WINDY CITY TIMES
||MUSIC Upcoming 'Carmen' featuring queer lead, male drag
This article shared 1395 times since Sun Sep 5, 2021
On Sept. 16 and 18 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., Chicago audiences will have the rare opportunity to hear two world-class dramatic mezzo-sopranos debut new roles opposite one another in Chicago Opera Theater's (COT's) Carmen.
Queer mezzo-soprano Jamie Bartonwho The New York Times dubbed "opera's nose-studded rock star"will make her role debut as the titular femme fatale. And Blythely Oratoniothe tenor alter ego of the legendary Stephanie Blythewill sing his first Don Jose.
"Though Bizet's melodies are familiar to many opera-goers, this will be a very different perspective on an operatic classic," said COT Music Director Lidiya Yankovskaya, who will conduct the semi-staged concert performances. "It's also a unique opportunity to hear these inimitable artists exploring brand-new territory. Jamie Barton is long overdue in her debut as Carmen, and I'm thrilled that Stephanie Blythe will be joining us in a new role that fits her truly unusual voice like a glove."
Carmen will be performed in French with English subtitles, without chorus, and will run approximately two hours with one intermission. Carmen will premiere Thursday, Sept. 16, at 7:30 p.m., with one additional performance Saturday, Sept. 18, at 3 p.m.
Tickets ($45-$150 each) are available at COT.org/carmen.
NOTE: All attendees will be required to wear a mask covering both nose and mouth while inside the Harris Theater, which will be filled to a maximum of 60% capacity. To enter, you must show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 by presenting your vaccination card and photo ID or by using the My Bindle app. Alternately, the theater will accept a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of the event or a negative rapid antigen test result within six hours of the event. More details on COT's COVID-19 protocols can be found at COT.org/COVID.
This article shared 1395 times since Sun Sep 5, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MUSIC Aimee Mann to perform April 29-30 at Old Town School of Folk Music 2022-01-19|
- Musician Aimee Mann is slated to perform April 29-30 at Old Town School of Folk Music's Gary and Laura Maurer Concert Hall, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. After several albums with 'Til Tuesday (with songs like "Voices ...
|SHOWBIZ Music festivals, Murray Bartlett, Reese Witherspoon, author David Sedaris 2022-01-16|
- Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival revealed the lineup for this year's festival, taking place June 16-19 on the Bonnaroo Farm in Manchester, Tennessee, a press release noted. Highlights will include performances by Tool, J. Cole, Stevie ...
|Black Ensemble Theatre announces 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings 2022-01-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—Black Ensemble Theater's Founder and CEO Jackie Taylor announces its 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings. The 2022 Season includes four World Premiere musicals showcasing the power ...
|THEATER 'Mary Rose' running through Feb. 12 2022-01-10|
- Black Button Eyes (BBE) Productions is concluding its 2021-22 season with the world-premiere musical Mary Rose, featuring book and lyrics by Producing Artistic Director Ed Rutherford, music and lyrics by Jeff Bouthiette, direction by Ed Rutherford ...
|SHOWBIZ Non-binary skater, Cardi B, David Bowie, 'West Hollywood' series 2022-01-09|
- U.S. figure skating champion Timothy LeDuc is hoping to make history as the first out non-binary Winter Olympian in Beijing, out.com noted. The 31-year-old Iowa native and their skating partner, Ashley Cain-Gribble, already have a gold ...
|THEATER Trans performer Sis is doin' fine in 'Oklahoma!' 2022-01-05|
- This isn't your typical grandma's Oklahoma! The very first musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein opened on Broadway in 1943 and continues to captivate audiences today. The dialogue remains the same, but updated casting choices have ...
|THEATER 'Winnie the Pooh' running March 15-June 12 2022-01-05|
- After its run in New York City, Jonathan Rockefeller's Disney's Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Stage Adaptation will arrive in Chicago on March 15 and will run through June 12 at the Mercury Theatre Chicago, ...
|THEATER 'Bachelor' parody musical to start Jan. 13 2022-01-03|
- Bachelor: The Unauthorized Parody Musical will run Jan. 13-Feb. 13 at Apollo Theater Chicago, 2550 N. Lincoln Ave. With songs like "Sob Story," "Two-On-One Tango" and "The Date Card is a Riddle," this parody has romance, ...
|Local composer finds inspiration in a queer love story 2021-12-29|
- Two melodic soprano voices echoed through the packed theater. Each note, pitch and crescendo was composed to tell a story of queer love overcoming injustice. Ana Miranda and Michelle Ford Knott, dressed in black, faced the ...
|SHOWBIZ The film 'Licorice Pizza,' Aaron Sorkin, WNBA player, Mariah Carey 2021-12-26|
- Alana Haim, who stars in the film Licorice Pizza (now out in theaters), talked with out.com about how the movie incorporates queer representation by including unsung queer political figure Joel Wachs. "Joel Wachs was such an ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' judges, 'Nash Bridges,' Dolly Parton, J.K. Rowling, Britney 2021-12-19|
- The guest judges for the 14th season of RuPaul's Drag Race have been revealed, according to out.com. Lizzo, Alicia Keys, Taraji P. Henson, Andra Day, Loni Love, Christine Chiu, Ava Max, Nicole Byer, Ts Madison, Alec ...
|MOVIES/MUSIC Director Julia Nash keeps legacy of gay deceased father alive with Wax Trax! film 2021-12-17|
- Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records is a documentary telling the story of two gay men who created a music empire in the '80s. Jim Nash and Dannie Flesher were a couple who made ...
|MUSIC Out singer VINCINT plans a 'Getaway' 2021-12-17|
- Out and proud singer Vincint Cannady (aka VINCINT) continues to change the game in the world of pop music. He got his start from performing in gospel groups before becoming a finalist in the singing competition ...
|Willie Nelson, Miranda Lambert, Tim McGraw to headline 2022 Smokeout 2021-12-13|
- Windy City Smokeout announced the headline music acts for its 2022 outdoor country music and BBQ festival. They include Grammy winners Tim McGraw and Miranda Lambert, ACM Award winner Sam Hunt; and 12 time Grammy winner ...
|Photography giant Annie Leibovitz talks 'Wonderland' at Chicago Humanities Festival 2021-12-13|
- In its classic style of spotlighting creative humans, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) hosted "Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Annie Leibovitz: Wonderland" on Dec. 7 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance. ...