WINDY CITY TIMES
||Lollapalooza: Music, merriment and mud
by Jerry Nunn, Windy City Times
This article shared 3100 times since Wed Aug 10, 2011
Lollapalooza celebrated its 20th year and broke attendance records, with more than 270,000 paying customers. (There were also the bracelet-switchers and fence-jumpers.) Grant Park became "muddypalooza" as the weather changed drastically throughout the weekend. Many volunteers and crew worked through the rain that poured on Sunday several times but did not halt the music.
The Cars cruised along with hits from the '80s; meanwhile, Flogging Molly did an Irish jig on the other side of the park. Groups from the past such as Big Audio Dynamite played on the same stage as heavy-hitters Coldplay and Foo Fighters. Rapper Eminem packed the area, possibly because no other musician with his kind of following competed on an opposite stage. The "Love the Way You Lie" rapper even had Bruno Mars appear for his single "Lights" as watchers followed suit by flicking their Bics. Cee-Lo Green channeled Lady Gaga with spiked shoulder pads and said to the fans, "Don't you dare let this wonderful outfit go to waste!" Arctic Monkeys continued playing through a downpour while Damian Marley summoned the ghost of his legendary father, Bob.
Deadmau5 may have had the biggest fan base, with people tattooed and wearing mouse ears to show their appreciation. Where was the country music? Well, it wasn't here as almost every other musical genre was represented. Without Gaga this year our people were represented by open lesbian Kate from An Horse and gay supporters such as the band Deluka.
Late-nighters attended club after-parties each evening with such acts as Fitz and the Tantrums and Foster the People, with a DJ set by actor Elijah Wood at the W Chicago and Hard Rock.
People may not grasp how the event takes over the city with all the stages and masses of people (of which 40 percent were out-of-towners). This year the area was expandedand the crowds needed the room to roam from stage to stage.
Perry Ferrell announced at a press conference that he will now be expanding the festival to Brazil after a successful run in Chile. Check www.lollapalooza.com for more updates. Photos by Jerry Nunn
This article shared 3100 times since Wed Aug 10, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|Lyric Opera running seven performances of 'The Magic Flute' Nov. 3-27 2021-10-11|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is running seven performances of The Magic Flute, Mozart's final opera, on Nov. 3-27. There will be performances at 7 p.m. on Nov. 3; matinees on Nov. 7, 11, 14 and 17, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...
|Book about musician Tori Amos' works coming out 2021-10-07|
- The book Tori Amos: every album, every songby rock journalist Lisa Toremwill be out in the United States on Friday, Oct. 29, courtesy of Sonic Bond Publishing. In 1992, Amosan acclaimed singer, pianist and composerachieved fame ...
|MUSIC Rachael Sage at Uncommon Ground on Oct. 14 2021-10-06|
- Rachael Sagedescribed as an "award-winning singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist and member/supporter of the LGBTQ+ community"will perform at Uncommon Ground-Lake View, 3800 N. Clark St., on Thursday, Oct. 14, at 8 p.m. ...
|Opera singer Ketelson to give Center on Halsted performance 2021-10-05|
- World renowned bass-baritone opera singer Kyle Ketelsen will perform Italian arias at the Center on Halsted to raise funds both to support his alma mater, Clinton (Iowa) High School (Vocal Department) and Care for Real Pantry ...
|Pride Fest sees rainbows over rain 2021-10-05|
- After last year's COVID-related cancellation, the LGBTQ+-focused outdoor affair Pride Fest returned to Lake View after a delay of a few months, as it usually takes place in June. An additional full day was added to ...
|R. Kelly found guilty of racketeering 2021-09-27|
- On Sept. 27, a federal jury in Brooklyn convicted embattled R&B singer R. Kelly of racketeering by a federal jury in Brooklyn, the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York said, according to ...
|THEATER 'Moulin Rouge!,' gay play 'The Inheritance' win top Tonys 2021-09-27|
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical was the runaway winner at the Tony Awards on Sept. 26, snagging 10 awards. Among its honors were Best Musical, Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical ...
|MOVIES 24-hour horror marathon at Music Box on Oct. 23-24 2021-09-24|
- "The Music Box of Horrors," sponsored by CreepyCo., will return to the Music Box Theatre, 3733 N. Southport Ave., from noon on Saturday, Oct. 23 through noon on Sunday, Oct. 24. The event will include special ...