WINDY CITY TIMES
||Mary Griffith, Champion of LGBTQ rights, has passed away
This article shared 2292 times since Thu Feb 13, 2020
LOS ANGELESMary Griffith, iconic crusader for LGBTQ equality, passed away after a lengthy illness on Friday, Feb. 7, 2020 at her home in Walnut Creek, CA. She was 85. She is survived by her husband, Robert; children Joy Griffith, Ed ( Suzy ) Griffith and Nancy Griffith; grandchildren Caiden, Ernesto Jesse, Jordyn, Ben and Clancy; and brother Charles Griffith.
Sigourney Weaver starred as Mary Griffith in the Emmy Award-nominatedand GLAAD Award-winning Lifetime movie, Prayers for Bobby ; Weaver received nominations for Emmy, Golden Globe, and Screen Actors Guild awards for her portrayal.
PRAYERS FOR BOBBY trailer: www.youtube.com/watch .
Interview with Mary Griffith: www.youtube.com/watch .
Based on the landmark Harper Collins book by journalist Leroy Aarons, Prayers for Bobby is the story of the emotional journey that led Bobby to his tragic conclusion, and equally so the story of Mary, a fearful churchgoer who first prayed that her son would be "healed", then anguished when he died by suicide in 1983. Mary ultimately transformed herself into a national crusader for LGBTQ+ youth.
Brian K. Bond, Executive Director of PFLAG National, the first and largest organization for LGBTQ+ people, their parents and families, and allies, said, "The PFLAG family is deeply saddened by the loss of Mary Griffith, who led by heroic example on changing hearts and minds by sharing her personal story. After the devastating loss of her son to suicide, Mary found PFLAG and learned that one can love both their child and their faith and not have to choose between them. Mary used this personal journey to help countless other parents, so that they would not have to face the same loss that she did."
Continued Bond, "Mary Griffith was a force to be reckoned with, and her storytold both in the original book by Leroy Aarons and the beautiful award-winning film PRAYERS FOR BOBBYcontinues to change lives around the world. We're grateful to the Griffith family for their generosity and support of PFLAG National, which will ensure that Mary's story continues to change the lives of LGBTQ+ people and their families. The hearts of PFLAGers everywhere are with the Griffith family."
"Mary's life story has been embraced by millions of people globally, said Daniel Sladek, Executive Producer of PRAYERS FOR BOBBY. "On behalf of myself and my producing partners Chris Taaffe and David Permut, we are heartbroken to learn of our dear friend Mary's passing. While soft-spoken and endlessly kind, Mary's dedication was absolute. The thousands of emails and letters we received on Mary's behalf are validation of the impact she has made on people's lives. She was a fierce advocate on behalf of LGBTQ equality and she will be deeply missed."
In celebration of Mary's life, contributions can be made to PFLAG National at pflag.org/marygriffith . —From a press release
This article shared 2292 times since Thu Feb 13, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|'Party Monster' killer Michael Alig dies at 54
- Michael Alig who was at the center of the LGBTQ "club kids" scene in late 1980s and early '90s Manhattan, and whose involvement in the murder and dismemberment of his drug dealer was chronicled in the 2003 film Party Monster died Dec. 25th ...
|PASSAGES Chicago gay pioneer Richard Cooke dies 2020-12-17|
- Richard Cooke, a longtime Chicago resident and familiar East Lakeview presence along with his dachshund Governor, died in the early morning hours of Dec. 12, after suffering a heart attack earlier in the week. He was ...
|PASSAGES Ravinia producer Stephen R. Smoot, 57 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - Stephen R. Smoot, who produced hundreds of concerts for Ravinia Festival since 2005, died suddenly on Friday, Nov. 27. He was 57. Known for his quick wit and generous impulse to shine the spotlight on others, ...
|PASSAGES LGBT activist, former Oak Park, Illinois mayor Joanne Trapani dies 2020-12-02|
- LGBT activist and former Oak Park, Illinois Mayor Joanne Trapani died Nov. 29 due to complications from her endometrial cancer diagnosis. She was 71. Trapani was born in Corona, Queens, New York City on Aug. 5, ...
|PASSAGES Joanne E. Trapani 2020-11-29|
- According to Facebook posts, Joanne E. Trapani, one-time village president of Oak Park, has passed away. Read about her life and work in the community at the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame: http://chicagolgbthalloffame.org/trapani-joanne/ . and at ...
|Award-winning journalist Deb Price dead at 62 2020-11-27|
- Deb Price, the award-winning journalist and author who wrote the first nationally syndicated column on LGBT issues in mainstream newspapers, has died in a hospital at age 62 in Hong Kong, where she had lived for ...
|PASSAGES Adrian Ford 2020-11-24|
- Adrian Robert Ford, of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, died unexpectedly Nov. 17. He was 74 Born in Rochester, New York, on May 11, 1946 to Clarence and Ruth Ford, Adrian grew up in Webster, New York, ...
|PASSAGES Marsha M. Wetzel 2020-11-17|
- Marsha Marie Wetzel, advocate for the LGBTQ community, died peacefully at her Greenview Place home in Chicago, Illinois, on Nov. 1, 2020. In keeping with her faith, she passed on All Saints Day. She was preceded ...
|PASSAGES Kevin Putz 2020-11-04|
- Evanston resident Kevin Andrew Putz has passed away, He was 56. Kevin was the beloved husband of Michael McNamara; son of Sharon Putz and the late Dr. Gerard J. Putz; loving brother of Michael (Connie) Putz ...
|PASSAGES Activist John Chester remembered
- Longtime LGBT activist and former Chicagoan John Chester passed away Oct. 10 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he had been living since retirement. He was 78. Chester, who was inducted into the Chicago Gay and Lesbian ...
|PASSAGES Transgender advocate, journalist Monica Roberts dies 2020-10-08|
--From a National LGBTQ Task Force press release - "This week, the LGBTQ+ community lost one of our fiercest voices in Monica Roberts, an activist who not only lifted up the stories of trans people and inspired generations of countless transgender and non-binary people but ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...