WINDY CITY TIMES
||MCA names Laura Herrera Senior Director of Communications and Content
--From a press release
This article shared 1645 times since Thu Aug 26, 2021
Madeleine Grynsztejn, Pritzker Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, announces the appointment of Laura Herrera as Senior Director of Communications and Content, a newly created position that advances the museum's values, mission, and efforts across all digital, interpretive, marketing, press, and publication platforms. In her new role, Herrera will catalyze the museum's vision to spark meaningful engagement with art, artists, and ideas, provide forums for new perspectives, and build bridges between people and communities. Herrera will focus on shaping a future MCA audience that reflects the ever-evolving cultural fabric of Chicago while maintaining the museum's international reputation for featuring influential and emerging artists and defining its work through the lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Herrera was most recently the Director of Communications at the Chicago History Museum where she led strategic integrated communications, audience research and data analysis, digital strategy, and content development. She will assume her new position at the MCA on September 13, 2021.
"Laura is an important addition to the MCA. Laura's goals and experiences align with the museum's objectives during a time of great social and cultural change, making her a perfect leader for our communications initiatives," says Madeleine Grynsztejn. "Laura's communications acumen is proven and impressive, and her intuition for the needs of audiences will allow us to continue to increase engagement and attendance among harder-to-reach Chicago communities. With her dedication to serving on the Chicago History Museum's diversity, equity, and inclusion committee as well as the OUT at CHM committee in her previous role, I feel that she will provide invaluable insight towards building a more equitable, visible, and transparent MCA ."
Herrera has spent the last 15 years working in strategic marketing and branding across the technology, advertising, hospitality, and non-profit industries and holds a B.A. in Marketing Communications from Columbia College Chicago. In her career, Herrera has worked towards understanding and connecting with audiences, and increasing civic activism and restorative justice through internal and external initiatives. Herrera has experience with strategic planning, creative direction, media relations, advertising, and social media, and is bilingual in English and Spanish.
Herrera says, "I am honored to become a part of the visionary team at the MCA as the Senior Director of Communications and Content. I am grateful for the opportunity to guide the MCA in expanding the participation and engagement of multiple museum audiences, as well as fostering greater empathy, understanding, and perspective through our work. Transitioning from a history museum to a museum dedicated to the work and ideas of living artists, I am excited to collaborate with the most relevant contemporary voices of our time and bolster the vibrancy of one of the most influential cultural institutions in the world. The MCA consistently engages in revelatory conversations that move the dial towards social justice and civic exchange; I look forward to contributing to that legacy and connecting with the many communities that the museum serves."
At the Chicago History Museum, Herrera led the redesigns of the museum's brand identity and website as well as new social media initiatives that increased museum admissions, web traffic, and sales profits, for example Herrera's 'Chicago History at Home' social media campaign which increased social media engagement by 83% and monthly website visitors by 35%. During her tenure, Herrera's creative efforts included the Chicago Hot Dog Fest and monthly 'History Happy Hour' programs which contributed to consistent attendance growth and increased audience participation. With Herrera overseeing an integrated brand strategy throughout the pandemic, the Chicago History Museum's reopening in 2020 exceeded pre-pandemic general attendance numbers. Herrera joins the museum in September.
This article shared 1645 times since Thu Aug 26, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Leslie Jordan, Joel Kim Booster, Janelle Monae 2022-11-27|
- Elton John gave Los Angeles concluded a three-show run on Nov. 20 back inside Dodger Stadium, taking a final bow as part of his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The concert ...
|Gay man to head Chicago Latino Theater Alliance 2022-11-15|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced the appointment of Jorge Valdivia as its new executive director, according to the Lawndale News. Valdivia's previous position was director of performing arts at the National Museum of Mexic ...
|School of the Art Institute auction on Nov. 1-14, auction party on Nov. 11 2022-11-01|
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is inviting all art collectors and enthusiasts to an online auction taking place Nov. 1-14 on Artsy.net, where a diverse group of SAIC alums and faculty will ...
|Queer Art announces 2023 Queer Art Mentorship Fellow 2022-11-01|
-- From a press release - Queer|Art, NYC's home for the creative and professional development of LGBTQ+ artists, is pleased to announce the new Fellows for the 2023 Queer|Art|Mentorship (QAM) program cycle. The Mentorship program is ...
|Chicago mural of Kanye West painted over in wake of antisemitic remarks 2022-10-27|
- A West Loop mural image of Ye, the artist formerly known as Kanye West, was painted over on Oct. 27, as fallout continued over the Chicago native's recent controversial and antisemitic public statements, The Chicago-Sun Times ...
|'Cirque Dreams Holidaze' to take place Dec. 22-24 2022-10-26|
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze is set to dazzle Chicago audiences with a Broadway-style production infused with contemporary circus arts. The production will play for six performances on Dec. 22-24 at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 Ida B. Wells ...
|Ginsburg, Morrison, women's soccer to be honored with stamps 2022-10-26|
- The U.S. Postal Service announced that the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the late author Toni Morrison (Beloved; The Bluest Eye) will be honored with new postage stamps next year. The sport of ...
|Chicago Artists Coalition announces departure of executive director 2022-10-18|
- Chicago Artists Coalition (CAC) announced that Teresa Silva, CAC's executive and artistic director, will leave the organization on Wed., Oct. 26. CAC Board Chair J. Gibran Villalobos will serve as interim executive director during the executiv ...
|ART McAninch Arts Center announces 'Warhol Public Pop Art Challenge' 2022-10-13|
- Following the success of the summer 2021 exhibition, "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will present "Warhol: Featuring Andy Warhol ...
|MOVIES 'Beyond Ed Buck' to kick off Black Alphabet Film Festival on Nov. 5 2022-10-13|
- Black Alphabeta nonprofit committed to promoting equity awareness on behalf of the Black LGBTQ+ community through the use of media and the artsannounced the 9th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival (BAFF) will kick off with the ...
|Art Institute revises Gonzales-Torres placard to include HIV-related details 2022-10-04|
- Art Institute of Chicago (AIC) has revised the label accompanying the Felix Gonzalez-Torres' installation "Untitled (Portrait of Ross in L.A.)" to reinstate references both to Gonzalez-Torres' partner Ross Laycock and ...
|DANCE Cerqua Rivera kickoff/benefit on Oct. 22 2022-09-30|
- Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre (CRDT) will hold its season kickoff/benefit on Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St., at 7:30 p.m. CRDT's Dance Ensemble and Jazz ...
|21c Museum Hotel Chicago launches art-centered series 2022-09-29|
- The spot 21c Museum Hotel Chicago, 55 E. Ontario St.which blurs the line between a contemporary art museum and a boutique hotelannounced plans for its fall/winter 2022 season and 2023 edition of the "Art of" a ...
|ART Chicago artist part of German exhibit 'Queering the Crip' 2022-09-25|
- "Queering the Crip, Cripping the Queer"—called the first international exhibit exploring the multiple historical, cultural and political intersections of queerness and disability—will take place through Jan. 30, 2023 at Berlin's ...
|Center on Halsted makes senior staff hires in development, DEI and culinary arts programs 2022-09-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Three senior hires have been added to Center on Halsted's staff recently. Brittany Terry was named senior director of diversity, equity, and inclusion/training services. Brad Snyder began work as chief development officer last month. ...