to a working-class straight couple as all watch a lesbian wedding in a gazebo down the way. The obnoxious husband opines that this is the downfall of All Marriage. His wife, on the other hand says, 'It's kind of lovely, isn't it. Their fingertips barely touch like a tactile vow of whispered love. Two souls intertwined, growing as one like the garland folded over their linked wrists of lilac and baby's breath.' He burps, picks his nose and she asks for a divorce, proving his point.
Gay writer Andrew Sullivan in Time Magazine (2/16): 'When people talk about gay marriage, they miss the point. It's about marriage. It's about family. It's about love. It isn't about religion. It's about civil marriage licenses. Churches can and should have the right to say no to marriage for gays in their congregations just as Catholics say no to divorce but divorce is still a civil option. These family values are not options for a happy and stable life; they are necessities. ... Using euphemisms for marriage put back the barrier many of us have spent a lifetime to erase.'
From the 'Cute-Headings' file: The NY Times (2/7) tells us of animal homosexuality under the banner: 'Love That Dare Not Squeak Its Name.' The article is an overview of books and studies that survey this topic. Among the same-sexed couples are these species: penguins (watch out Opus), bonobos (miniature chimps), dolphins, sea gulls, macaques (a kind of monkey), and sandpipers. So much for homosexuality being unnatural.
Imagine if the head of the Republican Party were to come out and support gay marriage. That is precisely what the head of the British Conservative party, Michael Howard, has done, as reported in the Independent (2/10): '... Families are changing. Not all conform to the traditional pattern. I continue to believe that the conventional marriage and family is the best environment in which to bring up children. But many couples now choose not to marry. And more and more same-sex couples want to take on the shared responsibilities of a committed relationship. It is in all our interests to encourage the voluntary acceptance of such shared responsibilities—but in some instances the state actively discourages it. That should change, and I will support the Government's Civil Partnership Bill.' It should be pointed out that the Conservative Party in Great Britain is only a political party unlike the conservative movement in the USA which is ever-more bound to a religious faction.
From the Chicago Trib (2/11), a gay film fest is scheduled this week for the University of Notre Dame. The school was counted 'most unfriendly' to homosexuals by the Princeton Review. Nicholas Sakurai, an official of the U.S. Student Association attributes the much-pushed-for film fest and others like it to the large numbers of high school students who came out in the '90s who're now in college challenging anti-gay administrators and rules.
This article shared 2974 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MacArthur Foundation expands support of Chicago area media, storytelling, partnered with Field Foundation 2022-08-03|
-- From a press release - August 3, 2022The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation today announced the renewal of a three-year, $3 million grant to the Field Foundation'sMedia & Storytelling program, which provides grants to a diverse set of Chicago ...
|National LGBTQ Task Force to honor Jonathan Capehart 2022-07-18|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force will honor MSNBC anchor and Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post Associate Editor Jonathan Capehart with the National Leadership Award at the 26th Annual National LGBTQ Task Force Gala on Saturday, Oct. 22, ...
|GLAAD releases 2022 Social Media Safety Index 2022-07-14|
- GLAAD has released its 2022 Social Media Safety Index (SMSI). The SMSI provides recommendations for the industry at large and reports on LGBTQ user safety across the five major social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube ...
|Rapinoe, Biles among Medal of Freedom honorees 2022-07-02|
- Out lesbian soccer player Megan Rapinoe and famed gymnast Simone Biles are among 17 people who will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Joe Biden, media outlets noted. Some of the other honorees include ...
|Jeffrey Epstein cohort Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years 2022-06-28|
- On June 28, Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for carrying out a years-long scheme with her longtime confidante (and former boyfriend) Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls, media ...
|Critically acclaimed Queer Serial History Podcast continues new series into Pride Month 2022-06-06|
-- From a press release - In Queer Serial's radio drama style, NLGJA award-winning producer Devlyn Camp is bringing gay history to life with news & gay radio shows from the archives, unheard interviews between historian Will Roscoe & Supervisor Harry Britt, ...
|GLAAD: True LGBTQ allyship extends to all aspects of business, including political giving 2022-05-31|
-- From a press release - Tuesday, May 31, 2022 (New York, NY)—GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announces GLAAD's Recommendations for Corporate Allies to educate corpo ...
|The Museum of Public Relations to address wave of anti-LGBTQ legislation June 2 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY) - The Museum of Public Relations in New York City will host its fourth annual event focused on "The LGBTQ Experience in Public Relations" on June 2, 2022, from 6pm to 8pm ET. ...
|Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream 2022-05-21|
- Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream by Jerry Nunn Out figure skater Johnny Weir is an award-winning Olympian and an LGBTQ+ champion. This gay media spokesman brings past experience ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York honor Judith Light, Wilson Cruz and more 2022-05-07|
-- From a press release - New York - Friday, May 6 — GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on May 6. Additional categories were announced in Los Angeles on April ...
|LGBTQ+ woman appointed as White House press secretary; GLAAD comments 2022-05-05|
- On May 5, President Biden announced Karine Jean-Pierre has been promoted to be assistant to the president and White House press secretary, according to a White House media release. Jean-Pierre will step into the press secretary ...
|TELEVISION Peacock cancels rebooted 'Saved by the Bell' 2022-05-05|
- Only a month after the reboot of the classic NBC comedy Saved by the Bell won Outstanding Comedy Series at the GLAAD Media Awards, Peacock has canceled the show after two seasons, Deadline reported. The second ...
|Chappelle attacked at Netflix event; man charged with misdemeanors [UPDATES] 2022-05-04|
- Social media exploded overnight on May 3 with reports that comedian Dave Chappelle was attacked at his Hollywood Bowl Show, which was a part of the Netflix Is a Joke Festival, according to Deadline. Apparently, Chappelle ...
|Reader owner steps down; paper can now go nonprofit route 2022-04-26|
- Chicago Reader co-owner Len Goodman and three board members stepped down April 26 amid protests from employees, freeing the embattled alternative newspaper to transition to a nonprofit organization, The Chicago Tribune reported. The Reader has been ...