WINDY CITY TIMES
||Local minister views for own show
This article shared 2381 times since Wed Jun 23, 2010
At age 59 and after running in her first marathon at 58, Deborah E. Lake is competing in Oprah Winfrey's search for the next TV host. "Having my own television program is a life-long dream," said Lake when asked why she decided to compete. Over the past 10 years while in Chicago, she produced and hosted her own cable access television program, was editor and main contributer for the non-profit E-news letter, Sankofa News, and published her first book, Your Neighbor Has AIDS. Lake is currently in the final stages of completing her next book, and produces and hosts her own BlogTalkRadio show. Her show, with a wide national and international audience, will cross the one-year mark in July.
Lake's proposed show for OWN TV is called the Deborah E. Lake Show and will expand the format that she has created through her radio show. She will explore issues that are difficult to discuss ( or are not discussed at all ) , and encourage celebrities, community leaders, and every day people to join in dialogue about the things that affect them.
"Oprah is the most powerful woman in the media," Lake said. "The fact that she has opened this door for so many people says a great deal about her dedication to empower people, and that's something we have in common."
Visit tinyurl.com/2dn8j5u to vote for the Deborah E. Lake television show.
This article shared 2381 times since Wed Jun 23, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV 2021-10-17|
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State and Lambda Legal, together with the law firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), along ...
|OP-ED The Black church was one of R. Kelly's enablers 2021-10-13|
- The long-awaited justice for R. Kelly's survivors finally came last month when a New York federal jury found him guilty of racketeering and sex trafficking. For nearly 30 years, underage Black girls and their families have ...
|Urban Village Church hosting drag worship service, Pride prom Oct. 10 2021-10-04|
- On Sunday, Oct. 10, Urban Village Church (UVC) will host a drag worship service at its Wicker Park site, 1012 N. Noble St. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. (CST) with performances from local drag artists, including ...
|THEATER REVIEW Thirteen Days 2021-09-29|
- Thirteen Days. adapted by Brian Pastor from the book by Robert F. Kennedy At: City Lit Theatre at Edgewater Presbyterian Church, 1030 West Bryn Mawr Ave., Tickets: $27-$32. Runs through: Oct. 24 Palace Intrigue has been ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|Former bishop who pushed for LGBTQ+ inclusion dies at 90 2021-09-19|
- Retired Newark Bishop John Shelby Sponga best-selling author and cleric known for his progressive theology and his support of women and LGBTQ+ clergy in The Episcopal Churchhas died at age 90, Episcopal News Service reported. "It ...
|Affirming Powerhouse Church establishes permanent home in Chicago 2021-09-18|
- Powerhouse Church has come a long way in a decade. Out Pastor Keith McQueen recently told Windy City Times about the church's history. "We actually started in Indianapolis in 2012, and after a series of supernatural ...
|Pope again refuses to bless same-sex marriages 2021-09-18|
- Pope Francis told reporters recently on a return flight from Hungary that the Catholic Church is unable to bless same-sex marriages because marriage is a divine sacrament between a man and a woman, per The Advocate. ...
|Catholic theologians urge protections for LGBTQ+ people 2021-09-14|
- More than 750 of the nation's leading Catholic theologians, church leaders, scholars, educators and writers have joined New Ways Ministry in voicing support for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people, according to a New Ways press release. ...
|Wisconsin priest resigns over allegations of 'improper behavior' 2021-07-21|
- Citing allegations of "possible improper behavior," the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) announced the resignation of its top administrative official: Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill, who previously served in Wisconsin, the ...
|WORLD Historic ruling, Pope Francis, photo contest, Methodist Church 2021-07-04|
- In a first-of-its-kind decision in Latin America, The Inter-American Court of Human Rights found the Honduran state guilty of the extrajudicial execution of transgender activist Vicky Hernandez, which occurred June 28-29, 2009, according to The Washington ...
|NCLR campaign to highlight LGBTQ-welcoming faith-based service providers 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Today, the National Center for Lesbian Rights launched the "We Serve with Love" campaign, which seeks to demonstrate that faith-based service organizations and programs are ready to serve low-income LGBTQ people and ...
|Contradicting Vatican, U.S. Catholics to bless LGBTQ+ people at start of Pride month 2021-06-01|
--From a press release - In response to the Vatican's March statement that blessings for same-sex couples are not possible under Church teaching, hundreds of Catholics across the U.S. have signed up to participate in an online blessing service to mark ...
|Pfleger reinstated at South Side church after investigation 2021-05-25|
- Cardinal Blase Cupich told parishioners that the Rev. Michael Pfleger will return to the pulpit at his South Side parish after a Chicago archdiocese panel found "insufficient reason to suspect" that he is guilty of sexual-abuse ...
|Evangelical Lutherans select first transgender bishop 2021-05-10|
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church elected its first openly transgender bishop on May 8, The Hill reported. The Rev. Megan Rohrer, who uses the pronouns they/them, was elected bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Sierra ...