WINDY CITY TIMES
||Mara Keisling leaving national trans group
This article shared 556 times since Sun Mar 28, 2021
After 18 years leading the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), Mara Keisling is not renewing her contract, according to LGBTQ Nation.
Current Deputy Executive Director Rodrigo Heng-Lehtinen will succeed her.
In a statement on the organization's website, Keisling said, in part, "While it is so hard to say goodbye to this organization that I love so much, I could not be happier that NCTE's board of directors has selected him to be the organization's next leader.
"When we founded NCTE in 2003, trans people didn't have a voice in Washington. As a trans person, I just knew that was wrong. It made me want to advocate for trans people and it made me want to empower others to be advocates and allies. Back then we all agreed that neither NCTE nor I should be the only representative of our community. And today there are many trans voices a part of important conversations.
"I am so proud when I reflect on what we have done together to pass federal legislation, advance better ID laws, increase health care access, and completely change how the government and society sees us.
"And together, we have established an LGBTQ movement that truly includes trans people and prioritizes our lives to this day."
Media outlets noted that, in 2019, NCTE dissolved its staff. NewNowNext.com reported that leaders offered buyout packages to all staff. The offer came after staffers wrote a letter demanding that Keisling and Deputy Executive Director Lisa Mottet resign within 18 months, citing a racial divide "between NCTE and leaders within the Black and brown trans communities."
On its website, NCTE has an update on what has happened since then, adding, "We know that racial justice is a journey, and change doesn't happen overnight." All the details are at transequality.org/about/racial-justice-and-social-justice-at-ncte .
This article shared 556 times since Sun Mar 28, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Jennifer Pritzker threatens to leave Tennessee over anti-trans legislation
- Jennifer Pritzkerthe world's first out and only known transgender billionaire, as well as a cousin of Illinois Gov. JB Pritzkerthreatened to pull her fortune from Tennessee if lawmakers pass transphobic ...
|Gay, trans panic defenses continue in court cases in many US states
--From a press release - Gay and trans panic defenses first appeared in court cases in the 1960s and continue to be raised in criminal trials today. ...
|PASSAGES Donald Duane Slater 2021-04-20|
- Donald Duane Slater, age 73, of Kalamazoo Michigan made his transition on April 8, 2021 in his home, of natural causes. Don worked in several bars in the 1970's and 80's. Among them the Glory Hole ...
|GLAAD responds to increase in suicide attempts among trans youth in Arkansas 2021-04-19|
--From a press release - (New York, NY - April 19, 2021) — GLAAD is responding to reports of an increase in suicide attempts among transgender youth in Arkansas, which on April 6 became the first U.S. state to outlaw gender-affirming ...
|NATIONAL More trans deaths, bullied teen, Manhunt, trans writer, Biden 2021-04-18|
- A Black transgender woman in Missouri was shot to deathand investigators swiftly tracked down a suspect they believe shot her after meeting on an online dating website, LGBTQ Nation reported. Dominique Lucious was found dead April ...
|Poll: Most Americans oppose anti-trans laws
- A new PBS NewsHour/NPR/Marist poll showed that two-thirds of U.S. residents oppose laws that would limit transgender rights, PBS reported. About one half of one percent of U.S. adults are transgender, according to a recent Gallup ...
|Equality Florida, HRC condemn Florida House passage of trans sports ban
--From a press release - Tallahassee, FL - The Florida House has voted 77-40 to ban transgender girls from playing sports alongside their peers. The vote comes just hours after transgender students and advocates held a press conference in the Florida ...
|International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia theme announced 2021-04-15|
--From a collective press release - LGBTQI+ networks from around the world have announced the theme for this year's International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia: "Together: Resisting, Supporting, Healing!" We are inspired by this very ...
|More than 45,000 trans youth put at risk of losing access to gender-affirming care 2021-04-13|
--From a Williams Institute press release - An estimated 45,100 transgender youth ages 13 and older in the U.S. are at risk of being denied gender-affirming medical care due to proposed and enacted state bans, according to the Williams Institute at UCLA School ...
|NCAA issues statement hitting back at anti-trans discrimination
- The NCAA, which regulates college athletics in the United States, supported transgender athletes April 12, saying it won't hold championship events in locations that aren't "free of discrimination," NBC News reported. As Republicans in more than ...
|Trans, non-binary youth influencers launch book collection with "A Kids Book About" 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - April 12, 2021 - While many teens took e-learning as an opportunity to level-up their gaming skills, a group of young people chose instead to write a collection of books about their lives. ...
|WORLD Trans women arrested, death threats, Russian film, leader apologizes 2021-04-11|
- Two transgender women facing charges of "attempted homosexuality" (as well as public indecency and not carrying identification) in a high-profile case in Cameroon will spend more than two months behind bars without a trial after a ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...
|GLAAD Media Awards honor creative forces of change in media, culture 2021-04-09|
--From a press release, video below - Los Angeles, CA, Thursday, April 8, 2021 — GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, tonight hosted a virtual ceremony to announce the award recipients of the 32nd Annu ...
|New study shows discrimination, stigma, family pressure drive transgender "detransition" 2021-04-07|
--From a press release - BOSTONA new study published in LGBT Health found that 13.1% of currently identified transgender people have detransitioned at some point in their lives, but that 82.5% of those who have detransitioned attribute their decision to at ...