WINDY CITY TIMES
||MONKEYPOX/MPXV Rapid PCR test in development
This article shared 492 times since Wed Sep 28, 2022
Last spring, a rapid polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test for COVID-19developed by Northwestern University spinoff company Minute Molecular Diagnosticsreceived emergency use authorization (EUA) status from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Now, the team behind this revolutionary test is adapting its platform to detect monkeypox/MPXV, according to a press release from the university.
Northwestern and Minute Molecular are collaborating to develop the swab-based test. Infectious disease specialists at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine will then lead clinical testing.
"The simplicity of the DASH test adds an important new tool to combat the monkeypox emergency," said Northwestern's Sally McFall, co-founder and chief scientific officer of Minute Molecular. "DASH enables non-laboratory personnel to insert a swab specimen into the test cartridge and load the cartridge into the analyzer. Then an accurate result is provided in 15 minutes."
When current patients are tested for monkeypox, physicians must send samples to a central laboratory facility. The samples are run in large batcheswhich can take several hours to provide results. By delivering fast results, DASH could theoretically enable monkeypox testing at sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinics, immediate care clinics, emergency rooms and physicians' offices.
This article shared 492 times since Wed Sep 28, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Their stories Chicago scholar focuses their work on LGBTQ+ seniors 2022-12-08|
- When we think about how LGBTQ+ age, helping people feel connected and "seen" is just one of the many ways a community can care for LGBTQ+ elders. It can contribute to their mental health as they ...
|Michael Horvich: A caregiver remembers his talented husband 2022-12-08|
- Michael Horvich has had many roles in his lifetime, among them teacher, photographer and author. However, one of his most important was being caregiver to Gregory MaireHorvich's husband of 41 years, who died in 2015. Maire ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|276,000 transgender adults in the U.S. are enrolled in Medicaid 2022-12-07|
-- From a press release - More than 40% lack guaranteed access to coverage for gender-affirming care under state law An estimated 276,000 transgender adults are enrolled in Medicaid in the U.S., according to a new analysis by the Williams Institute at ...
|Howard Brown Health set to lay off 15 percent of the staff, union members respond 2022-12-06|
- Just two months after Howard Brown Health (HBH) leadership and non-nurse employees represented by the Illinois Nurses Association (INA) finalized a three-year union contract, the nonprofit has announced that about ...
|Mpox Working Group sends letter to Congress calling for $900 million in funding 2022-12-06|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, in partnership with 39 other leading public health, HIV/AIDS, medical ...
|Santa Speedo Run returns with plenty of holiday cheer 2022-12-05|
- The 11th annual Santa Speedo Run took place at Sidetrack Video Bar Dec. 3. The event, a fundraiser for Center on Halsted, has grown exponentially year after year and has managed to take on a life ...
|NATIONAL Trans officials, marriage equality, Karl Schmid, Pelosi, Buttigieg 2022-12-04|
Video below - Once all of the newly elected officials are seated, there will be nine transgender state legislators (up from eight this year) and nine non-binary state legislators across the country, NBC News noted, citing The Victory Institute. ...
|Pritzker administration announces highly effective HIV treatment coming to Illinois in 2023 2022-12-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced today on World AIDS Day that a new, long-acting HIV treatment called Cabenuva will become available to thousands of ...
|GLAAD responds to renaming of Monkeypox 2022-11-30|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY) - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is responding to the World Health Organization (WHO) announcement recommending a new ...
|WHO renames monkeypox 2022-11-29|
- On Nov. 28, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that monkeypox has been renamed "mpox." According to a press release from the organization, "both names will be used simultaneously for one year while 'monkeypox' is phased out. " ...
|Chicago's COVID level returns to 'medium'; boosters/shots encouraged 2022-11-26|
- According to the latest information on the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) website, the city's COVID-19 risk level is now at medium level. In a news release, the Chicago Department of Public Health explained Cook ...
|Transgender Day of Resilience: Town Hall panelists tackle allyship, discrimination and immigration 2022-11-23|
- Brave Space Alliance (BSA), Life Is Work (LIW) and Chicago Therapy Collective (CTC) hosted three free events across the city that they namedTDOR Weekend: A New Era, Together to celebrate ...
|SHOWBIZ Grammy nominees, Gabrielle Union, Trevor Noah, Brendan Fraser 2022-11-20|
- Out Magazine compiled a list of some of the 2023 LGBTQA+ Grammy nominees. Among those on the list were Brandi Carlile (who earned another seven Grammy nominations this year, raising her career total to 25), Lady ...
|Center on Halsted hosts health resource event for LGBTQ+ seniors 2022-11-11|
- Center on Halsted hosted How to Plan for your Changing Health Needs, a Senior Citizen Resource Fair with a particular focus for members of the LGBTQ community on Nov. 8. A host of representatives from medical, ...