WINDY CITY TIMES
||Legendary costume designer accused of sexual harassment, abuse
This article shared 1112 times since Sat Nov 20, 2021
Legendary costume designer and six-time Tony winner William Ivey Longa onetime head of the American Theatre Wing, which gives out the Tony Awardshas been accused of sexual harassment and abuse by two different men, according to a Queerty item that cites NPR.
Court Watson and Michael Martin both say they were abused by Long between 1996 and 2002 when they were college students and working on a production in North Carolina called The Lost Colony.
NPR also unearthed a long-buried 2002 lawsuit related to "The Lost Colony" that contains additional allegations of sexual misconduct against Long, including claims that he forced two other men to have sex with each other while a board member of the theater watched. The lawsuit, which was ultimately settled out of court, also accuses Long of performing oral sex on a man against his wishes and then asking him to find "young boys with whom Mr. Long could engage in homosexual activity."
Long is best known for designing costumes for the Broadway revival of Chicago, as well as recent shows like Beetlejuice and Tootsie. He was most recently involved with Diana: The Musical, which just opened on Broadway. In a statement, the producers of Diana: The Musical say they were aware of the allegations and mutually agreed to part ways with Long last summer so he could "address them in his own way."
The NPR article is at www.npr.org/2021/11/16/1054756926/william-ivey-long-broadway-sexual-abuse.
This article shared 1112 times since Sat Nov 20, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|About Face to run immersive comedy about climate-change activism 2022-05-27|
- About Face Theatre brings its 27th season to a close with a world premiere comedy created by and starring the About Face Youth Theatre ensemble. Gayme Changers will run June 18-24 at The Den Theater, 1331 ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf's gay-themed 'Choir Boy' to run June 16-July 24 2022-05-26|
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company will run the Tony-nominated play Choir Boy. by Oscar-winning Steppenwolf ensemble member Tarell Alvin McCraney (Moonlight), on June 16-July 24. Directed by Kent Gash, the production features ...
|THEATER REVIEW Seagull 2022-05-25|
- Title: Seagull. Playwright: Anton Chekhov At: Steppenwolf Theatre, 1650 N. Halsted St.; Steppenwolf.org Tickets: $20-$88. Runs through: June 12 The final test of success for any undertaking lies in how well it accomplishes its intended purpose. ...
|THEATER Lesbian-cruise drama 'Seven Days at Sea' running thru June 5 2022-05-25|
- Light and Sound Productions is running the world premiere of Seven Days at Sea, written by Martha Hansen and directed by Margaret Knapp, through Sunday, June 5, at The Edge Theater, 5451 N. Broadway. The performance ...
|THEATER Musical 'Get Out Alive' running July 8-Aug. 7 2022-05-23|
- Haven will continue its 2021-22 season with Nikki Lynette's multidisciplinary afrogoth musical Get Out Alive, co-directed by Roger Ellis and Lucky Stiff, which features the writer and her personal journey with mental health. The production will ...
|Billy Masters: Theater 2022-05-23|
- "Well, thanks Colin. That's the end of my career. Because you know, that role really should have been mine."Rupert Everett tells Piers Morgan his reaction when he heard Colin Firth would play the lead in Tom ...
|PREVIEW Here comes the sun: Summer plays are blooming indoors and outside 2022-05-22|
- There were times when we thought that the sunshine would never return, but despite climate change and contagion, there's no stopping summer—and while we usually associate expanded daylight hours with outdoor activities, a number of theaters ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, JoJo Siwa, WEHO Pride, 'Jurassic World,' Madonna 2022-05-22|
- The Broadway League announced that all 41 Broadway theaters in New York City have extended the current mask requirement for audiences through at least June 30, Playbill noted. Charlotte St. Martin, president of The Broadway League, ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Chinese Lady 2022-05-22|
- It began in 1834 as an advertising gimmick: In order to promote sales of their Far East Oriental imported goods, the Carnes Brothers procured their company a real-life spokesperson. This was the teenage Afong Moy, known ...
|THEATER Season of Concern to present 'Jerry's Girls' on June 27 2022-05-21|
- "Jerry's Girls: A Benefit for Season of Concern" will take place Monday, June 27, at 7:30 p.m. at Victory Gardens Theater, 2433 N. Lincoln Ave. Season of Concern Chicago is dedicated to providing financial assistance to ...
|Quiz program 'Wait, Wait' to start taping June 16 at the Studebaker 2022-05-16|
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, NPR's weekly hour-long quiz program, will resume live audience recordings Thursday, June 16, in a new Chicago home: the historic Studebaker Theater at the Fine Arts Building, 401 S. Michigan Ave. ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|THEATER 'The Secretaries: A Parable' running through June 11 2022-05-12|
- First Floor Theater returns to live production with the world premiere of company member Omer Abbas Salem's The Secretaries: A Parable following the script's 2021 development as part of Goodman Theatre's Future Labs. The production will ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|FILM 'The Adventures of Priscilla' to show nationwide on June 2 2022-05-11|
- Iconic Events Releasing will kick off Pride Month with a special nationwide rerelease of MGM's classic 1994 Australian film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Screenings will take place in select theaters nationwide on ...