WINDY CITY TIMES
||Local activist Thayer among OUT's Power 50
by Andrew Davis, Windy City Times
This article shared 1495 times since Thu Apr 26, 2012
Local gay-rights activist Andy Thayer is part of OUT Magazine's Power 50 list this year.
The Power 50, according to a press release, represents "a who's who of prominent gay men and women representing all walks of life."
Thayer, a co-founder of Chicago's Gay Liberation Network, is among "15 influential notables who should not be ignored," Here Media's Mark Umbach emailed Windy City Times. Thayer has organized and/or participated in numerous protests, and has taken his activism overseas, getting arrested in Moscow, Russia.
Apple CEO Tim Cook is number one. Others in the top 10 include (in order) Ellen DeGeneres, venture capitalist Peter Thiel, TV director/producer Ryan Murphy, political commentator Rachel Maddow, talk-show host Anderson Cooper, Disney Chair Rich Ross (who recently left his position), exec Barry Diller, news anchor Shepard Smith and Bravo exec Andy Cohen.
Others in the top 50 include financial guru Suze Orman, columnist/"It Gets Better" co-creator Dan Savage and actress Jane Lynch. Orman and Savage were born in Chicago; Lynch was born in Dolton, Ill.
This article shared 1495 times since Thu Apr 26, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Trans woman D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith, a victim of violence, dies 2021-09-24|
- D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith was shot and killed Sept. 6 at the Prestige Motel in Dolton, Illinois. She was 27. A Human Rights Campaign report showed that, in 2020, a record 44 transgender, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming ...
|Former HRC President Alphonso David accuses organization of racism 2021-09-13|
- Former Human Rights Campaign (HRC) President Alphonso David opened up about the fallout from the investigation into former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) that eventually led to his own firing—and accused the HRC of racism, ...
|HRC fires its president, Alphonso David 2021-09-07|
- On Sept. 6, the national LGBTQ+ organization the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) fired its president, Alphonso David, for advising now-former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) during his sexual-harassment scandal ...
|HRC president refuses to resign, despite co-chairs' reported request 2021-09-06|
- Alphonso David, the president of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), has refused to resign in the midst of controversyeven after the organization's co-chairs reportedly requested that he do so. According to NBC New York, David is ...
|Illinois Holocaust Museum to show LGBTQ+ exhibit starting Oct. 17 2021-09-03|
- Starting Oct. 17, Skokie's Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center will host the exhibit "Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement," which explores the June 1969 police raid of the Stonewall Inn as the flashpoint ...
|Chicago pro-choice activists outraged by SCOTUS' refusal to overturn Texas abortion ban 2021-09-03|
--From a multi-organization press release - Calling it a blow to women and all abortion rights supporters nationwide, coalition calls for reversal of the Texas Law SB8, and demands "No Abortion Bans Anywhere: Not Now; Not Ever! Defend Roe!" Several Chicago groups ...
|Ukraine president promises to fight for LGBTQ rights 2021-09-02|
- On Sept. 1, the president of Ukraine said his country will continue to fight anti-LGBTQ discrimination, The Washington Blade reported. "With U.S. support, Ukraine will continue to advance respect for human rights, civil liberties and fundamental ...
|WORLD WorldPride items, Afghanistan resident, Irish exhibit, Poland 2021-08-29|
- The WorldPride 2021 Human Rights Conference that took place in Copenhagen was the largest in-person LGBTQ rights gathering since the pandemic began, the Los Angeles Blade reported. More than 1,000 LGBTQ activists from around the world ...
|Quigley, Equality Caucus ask Biden to emphasize LGBTQ+ rights when Ukraine president visits 2021-08-26|
- U.S. Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Illinois), along with 20 members of the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus, sent a letter to President Joe Biden asking him to emphasize the importance of LGBTQ+ rights in Ukraine during Ukrainian President ...
|Report features eight Illinois child-welfare agencies working with HRC Foundation 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a new report ...
|Appellate Court of Illinois vindicates transgender woman in fight against Hobby Lobby 2021-08-17|
--From a Lambda Legal press release - CHICAGO — The Second District Appellate Court of Illinois Friday found that Hobby Lobby violated the Illinois Human Rights Act when it barred Meggan Sommerville, a transgender woman and employee of more than 20 years, from ...
|Illinois Appellate Court upholds trans bias ruling against Hobby Lobby 2021-08-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — In a case of first impression, the Illinois Second District Appellate Court of Illinois issued an opinion on Aug. 13 upholding the decision of the Illinois Human Rights Commission (IHRC) decision under the Illinois ...
|HRC launches probe of president after Cuomo report is released 2021-08-10|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and its foundation have hired a prominent law firm to investigate the organization's president, Alphonso David, in helping New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo respond to accusations of sexual harassment, according to ...
|HRC president implicated in Cuomo report 2021-08-07|
- The report finding New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo violated the law by sexually harassing as many as 11 women on his staff has ensnared Human Rights Campaign (HRC) President Alphonso David, The Washington Blade reported. Although ...
|Equality Illinois' new deputy director talks goals, position and books 2021-08-01|
- On July 15, Mony Ruiz-Velasco officially started in the new position of Equality Illinois' deputy director. Ruiz-Velasco is an experienced attorney who has worked for immigrants rights for many years, and has even been the legal ...