WINDY CITY TIMES
||MCA names Laura Herrera Senior Director of Communications and Content
--From a press release
This article shared 977 times since Thu Aug 26, 2021
Madeleine Grynsztejn, Pritzker Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, announces the appointment of Laura Herrera as Senior Director of Communications and Content, a newly created position that advances the museum's values, mission, and efforts across all digital, interpretive, marketing, press, and publication platforms. In her new role, Herrera will catalyze the museum's vision to spark meaningful engagement with art, artists, and ideas, provide forums for new perspectives, and build bridges between people and communities. Herrera will focus on shaping a future MCA audience that reflects the ever-evolving cultural fabric of Chicago while maintaining the museum's international reputation for featuring influential and emerging artists and defining its work through the lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Herrera was most recently the Director of Communications at the Chicago History Museum where she led strategic integrated communications, audience research and data analysis, digital strategy, and content development. She will assume her new position at the MCA on September 13, 2021.
"Laura is an important addition to the MCA. Laura's goals and experiences align with the museum's objectives during a time of great social and cultural change, making her a perfect leader for our communications initiatives," says Madeleine Grynsztejn. "Laura's communications acumen is proven and impressive, and her intuition for the needs of audiences will allow us to continue to increase engagement and attendance among harder-to-reach Chicago communities. With her dedication to serving on the Chicago History Museum's diversity, equity, and inclusion committee as well as the OUT at CHM committee in her previous role, I feel that she will provide invaluable insight towards building a more equitable, visible, and transparent MCA ."
Herrera has spent the last 15 years working in strategic marketing and branding across the technology, advertising, hospitality, and non-profit industries and holds a B.A. in Marketing Communications from Columbia College Chicago. In her career, Herrera has worked towards understanding and connecting with audiences, and increasing civic activism and restorative justice through internal and external initiatives. Herrera has experience with strategic planning, creative direction, media relations, advertising, and social media, and is bilingual in English and Spanish.
Herrera says, "I am honored to become a part of the visionary team at the MCA as the Senior Director of Communications and Content. I am grateful for the opportunity to guide the MCA in expanding the participation and engagement of multiple museum audiences, as well as fostering greater empathy, understanding, and perspective through our work. Transitioning from a history museum to a museum dedicated to the work and ideas of living artists, I am excited to collaborate with the most relevant contemporary voices of our time and bolster the vibrancy of one of the most influential cultural institutions in the world. The MCA consistently engages in revelatory conversations that move the dial towards social justice and civic exchange; I look forward to contributing to that legacy and connecting with the many communities that the museum serves."
At the Chicago History Museum, Herrera led the redesigns of the museum's brand identity and website as well as new social media initiatives that increased museum admissions, web traffic, and sales profits, for example Herrera's 'Chicago History at Home' social media campaign which increased social media engagement by 83% and monthly website visitors by 35%. During her tenure, Herrera's creative efforts included the Chicago Hot Dog Fest and monthly 'History Happy Hour' programs which contributed to consistent attendance growth and increased audience participation. With Herrera overseeing an integrated brand strategy throughout the pandemic, the Chicago History Museum's reopening in 2020 exceeded pre-pandemic general attendance numbers. Herrera joins the museum in September.
This article shared 977 times since Thu Aug 26, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Illinois organizations included in NEA's $33M grant dispersal 2022-01-16|
- The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) recently announced the first round of recommended awards for fiscal year 2022, with 1,498 awards totaling nearly $33.2 million, a press release stated. Grants for Arts Projects funding spans ...
|SHOWBIZ Music festivals, Murray Bartlett, Reese Witherspoon, author David Sedaris 2022-01-16|
- Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival revealed the lineup for this year's festival, taking place June 16-19 on the Bonnaroo Farm in Manchester, Tennessee, a press release noted. Highlights will include performances by Tool, J. Cole, Stevie ...
|WORLD German official, museum items, cake case 2022-01-09|
- WORLD COMPILED BY WCT STAFF In Senegal, lawmakers stopped from passing to parliamentary vote a draft bill that sought to toughen already severe laws against same-sex relations, Openly News reported. Gay sex is punishable by up ...
|THEATER 'Queens of Infinite Space' canceled because of COVID 2022-01-07|
- With the increase in COVID-19 cases in Chicago and beyond, Proboscis Theatre has decided to cancel the performances of The Queens of Infinite Space set to run at Epiphany Center for Arts, 201 S. Ashland Ave., ...
|Chicago's historic Fine Arts Building launches new website, ticketing for spring productions 2021-12-21|
- Chicago's Fine Arts Building, 410 S. Michigan Ave., launched its new look and a website with centralized ticketing and rental platforms that encompass all of the landmark building's spaces: artists' studios, offices, rehearsal halls and two ...
|Actor, poet, arts activist Jerrie Johnson talks new Amazon show 'Harlem,' other work 2021-12-20|
- Jerrie Johnson's mission to book a series regular role six months after finishing graduate school came to fruition when they (Johnson uses they/them pronouns) were cast as Tye, a lesbian dating app creator/CEO (who uses she/her ...
|ART DePaul exhibition to explore themes of torture, reparations 2021-12-17|
- DePaul Art Museum's exhibition "Remaking the Exceptional: Tea, Torture, and Reparations | Chicago to Guantanamo" marks 20 years since the opening of the United States' extralegal prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and examines the local and ...
|Pop-culture event C2E2 returns to Chicago 2021-12-14|
- The Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) returned to the South Building of McCormick Place on Dec. 10-12. It was a different season to hold the convention that usually happens in the summer, but organizers wanted ...
|Photography giant Annie Leibovitz talks 'Wonderland' at Chicago Humanities Festival 2021-12-13|
- In its classic style of spotlighting creative humans, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) hosted "Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Annie Leibovitz: Wonderland" on Dec. 7 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance. ...
|THEATER REVIEW Mr. Dickens' Hat 2021-12-09|
- Title: Mr. Dickens' Hat. Playwright: Michael Hollinger At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. in Skokie. Tickets: $30-$89; Northlight.org . Runs through: Jan. 2 Dickens was NOT dead ...
|Autistic ChicanIndia queer artist Sabrina Zarco discusses creative process 2021-12-06|
- Sabrina Zarco is a ChicanIndia queer femme multi-media artist. She is also an activist, poet, cultural worker and community educator. Her visual artwork, or "artivist work," as Zarco calls it on her website, documents stories often ...
|ART Wrightwood 659 exhibits extended into 2022 2021-12-06|
- Two exhibitions currently on view at Wrightwood 659a private, non-collecting institution at 659 W. Wrightwood Ave. devoted to socially engaged art and to architecturewill be extended through Feb. 26, 2022. "Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works ...
|ART 'Frida: Immersive Dream' coming to Germania Place in 2022 2021-11-30|
- Lighthouse Immersive, North America's leading producer of ground-breaking experiential art exhibits, and Maestro Immersive Art announce their newest immersive art installation, "Frida: Immersive Dream." This exhibition will run at Lighthouse ...
|MCA announces new curatorial leadership 2021-11-18|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) announces the appointments of two new leaders to its curatorial teamRene Morales, as the James W. Alsdorf Chief Curator; and Jamillah James, as Manilow Senior Curator. Morales and James ...
|ATTRACTIONS 'The Dr. Seuss Experience' at Water Tower Place 2021-11-12|
- It's certainly a time and place to be immersed in nostalgia. The family-friendly attraction "The Dr. Seuss Experience" is running through Jan. 2, 2022, at Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. It's certainly hard to ...