WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 2486 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
Since the 1960s, queer people have become increasingly visible in the media. Queer identities in community life and politics may rely in the 21st century on the prevailing media landscape. The paradoxes of visibility are many: spurring tolerance through harmful stereotyping, diminishing isolation at the cost of activism, trading assimilation for equality, converting radicalism into a market niche. A series of colloquia and a day-long symposium will explore visibility and its discontents.
Feb. 20. Queers in Dataspace: LGBT Communities & New Media. March 12. Pop Out World: Popular Media & Queer Identity. Fridays, 1-4 p.m., Institute for the Humanities, 701 S. Morgan Street, Lower level, Stevenson Hall, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), Ill., 60607.
Symposium April 2. Media/Queered: Visibility and its Discontents, includes Studs Terkel. Call Linda Vavra (312) 996-6352, fax 312.996.2938, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.uic.edu/~kgbcomm/mq.
This article shared 2486 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MacArthur Foundation expands support of Chicago area media, storytelling, partnered with Field Foundation 2022-08-03|
-- From a press release - August 3, 2022The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation today announced the renewal of a three-year, $3 million grant to the Field Foundation'sMedia & Storytelling program, which provides grants to a diverse set of Chicago ...
|National LGBTQ Task Force to honor Jonathan Capehart 2022-07-18|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force will honor MSNBC anchor and Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post Associate Editor Jonathan Capehart with the National Leadership Award at the 26th Annual National LGBTQ Task Force Gala on Saturday, Oct. 22, ...
|GLAAD releases 2022 Social Media Safety Index 2022-07-14|
- GLAAD has released its 2022 Social Media Safety Index (SMSI). The SMSI provides recommendations for the industry at large and reports on LGBTQ user safety across the five major social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube ...
|Rapinoe, Biles among Medal of Freedom honorees 2022-07-02|
- Out lesbian soccer player Megan Rapinoe and famed gymnast Simone Biles are among 17 people who will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Joe Biden, media outlets noted. Some of the other honorees include ...
|Jeffrey Epstein cohort Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years 2022-06-28|
- On June 28, Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for carrying out a years-long scheme with her longtime confidante (and former boyfriend) Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls, media ...
|Critically acclaimed Queer Serial History Podcast continues new series into Pride Month 2022-06-06|
-- From a press release - In Queer Serial's radio drama style, NLGJA award-winning producer Devlyn Camp is bringing gay history to life with news & gay radio shows from the archives, unheard interviews between historian Will Roscoe & Supervisor Harry Britt, ...
|GLAAD: True LGBTQ allyship extends to all aspects of business, including political giving 2022-05-31|
-- From a press release - Tuesday, May 31, 2022 (New York, NY)—GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announces GLAAD's Recommendations for Corporate Allies to educate corpo ...
|The Museum of Public Relations to address wave of anti-LGBTQ legislation June 2 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY) - The Museum of Public Relations in New York City will host its fourth annual event focused on "The LGBTQ Experience in Public Relations" on June 2, 2022, from 6pm to 8pm ET. ...
|Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream 2022-05-21|
- Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream by Jerry Nunn Out figure skater Johnny Weir is an award-winning Olympian and an LGBTQ+ champion. This gay media spokesman brings past experience ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York honor Judith Light, Wilson Cruz and more 2022-05-07|
-- From a press release - New York - Friday, May 6 — GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on May 6. Additional categories were announced in Los Angeles on April ...
|LGBTQ+ woman appointed as White House press secretary; GLAAD comments 2022-05-05|
- On May 5, President Biden announced Karine Jean-Pierre has been promoted to be assistant to the president and White House press secretary, according to a White House media release. Jean-Pierre will step into the press secretary ...
|TELEVISION Peacock cancels rebooted 'Saved by the Bell' 2022-05-05|
- Only a month after the reboot of the classic NBC comedy Saved by the Bell won Outstanding Comedy Series at the GLAAD Media Awards, Peacock has canceled the show after two seasons, Deadline reported. The second ...
|Chappelle attacked at Netflix event; man charged with misdemeanors [UPDATES] 2022-05-04|
- Social media exploded overnight on May 3 with reports that comedian Dave Chappelle was attacked at his Hollywood Bowl Show, which was a part of the Netflix Is a Joke Festival, according to Deadline. Apparently, Chappelle ...
|Reader owner steps down; paper can now go nonprofit route 2022-04-26|
- Chicago Reader co-owner Len Goodman and three board members stepped down April 26 amid protests from employees, freeing the embattled alternative newspaper to transition to a nonprofit organization, The Chicago Tribune reported. The Reader has been ...