||Live Nation, AEG cancel Buju Banton shows
This article shared 3171 times since Tue Sep 1, 2009
Concert promoter Live Nation is canceling all of its concerts with Jamaican musician Buju Banton, who has called for the killing of gay people in his songs, according to a press release from local group Gay Liberation Network ( GLN ) .
In addition, PR Newswire has reported that AEG Live/Goldenvoice ( producer of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival ) has also canceled its Banton concerts.
In early August, GLN launched a campaign for Live Nation and other promoters to cancel Banton's shows. Bob Schwartz, a member of GLN, had written Live Nation CEO Michael Rapino.
Banton had been scheduled to perform at House of Blues venues in Chicago ( Oct. 2 ) , Las Vegas ( Oct. 15 ) , Dallas ( Oct. 20 ) and Houston ( Oct. 22 ) .
"Live Nation, owner of four House of Blues locations at which 'kill gays' singer Buju Banton was scheduled to appear, has done the right thing and canceled the hate monger," Schwartz said in a statement. "These cancellations show the power of protest to deliver the goods."
GLN and other groups, such as Sankofa Way, have protested so-called "murder music" shows over the years.
"I hope this victory sends a deafeningly loud message to other promoters and concert venues, that singers who glorify violence against LGBT people, or any group of people, should never be welcomed," said L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center Chief Executive Officer Lorri L. Jean, according to PR Newswire. "It shouldn't be necessary for us to pressure promoters to do the right thing; people like Banton should never have been booked in the first place."
This article shared 3171 times since Tue Sep 1, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Celebrities voice support for LGBTQ+ students at religious schools 2022-03-16|
-- From a press release - Alan Cumming, Dominique Jackson, Michael Urie, and Margaret Cho are among the celebrities shining a light on how taxpayer dollars are being used to fund LGBTQ+ discrimination at faith-based schools and colleges. In a new PSA, ...
|Michigan Supreme Court hears LGBTQ-discrimination case 2022-03-03|
- On March 2, the Michigan Supreme Court heard a case to decide if the state's civil-rights law offers protections against discrimination for LGBTQ people in in employment, housing, education and public accommodations, Michigan Radio reported. Attorneys ...
|NATIONAL Legislation, Alabama liaisons, homicide case, dashboard, Buttigieg 2022-02-13|
- A bipartisan group of Arizona lawmakers that includes the Republican House speaker announced it was introducing legislation that would, for the first time, protect LGBTQ people from discrimination by businesses ...
|LGBTQ+ youth advocates call for action after increased bullying reports 2021-11-24|
- Officials from LGBTQ+-advocacy organizations Equality Illinois, Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Rainbow Cafe and Youth Outlook announced a sharp increase in the number of bullying incidents directed against LGBTQ+ students across ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...
|"Safe Schools For All" to help students take action against bullying 2021-11-17|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON As schools and school districts across the country face hostile protests of LGBTQI+ inclusive education, students who are experiencing discrimination, bullying and harassment based on their sexual orientation ...
|More than a quarter of LGBT state, local employees face discrimination at work 2021-11-16|
--From a Williams Institute press release - More than one-quarter of LGBT state and local employees have experienced discrimination at work About half of LGBT people who work in education and law enforcement are not out to their supervisors Over 600,000 LGBT employees ...
|New study reveals disparities for LGBTQ+ seniors 2021-10-07|
- Although many LGBTQ+ seniors have lived through the arc of the LGBTQ-rights movement, they are nevertheless often forgotten in conversations about discrimination. A new study is shedding light on that omission. AARP Illinois and SAGE Research's ...
|Born Perfect, Enfranchisement release all-star video combating conversion therapy 2021-10-06|
--From a press release. Video below - SAN FRANCISCO, CA BOBBY'S BIG PROBLEM, produced by Born Perfect and Enfranchisement, was released today digitally, featuring a celebrity cast, including Patton Oswalt, D'Arcy Carden, Jasika Nicole, and RB Butcher. The video tells the stor ...
|LGBTQ blood donation discrimination assessed, PULSE shootings cited 2021-09-21|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Last week, Reps. Mike Quigley (IL-05), Val B. Demings (FL-10), Carolyn B. Maloney (NY-12), Adam B. Schiff (CA-28), Barbara Lee (CA-13), and Ritchie Torres (NY-15) received a ...
|One in ten LGBT workers experienced discrimination at work in the last year 2021-09-07|
- LGBT employees of color were more likely to report being denied jobs and verbal harassment A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds an estimated 46% of LGBT workers have experienced ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|Ukraine president promises to fight for LGBTQ rights 2021-09-02|
- On Sept. 1, the president of Ukraine said his country will continue to fight anti-LGBTQ discrimination, The Washington Blade reported. "With U.S. support, Ukraine will continue to advance respect for human rights, civil liberties and fundamental ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation to prevent hair discrimination in schools 2021-08-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - On Aug. 13, Gov. JB Pritzker signed Senate Bill 817 into law, prohibiting schools from issuing policies on hairstyles historically associated with race or ethnicity. The legislation addresses injustices in dress code polices and ...
|Bill would expose schools that discriminate against LGBTQ students 2021-07-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark (MA-5) and Representatives Chris Pappas (NH-1), Sharice Davids (KS-3), and Mondaire Jones (NY-17) introduced the Exposing Discrimination in ...